PDA

View Full Version : Connecting tube replacement

dalej
01-14-2009, 10:41 AM
I have a hole in my connecting tube, right at the flare by the turbo. It's the tube that runs from the exhaust manifold to the turbo, It is the one on the left side as you look at engine from the back. It has the length of flex in it.

I called Detroit and they price a new one at $500. I have a used one in Omaha to look at on the 19th at $225.

Do you guys have any ideas about finding one from other sources?

Noted: the one on the right side without the flex is $95.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Dale, try that engine rebuilder, and parts co. that Harry posted a couple of days ago.
Don't remember where that was. Found it.

http://www.powerlinecomponents.com/

JIM

dalej
01-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks Jim, I'll try calling them.

dalej
01-14-2009, 12:59 PM
I called Powerline and they were at $475, Come on, how could a 3" x 24" inch piece of exhaust pipe cost that much!

tdelorme
01-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Dale, I replaced that tube last year on the way to Daytona. $495 + tax from Stewart & Stevenson, but since we were on the road I was just glad to find one close by. There has got to be some way to repair the tube even if the break is in the flex area. I left my old one at S & S when I picked up the new one and always regretted leaving it behind. Have you tried brazing the leaking area? With the stellar job you did on the drive cable for me, brazing the leak should be a piece of cake. Before I bought a new one in a non emergency situation, I would call every truck salvage outfit I could google up and see if a used one is available. No way that is a $500 piece. I'll call around down here and see if anything turns up.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Dale, what makes the tubing so special.
Is it all one piece of the same stuff, or are two different types joined together.
How thick is that tubing
Does it have special ends or just cut off and burr free.
Look for a custom truck exhaust fabricator, even mail order.
You can probably get stainless made up for less than used

Where is the hole. can you cut it out and weld in a new and slightly thicker patch in the bad area?

JIM

tdelorme
01-14-2009, 03:12 PM
No luck finding a used piece. New available from several different sources with the best price I found of $467 + shipping at Diesel Exchange in Springfield, MO.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-14-2009, 03:19 PM
It is expensive due to the flex. I would recommend aganst buying a used one.

If it has any age to it I would suspect its life is compromised. The tube is under severe duty, going through a heating cycle every time the engine starts, seeing various and ever changing temperatures while driving.

Yours sounds like it eroded and created a hole. Holes can be welded. I am surprised it did not fail around the flare, which usually stays clamped in place while the tube separates from it.

If you intend to keep the coach spring for a new one. Or patch the old one as long and often as you can.

dalej
01-14-2009, 09:54 PM
The hole is right where the clamp is on the flare by the turbo. I would repair it if it were any place else. This is such a critical area to try and repair. It just has to have a perfect seal.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-14-2009, 11:57 PM
Don't be so humble Dale. You can fix it and we know it.

truk4u
01-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Dale,

It there a part number? I'll try down here for you as well...

Jon Wehrenberg
01-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Dale,

All the failures I have seen have been at the flange and that is where you are seeing it. Have you considered buuying the $90 piece and cutting the flanged ends off to restore the one with the flex?

I'm just kidding because the degree of accuracy for alignment has to be within thousandths otherwise the part is stressed as soon as it gets clamped and will fail quickly.

A side note.......the exhaust pieces on my plane are not unlike what the 8V92 has in concept. They have flanges that must mate to the heads and join to other pieces ending up at the turbo inlet. The solution to relieve stress is a number of slip joints, and to prevent corrosion or erosion the system is made of inconel. Stainless steel exhaust systems have a very expensive ongoing inspection requirement, and they fail relatively quickly. On my plane my exhaust gas temperatures exceed 1600 degrees.

dalej
01-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks Guys,

I stopped at our local Detroit shop and low and behold, they have a 8v with matching tubes. I ask would he take $50 if I take it off myself and he said sure.

I will let you guys know how it turns out. I need to take it off and check the condition.