PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Headlights?

Ray Davis
07-11-2006, 06:50 PM
My '92 has what appears to be original issue headlights. Is there a retrofit kit available to use newer bulbs? Are the originals standardly available in a regular autopart store, or ???

-ray

Jon Wehrenberg
07-11-2006, 08:32 PM
I think they are a Ford truck headlight. (I'm not kidding).

I cannot remember where I heard that so if anybody else knows for sure they may post. Otherwise it is worth a visit with your bus to the local Ford dealer.

dalej
07-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Ray, they are availible at Wat-mart also, that is the nice thing about the 12v headlight system that was used. they are around 5-7 dollors each. Keep in mind that when one goes the other side goes. if you want I can get the numbers, I have spares in the bay. I think 4651 sounds right for one and 4650? for the other.

Ray Davis
07-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Dale, I'd love to have the numbers if you can locate them.

So, am I to assume that no-one is retrofitting these with newer style (halogen) bulbs instead?

Ben
07-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Does anyone know exactly what model & year of a Ford the headlights are from? There's a chance you could retrofit Xenon HID headlights, which would be at least twice as bright as halogen and last a lot longer (bu they're not cheap).

Jon Wehrenberg
07-12-2006, 04:39 PM
That might be a question for Prevost. The folks in the parts departments recently have been pretty good about sharing source information.

dalej
07-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Ray, the lights used on the 4 headlight setup are H4651 & H4656. They are used in ford autos and trucks.

After looking at you photo of your bus it looks like you have just one on each side, is that correct?

Ray Davis
07-12-2006, 08:22 PM
That's correct, I have a single light on each side (and a pretty dim one at that!) :rolleyes:

lewpopp
07-12-2006, 10:19 PM
A bit of history is that 25 years ago the single round headlite was # 6012 for two filaments. I'm sure this is a useless bit of information today.

Darrell McCarley
01-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Has anyone updated headlights to xenon 100w 9004 bulbs on 1991/2000 models? Does the connector or wires need to be changed? Do they really work like the TV add states? What is the difference between Xenon and SilverStar by Slyvania? This may be a good one for JON but will thank anyone for info.

Jerry Winchester
01-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Funny this topic would come up. I had a headlight burn out just as I arrived in Oklahoma at Christmas. I had never changed one, so I had no idea how to get to the bulb. I thought it would apparent. Well maybe not in the dark but how hard can it be?

Looking in around the bezel with the flashlight I finally see a hex head bolt that doesn't look connected to the adjusting mechanism, but you have to have a fairly long allen wrench to get to it.

When I get it loose, the whole headlight / signal light assembly swings open on a hinge.

I go get a pair of those Sylvania SilverStar bulbs. The guy said by law, none of them are "brighter" but these were better for night driving because of their color. He was right. They are better than the originals and the light looks "clean" as compared to a more dingy looking light from the originals.

Having a long T handle allen wrench to fit this deal is a good tool for the box.

A couple of years ago I changed out the old landing light on the Bonanza, a 75,000 candle power one for a 750,000 candle power light that uses about a 10th the power and lasts for 5000 hours. Huge difference and part of it was the color of the light, so I think these bulbs may be similar.

Loc
01-12-2008, 09:29 AM
The headlights on my 92 XL were not very bright and I wanted to fix that. I thought about new bulbs, but my headlight housings had condensation inside and were very scratched up. I decided to change the housing and the bulbs. The 1991 Chassis through the 1999 Chassis XL models use a Ford F-150 (1988 year) model headlight housing. You can purchase them from your local Ford dealer. I replaced mine about three years ago and I seem to remember they were about $135 each. There is a left and right side. It is a relatively easy task and requires taking the trim pieces off around the headlights and then removing a couple of screws. You do not have to mess with the alignment screws so the replacements should not need adjustment if the old headlights were okay. There are some white light replacement halogen bulbs that you can get to replace the old bulbs that are brighter and make it easier at night. I don't recall the part number for the bulbs, but I got mine at NAPA for a 1988 Ford F-150.

Loc
01-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Ray,

That's a 2002 not a 1992 right?

Ray Davis
01-12-2008, 06:21 PM
I had changed my lights out on my 92-93, just before putting it on the market. As Loc mentioned above, for that vintage I had to remove the trim pieces, and then the whole housing could be removed with a couple of screws.

The bulbs then were mounted in the back of the housing. Actually I replaced the entire housing unit from Prevost (about $90 as I remember), because mine were badly yellowed, and scratched.

AT the time I went to an auto parts store, and got newer higher output bulbs, but the clerk indicated to me I couldn't use the newer xenon bulbs (I think it was the xenon), because they were too hot, and would need special wiring.

Instead there are "double-bright" lights now available, and it made a marked difference in my headlights. They also make bulbs which are more "blue" and supposedly easier to see with (much like JDUB mentioned)

The bulbs themselves were cheap. I think that normal bulbs were about $9-$10, but the double brights were closer to $30 as I remember.

Ray

PS: Just reread Loc's post. As he did, I found the headlight assembly at Ford for about $135, but they had to order it. Prevost had them in stock, for less than $100. If I remember right they were about $90

Gary & Peggy Stevens
04-29-2008, 05:26 PM
I saw Jerry's post on replacing the Headlight bulbs on an XLII, but I have a need for a more specific answer if someone can provide it?

What is the correct Silverstar Bulb Replacement # for a 2001 XLII ?

What size is the Long Allen Wrench or Hex Head that actually removes the Headlight Assembly? I don't think I need to purchase an entire set of T-Handle allen wrenchs, but I would like to purchase the correct size. Know what I mean ?

Gary S.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I saw Jerry's post on replacing the Headlight bulbs on an XLII, but I have a need for a more specific answer if someone can provide it?

What is the correct Silverstar Bulb Replacement # for a 2001 XLII ?

What size is the Long Allen Wrench or Hex Head that actually removes the Headlight Assembly? I don't think I need to purchase an entire set of T-Handle allen wrenchs, but I would like to purchase the correct size. Know what I mean ?

Gary S.

Gary, you could buy several that you think might be correct and then return the ones you don't need.

tdelorme
04-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Come on Gary, here you have a perfect excuse to buy more tools than you need. Swing by Harbor Freight and buy a set of long shaft T handle allen wrenches in both metric and SAE. Not the best quality but they work and both sets won't cost much more that going to NAPA or Sears and buying just the one wrench you need. Now get out there and buy some tools man. :)

Gary & Peggy Stevens
04-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Jim C. , that was not the response I expected from you ?

I would have thought you already knew the bulb # was a 9005 or 9006, or something, other than just buy all of them, and then take back the ones that don't work? :( Gee Jim, is that your final answer ?

And Ted as for your answer, well, where would I keep all them other tools, and I didn't even know Hex Head T-wrenches came in SAE and Metric ? :confused: :eek:

Gary S.

Jerry Winchester
04-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Gary,

I don't know the bulb number because I just took the old one with me to the parts store and chunked it in the trash on the way out.

If you don't get your knickers in a twist, I will be out at the airport on Sunday and will check the size of the allen wrench and let you know. I can't think a set of them from Northern or Harbor Freight is more than $10.

JDUB

04-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Gary,

I don't know the bulb number because I just took the old one with me to the parts store and chunked it in the trash on the way out.

If you don't get your knickers in a twist, I will be out at the airport on Sunday and will check the size of the allen wrench and let you know. I can't think a set of them from Northern or Harbor Freight is more than $10.

JDUB
Hi Jerry,

Just an FYI,

When I was in Jacksonville Prevost last week for service I asked to have my headlamps replaced because they looked a little yellowed. they offed to change them over to Xenon for $2K including a new housing for the little round lights, I think the regular ones were about $150 installed?? I was not in love with the round light look or the price.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Bruce,

The headlights on your coach are from a Ford truck. A little effort should provide the specific model and year (it may have already been posted on this forum or the p-stuff one) and a visit to the local Ford dealer should put them in your hands at a pretty cheap price.

But, if I am not mistaken our resident used car dealer, Fast Roger, the King of Bling may have a way of removing the yellowing.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
04-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Gary,

If you don't get your knickers in a twist, JDUB

Jer, it is summer time son. I don't wear knickers in the summer time. :p

I will go get a SET of T Hex handles at Northern. Are you happy now ! :D

Gary S.

04-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Bruce,

The headlights on your coach are from a Ford truck. A little effort should provide the specific model and year (it may have already been posted on this forum or the p-stuff one) and a visit to the local Ford dealer should put them in your hands at a pretty cheap price.

But, if I am not mistaken our resident used car dealer, Fast Roger, the King of Bling may have a way of removing the yellowing.
Thanks Jon,

I replaced the lights in Jacksonville as part of my Prevost service. I was there for 3 days and idle hands spend money. I was like a kid in candy store. I even talked to them about upgrading the front cap to the XLII. They said it is not impossible. I really love the rivet XL look but think the front end looks better on the XLII.

PS> I changed out all of the tail lights while waiting around the shop. Does anyone need some Amber/Red/White tail lights as I have a bunch. They are slightly faded in some cases and in some cases just fine. I'll send them along to whom ever needs them.

Ray Davis
04-30-2008, 04:53 PM
FYI, I have reported this in the past. Although the headlights are the same as a Ford truck, I found that:

1. The Ford dealers in my area would have to order the parts. Minimum a week delivery

2. Prevost had the parts, in stock, for about $20 cheaper than Ford!

Ray

grantracy
04-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks Jon,

I replaced the lights in Jacksonville as part of my Prevost service. I was there for 3 days and idle hands spend money. I was like a kid in candy store. I even talked to them about upgrading the front cap to the XLII. They said it is not impossible. I really love the rivet XL look but think the front end looks better on the XLII.

PS> I changed out all of the tail lights while waiting around the shop. Does anyone need some Amber/Red/White tail lights as I have a bunch. They are slightly faded in some cases and in some cases just fine. I'll send them along to whom ever needs them.

Like you, I prefer the newer look....did they give you a range of costs?

lewpopp
04-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey Gary and Peggy, how come you overlooked all of the wise comments everyone made prior to your purchase of a coach, and now they rag on you a bit and you get all excited.

Different when you want a real answer and you're ready to act and they give you some shit, huh?

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-01-2008, 04:19 PM
:D
Hey Gary and Peggy, how come you overlooked all of the wise comments everyone made prior to your purchase of a coach, and now they rag on you a bit and you get all excited.

Different when you want a real answer and you're ready to act and they give you some shit, huh?

Yea Lew it is absolutely different. However, I have the answer I was looking for about the lights.

8" T Hex 5/32" Tool

Sylvania 9004 Silverstar Replacement Lamps

And I wasn't really getting that excited. Lew, I missed you at Sevierville; at least with every SHOT I took. :D