PDA

View Full Version : Something for pilots

dalej
01-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Harry had sent this link to me and I thought I would post it.

http://users.skynet.be/fa926657/files/B29.wmv

Denny
01-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks Dale, I sent it to my brother in law who is into RC planes.

Denny

Kevin Erion
01-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Boys and there Toys!
Amazing!

Joe Cannarozzi
01-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Good way to chop off your hand starting the engines:eek:

Yankee802
01-18-2009, 12:14 AM
So people who fly RC planes are considered pilots now? :)

Jon Wehrenberg
01-18-2009, 07:06 AM
I don't think guys who fly RC planes are pilots, but I highly respect their skills. It is easy to manipulate the controls when you and the aircraft are always pointing in the same direction, such as sitting in the pilot's seat.

But an RC controlled plane is coming at you or going away from you and your brain and fingers are always trying to keep track of what is left and what is right. That takes considerable skill and I am not sure I have that ability.

Yankee802
01-18-2009, 11:13 AM
That B29 could probably hold a person and still fly. Of course the aerobatics would be out, but then the real ones couldn't do them either.

If I were to get into RC, I'd want a camera in the nose and the monitor built into my controls, then you wouldn't have to watch it in the air, you could then 'fly' it. Then you could mount air/BB guns in the fighters and strafe or have dog fights, THAT would be cool! :)

lewpopp
01-18-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how the bomber landed and did the last of its manuvers without the pilot. If I'm not mistaken, someone said the pilot parachuted and we saw the parachute deploy. What's the answer?

truk4u
01-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Two man crew Lew.:D

Jeff Bayley
01-19-2009, 07:26 PM
You mean I'm the only one here that is into R/C ? I have a huge collection of scale planes and choopers and used to compete. I don't have time for the hobby latley but in response to Yankee and John and the perspective point of flying R/C compared to full size, your comments are correct. Getting used to it coming and going is a bit tricky compared to full size point of consistent left and right in the seat. All things considered, it take more skill (and care) to fly a full size than a model unless you were to fly a barnstormer. That would be easy as cake.

If any of you are intereste in R/C, there is a GREAT tool they've had for the last 10 years which is a computer simulator that comes with the software and a R/C type control transmitter than plugs into the computer. Is is EXTREMLEY realistic and more useful and pratcical than the hocky simulators they make for full size planes. I'm referring to the home user full size simulator with a wheel and maybe pedals, not a commericial simulator that we would not have access to. For around $150 (half the cost of one destroyed plane or heli repair) you can practice and get the perspective before taking to the R/C field. I can't tell you enough how great and accuate and similar this is to flying an R/C plane. You'll never outgrow it becuase you can use it to do advanced aerobatics. You can pick from dozens of different planes and choppers from trainers to scale and tell it to give you cross winds, make your engine die unexpectactley for a dead stick landing practice and on and on.

If you want to blow your mind, just Youtube up some advanced heli flying and it is mind boggleing to see these world champions flying an R/C helicopter, inverted, tail first, doing figure eights. You could search for Curtis Youngblood who is a mutliple chopper World Champ. There are several major R/C contest throughout the country that members could check at the following URL if you find this hobby interesting. Some are major events that attract flyers from all over the country and some are local smaller events. You can usually boon dock at the event.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/calendar/Flying%20Events/wc022009.htm