PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filters

garyde
01-17-2009, 10:04 PM
I have purchased new fuel filters for my Generator and my Webasto. In the instructuions for replacing fuel fillter, the Generator manual instructions says to turn off the fuel vallve. Well, I can not find any shut off valves on either the Webasto nor the Generator fuel lines. I'm wondering if I should install some. I guess I'll have to clamp the lines in the mean time. Any comments?

dalej
01-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Gary,

I don't have any shut offs on the items you mentioned. I just unscrew the filters and installed the new ones pre-filled with diesel.

flyu2there
01-17-2009, 10:57 PM
I have purchased new fuel filters for my Generator and my Webasto. In the instructuions for replacing fuel fillter, the Generator manual instructions says to turn off the fuel vallve. Well, I can not find any shut off valves on either the Webasto nor the Generator fuel lines. I'm wondering if I should install some. I guess I'll have to clamp the lines in the mean time. Any comments?

Gary,

Fuel filter (s) Generator....? Mine is a few year older than yours and a different coach brand, if you will, but the generator is pretty common to all, has two fuel filters. One on the engine, mine, an Isuzu, has a little petcock just above the fuel filter (spin on) and a Racor a few feet upstream. Take the T handle off the Racor and your in business, no SOV here.

Webasto..uggh! Mine takes two puny little plastic filters that are way overpriced for what one gets......no shut off valve here, just some Rube Goldberg rubber hosing.....put the inbound hose up high with a clamp while you change out the filter (s) and you are in business. Fuel Filters...Webasto...like putting perfume on a pig!

Don't forget to fill up the filters on the generator with fuel.....but you knew that.

John

truk4u
01-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Gary - I have clamped the hoses while changing the fuel filters and also just changed them out and didn't see much difference. Just fill the new filters before installing. You will still get a little air. The gen will stumble and miss, but smoothes out quickly.

Here's a set of hose clamps that the Tool Man Keller found and made me buy:

Fly Dude - Get a Liberty and you'll get a REAL filter for the Webasto.:D:D

garyde
01-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Thnks Tom. That is the size filter I have on my Webasto.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-18-2009, 02:54 PM
The fuel lines going to my gen are very rigid and I would be damaging them if I were to try to clamp them off..

I too have no shutoffs and accept for some spillage from the full filter it was a non event.

flyu2there
01-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Tom,

Talk about putting perfume on a pig!! Feed it Beluga Caviar and Dom Perignon to boot! All a Webasto needs for a filter is a Wal-Mart strainer!!

John

truk4u
01-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I hear ya you ole tin driver, but that big filter is sure easy to change..;)

JIM KELLER
01-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Tom, I have used those clamps twice now. Once was to change the water pumps and boy do they work great ! They don't damage or rupture the hoses and very easy to use.

Jerry Winchester
01-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Jim,

Did you get those from the tool place in Sevierville and forget to tell me? I thought you were supposed to post about all new tools and gadgets that were added to your collection.......

BTW, I am still enjoying my knife. I owe you for that one.

JDUB

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Yeah Jim, no secrets here, remember! ;)

Declare your source.

JIM

JIM KELLER
01-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Jerry, I think I picked up that set in Sevierville but don't remember for sure. It seems like it all runs together some times. I'll have to ask Dale Farley. His mind is clear as a bell and he will remember.

Glad you like your knife. I don't leave home without it. Nice to have you as a member of the distinguished Men's Knife Club.

Sorry I still can't post pictures of the stuff I buy. Truk gave me an Introductory Class a few weeks ago. Hopefully He will stop by again and give me another training class.

gmcbuffalo
01-19-2009, 10:36 PM
I used to clean beer coils and taps in a earlier life and had to clamp fluid filled lines all the time. I used a set of vise grips that had long pointed jaws and pushed plastic hose of the jaws. Just adjust the visegrips so they go on easy with just enough pressure to occuded the hose and not damage it.
GregM