PDA

View Full Version : Lost all power

Sid Tuls
01-19-2009, 12:58 PM
I'am traveling and all of a sudden no power?? Any ideas what to look for?? I have a call into prevost. I know that I have no boast on my gage. Just to let you know I was just going about 65 mph down the 210 and boom no power. Thanks :confused:

Ray Davis
01-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Sid,

Do you mean no power, i.e. a lack of power, but still drivable, or the engine shut down?

Sid Tuls
01-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi Ray,

1 no can't drive it engine runs just 0 power.

2 Just got off the phone with Prevost Mira Loma and that had me do a few things and found it's a broken hose by the turbo. I hope I said all this correctly. Dee and Fernando walk me thru this and they are going to send someone soon. I'll let you know how it goes in a little while.

Ray Davis
01-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Keep us posted ....

Sid Tuls
01-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Ray, just a thought how often do you think a bus needs to have all hoses and maybe clamps replaced? Do ya think a guy just needs to replace them all? I'am glad it happen here in Pasadena and not in a remote area in my travels to Amarillo.

Ray Davis
01-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Sid,

I'm certainly no expert, but I wouldn't have expected a hose failure on a 2007 coach. I'm sure others will chime in.

Ray

Joe Cannarozzi
01-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Specify better. Will it start and run at all or did it shut down and will not restart?

Do you have a reader? Sounds like a sensor.

Steve Bennett
01-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Sid, my guess would be it was left loose by someone servicing the coach. Typically this is not a common failure.

hhoppe
01-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Sid: Prevost people will get you up and running. I know how terrifying it is to have your bus suddenly loose power. Thankfully our busses are equipped to handle these situations without damaging themselves. There are a few things to learn to do as the driver to get you out of harms way in the case of a shutdown or power loss. I think it would be a good subject for discussion at our upcoming rally. Above all don't get spooked there are answers to all problems large and small in operating our technical wonders. That's why we all hang together comparing experiances and have Jon's number on our cell phone. ( Prevost has a good 24/7 service hot line also. ) Bring your questions to the rally and I'm sure there will be discussions with answers. See you soon.

Orren Zook
01-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Sid,

Any excessive exhaust smoke when you experienced the loss of power? No Power + No Boost = No Turbo

garyde
01-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi Sid. We all forget to do thorough pre -trip inspections, but add hose inspections to the list.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-19-2009, 10:51 PM
I have blown plumbing leading to the turbo before.

It does not leave you completely unable to function. Power is drastically reduced but you can continue on to a safe spot to check your shorts.:o

It happened to me on mechanical engines and when it did they smoked like hell.

If I had to guess the computers would probably cut the fuel back and prevent that aspect to some degree, unless possibly shutting them down as Sid experienced. We will see.

The weak link are the short 4 in rubber connectors that attach the metal plumbing together. Sometimes when slight it whines and if slightly worse they can make a sound like a whoopee cushion. Cummins used to have an aluminum cast piece off the intake that cracked on me and I put out so much black smoke they could not see behind me for a couple of hundred feet but again that was a mechanical engine.

My first guess is a sensor shut down Sid unless it was the computer itself.

Sid Tuls
01-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone. It was 7 inch rubber connection on the the turbo it has 4 clamps and the hose slides in between . Prevost Mira Loma had me going in 2hours and 45 minutes from the time I called them. They had to travel 50 miles to get to me so I'am a happy camper. To answer the comments the bus just lost all the boast, all I could do is just move on the side of the Hwy. Well I'am Home and that's it for today. Thanks for the concerns :)

Joe Cannarozzi
01-20-2009, 09:42 AM
I need to do a better job of reading what people post:o

It looks like the computer has eliminated the excessive smoke that used to occur when one of these hoses fails but the symptoms are still the same.

Rubbing is a common reason for one of these hoses going bad. On a bran new bus like Sids I would guess a defective part.