PDA

View Full Version : Oldies but Goodies

bluevost
01-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Hey POGgers,

I had the greatest morning in Quartzite today. First of all the weather is the best we've had in my 7 yearly visits here. Right now it's 3:30P, and the temp is 72, winds mild out of the north. Campfires are comfortable and lots of fun. But down to the reason for the post. I stopped by the Flxible Rally, the Eagle Rally, and the GM rally. Some beautiful, restored, classics. Just imagine some of these old Flxibiles running along Route 66. It's a real treat to see these Oldies. I don't know how to post pictures with captions on them, so I am putting them in an order to try to tell a story. Hope you enjoy the photos. I'll post again Sunday and show you the big RV show.

Blessings,

Ken

bluevost
01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Here's some more!!

bluevost
01-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Many of you know my first bus was an Eagle. I still think they have the most beautiful lines. You don't see many Eagles with slides, and this one has a tag that lifts also. Bus Nuts come in all shapes and sizes don't they.

bluevost
01-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Two more!!

Yankee802
01-16-2009, 07:16 PM
So that is what those old things are, the previous owner of my coach replaced it with one of those things. (Flxible) Did you see one with a front licsense plate that said "Poole Party" ?

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Very nice Ken. Enjoyed that a lot!

JIM

Ray Davis
01-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Wonderful pictures Ken, loved 'em. Remind me to show you how to post with captions next time we get together!

Ray

Darrell McCarley
01-16-2009, 08:18 PM
KEN......Your pictures are great. Please post more.

garyde
01-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Hi Ken. I've never seen so many vintage Coaches in one place. Great pictures.

rfoster
01-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Ken:

Thanks for the photos, they are great. I love the bling on some of the old buses.

I would go for those rocket looking clearance lights on my XL2.

I can see Jon driving the white two story.

Keep em coming!

Joe Cannarozzi
01-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Nothing would make me happier than to have the time and money to convert one of those classics.

But then again a few more years and that is how our current bus is going to be viewed.

truk4u
01-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Great Pic's Ken, I'll take the Scenic Cruiser, it's fantastic..

flyu2there
01-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Ken,

Anymore pix of the Silver Side....it's in one of your pix, the champagne 35' GM coach built for Greyhound in the late 40 thru very early 50's, wanna think it is a model PD3751/4151, but could be wrong. I have looked for one of those for years, unfortunately most of them are way too far gone. 671 Detroit with a Z drive, four on the tree.............that's nostalgia! Greyhound took delivery of 2000, that's right 2000 of these things between 1947/48...where did they all go?

When I was a boy a good friends Dad owned Barrett Transportation Company, they had a dozen of those Flexibles, all brand new with the big air scoop. All painted up in dark green and cream, the original San Francisco Airporter....get off the United DC-7 from Idlywilde get on the Airporter and off to Union Square...those were the days!

John

merle&louise
01-17-2009, 09:23 AM
This is a little off of the thread but:

At the Oklahoma City Rally could someone please do a seminar on how to post pictures? I think that a lot of us have trouble, and if someone (Ray or DaleJ) could help us "hands on" I think that we could have a better forum.

My problem is getting the darn picture to load when I browse. I use Picasa and I just can't get the picture to come up when I click on browse. I used to be able to post pictures when I used MY PICTURES on Windows XP but I changed to Picasa and now I can't figure out how to get all of those pictures in Picasa back to MY PICTURES in Windows XP.

Is anyone else interested in learning how to post pictures?

dale farley
01-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Ken, Very nice pictures. I would like to see these in person. When Paulette and I were much younger, (23 years old)(38 years ago) we sang in a gospel trio, and for about a year we traveled on weekends in a 1947 with a 471 engine.

Unfortunately, it was not in the condition that these buses appear to be. We sold it and moved "down" to a brand new 28' 1973 Champion motor home. Just in time for the first significant gas price increase.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-17-2009, 09:57 AM
The name of the bus made me think of this one!

http://www.last.fm/music/Sergio%2BMendes%2B%2526%2BBrasil%2B%252766/_/Mais+que+nada

Play it you'll like it.

JIM

BrianE
01-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks Ken. You're making it look like there's much more to the Quartzite gig than meets the eye. Old buses are big-time cool.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks Ken. You're making it look like there's much more to the Quartzite gig than meets the eye. Old buses are big-time cool.

I remember as a kid riding on those vintage coaches or buses. It would be fun to drive one around town or maybe 50 miles, but I remember how noisy they were, how harsh the ride was, how much smoke spewed from them, and how small they were. I am not so sure they are as big time cool as they might seem to be. I think they would be as practical to own and drive as using a car of that vintage routinely. You don't realize how good the vehicles of today are until you drive something from a previous era.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-17-2009, 03:17 PM
I am lookin forward to the next campground we roll into that has the 10 year old or newer rule cause we ain't hiding her age any longer.

She will be 25 this year and if it ain't good enough for any particular campground we don't want to stay there anyway:)

Yankee802
01-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Joe, you refering to your '86? It's only 23 years old, mine is however 25. :)

Besides, we don't fall into that 10 year old rule, we have Prevosts. :P

Kenneth Brewer
01-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Has anyone with a Prevost really been turned away because of this rule? And if so, where?

Thanks.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-17-2009, 06:13 PM
I do not know Ken but I intend to find out.

Yo, Yank, sheesh, close enough. My chassis is an 85.

gmcbuffalo
01-18-2009, 01:14 AM
I got turned away at Half Moon Bay RV park, I was told the owner would not accept converted buses, do to many of them tripping their power post. As I was turning around in the park the attendant came running out to say I was OK. As I went thru the park the owner saw my RIVA sticker and not the fact that I was driving the best looking rig in the park.
GregM

Jon Wehrenberg
01-18-2009, 07:12 AM
I have no clue how many enforce that rule if they have it, but we have been in some parks where the RVs looked like crap, and that in turn made the whole park look ratty. I think the owners just want a way to maintain a decent appearance.

In my opinion they should start by outlawing Chinese Lanterns hanging from the awning.

Yankee802
01-18-2009, 11:10 AM
RIVA? I wonder if the POG sticker would/will make a difference? :)

garyde
01-18-2009, 11:56 AM
I don't think it is necessarily the age of the RV. It's the guy driving it. If a guy pulls into a park with a PVC tarp covering the top of his Class B , and the outside door to the refrigerator is missing, and he's got 2x6's for front and rear bumpers, I would be a little concerned about renting to this guy.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Racial Profiling Gary shame on you:rolleyes:

You just described half of the state of Tennessee.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Excuse me?????????/

I'll have you know Roger and I represent that remark. Debi and Eric have chosen to remain neutral

rfoster
01-18-2009, 06:49 PM
As revealed in the PProuds Post from Mango, we can and do say when you see the blue tarp and 2x6 Bumpers:

: Don't it make you proud.

rfoster
01-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Could this be what some Campground owner had on his mind? Get that ole Bus and Hummer away from my rope lighted Winnie.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/CIMG3079-1.jpg