PDA

View Full Version : Places I would avoid.

Kenneth Brewer
01-17-2009, 05:43 PM
In case anyone is interested and wants to know, and unless things have changed drastically in 2 months, I would stay the hell away from White's City (the rv campground) in New Mexico, just outside Carlsbad Caverns.
While it had been recently bought out by another entity, we found the electrical hookups to be seriously faulty if not dangerous (if they worked at all). You are told to hunt around for the few 50 amp sites. We found what were apparently ground/neutral problems, as well as faulty breakers (or no power to them). I did not investigate any further because I could run off the batteries (no a/c needed at the time), and because it was pitch black outside and very tight for big rigs.

Furthermore, the entrance gate (normally operated by keppad access code I think) was defunct (they did mention that). It was two-way two lane past the gate island and overgrown with vegetation that apparently was not plant but iron based because it scratched the hell out of the sides of the coach.

Maintenance was nonexistant if you ask me, but at the site we wound up on, the sewer line worked and there was water too. We stayed 2 nights.

Stay away. That is all.

dreamchasers
01-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Kenneth,

I have read reviews of White's City RV Park and they all sing your tune. Sounds like a crappy place, but it's location will keep people trying it.

Lee and I have not been to Carlsbad yet, but we hope to see it soon.

Thanks for the tip.

Hector

lewpopp
01-17-2009, 10:12 PM
I'll bet you guys were looking for a "deal". Right?

Kenneth Brewer
01-17-2009, 10:52 PM
I'll bet you guys were looking for a "deal". Right?

No, not at all. The Carlsbad KOA is miles away, and I was/am not a great fan of KOAs in general, mainly because the smaller more remote ones don't really handle larger coaches very well. I thought, erroneously, that because White's City was a complex that included hotel, pool, restaurant, etc. it would be decent. And I bought the ad talk on the website.

merle&louise
01-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Ken,

I have been in RV parks like the one you describe, and I have learned to rely on Big Rigs Best Bets book. Ken Hammil has done a great job of traveling the USA and actually staying in each RV park in the book.

Ray Davis
01-19-2009, 12:29 PM
In case you are not familiar, please check out the RV Park Reviews website. This site allows users to rate campgrounds and leave comments. Here's a link to the Carlsbad, NM page, which contains reviews for White's City.

It doesn't get decent reviews at all! :eek:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/New_Mexico/Carlsbad.html

Even when sites get decent ratings here, I've found I'm hesitant now to go without recommendation from someone else who has a 45 bus. Recently I parked for one night at a campground in Virginia. It was a nice enough place, and they indicated they could handle "Big Rigs". I ended up taking the bus up a dirt/rock road I never should have been on. Had I known, I would have never camped there.

A big RV, with shorter wheelbase would have been a lot better off.

So, I'm tending to stay with parks referenced in the Big Rigs book, or recommendations from other POG members.

Ray

Kenneth Brewer
01-19-2009, 01:14 PM
"So, I'm tending to stay with parks referenced in the Big Rigs book, or recommendations from other POG members."

Amen. Unfortunately, even the Big Rigs book doesn't cover some areas that we want to visit, or the locations it does seem too far away and I am unsure whether they looked at the campground I'm considering at all and rejected it, or never visited it.

In the case of White's City, I have no excuse except I thought it couldn't be that bad. Wrong again.

gmcbuffalo
01-19-2009, 10:42 PM
The couple that writes the Big Rigs book only rate parks they have stayed in. I think they have a 45' bus. I met them at BusNUsa a few years ago.
GregM

Jon Wehrenberg
01-20-2009, 07:27 AM
He had a forty footer (Liberty) a few years ago. He may have a 45 now.

Kenneth Brewer
01-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Ray,

I have used the RV Park Reviews website you posted, but for some reason (not age, though) forgot about it on this occasion. This confirms suspicions; I am an idiot.

Ray Davis
01-20-2009, 06:21 PM
This confirms suspicions; I am an idiot.

Nah, I wouldn't say that. I'd say you were unlucky to have forgotten it this time!! :D

Ray

Coloradobus
01-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Ken and Ellie ( Big Rigs Best Bets) have a 40 footer.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
01-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Recently I parked for one night at a campground in Virginia. It was a nice enough place, and they indicated they could handle "Big Rigs". I ended up taking the bus up a dirt/rock road I never should have been on. Had I known, I would have never camped there.

Ray[/QUOTE]

Ray, Curiosity killed the cat-----Where in Virginia was this campground you are talking about? We had the same experience in Staunton, VA off the interstate.
Sandy

Will Garner
01-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Here is another place to stay away from. It is Bulow Plantation RV Resort. Now it may have been an RV resort in the 1950's but it sure as heck is not one now. First it is really hard to find, no sign at the entrance and the park is not visible from the road. Second the right turn in is almost not possible for a 40 footer - no way a 45 would make it. Third, the overhead limbs are low on the approach road - yeah I clipped something overhead a couple of times. Fourth the trees in the "resort" appear to have dictated the layout - spaces are at 90 degrees to the park road and are also not an easy move for a 40 footer. Now admittedly we arrived after dark and needed about forty five minutes and ran about 35 miles trying to find a resort that was reported to be only 2.6 miles from the interstate exit. Well when you miss the first turn because the signs are to damn small and the street name sign is hidden behind trees, well it takes awhile to find a good place to make a U-turn even with a 40 footer.

On the way out, in the light of day, the office building was showing two layers of roofing shingles that where held down with some vertical battens. We did not hook up until back on the highway. The out bound left turn - with 2'-6" curb and gutter on both sides cannot be made in a 40 footer without riding the drive and tag wheels over the inside curb and gutter.

Just a heads up in case you are in that area needed to bed down for the night - DON'T DO IT THERE!

Later ...

truk4u
01-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Hey Will, you should see that place during Bike Week!:eek: I wouldn't take a Pop-Up into that place. We went there one time and will never go back.

Will Garner
01-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Tom,

Sure wish I had your advice before leaving Parliament. I can only imagine what that place is like during Bike Week. They had a sign stating theirs were the best prices during race week and bike week.

BTW, Harley Trikes go for $32,000 at our local dealer! Maybe the crowd has improved since my 1980 look into the Boot Hill Saloon during the 500 week in Daytona.

Good to see you and Nancy. Wish we had another day to visit with you all.

Ray Davis
01-25-2009, 01:22 AM
sandy

Yes it was Staunton. I don't have name handy but it's right off interstate

Ray