PDA

View Full Version : Musty Cruisair

ken&ellen
07-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Probably because of the humid warm weather our rear Cruisair developed a musty mildew smell. While on vacation I opened up the wall and cleaned the unit. The condition improved, but did not go away. I called Cruisair and they told me to use hydrogen peroxide to eliminate the smell. Put the hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and apply directly onto the aluminum fins. As it drains it should clean the condensate pan as well. I am glad I called because I was planning on using Clorox which it turns out could damage the fins! Ken

Jon Wehrenberg
07-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Ken,

This is an opinion, but take it for what it is worth. The filter on the cruise air evaporators is rarely cleaned. Given the fact that when they are cleaned they are usually fairly well covered with dust it indicates to me that whatever gets past the filters is likely sticking to the moisture covered evaporator coil.

If there were no layers of dust or crud on the coils the circulating air (when the condenser cycles off) would remove the moisture and it is unlikely mold would form. But when dust accumulates and then it gets damp, it is less likely to dry readily when the compressor cycles so that constant dampness will end up causing mildew. Before you spray the peroxide see if you can blast some compressed air through the coils (carefully, the coils and fins are delicate) to dislodge any accumulation of dust. It will make a mess and you will have some vacuuming to do, but it will make your peroxide treatment more effective and may postpone or delay additional growth of mildew or mold.

ken&ellen
07-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Jon, You are correct. The filter had come loose and fallen aside allowing the fins to get coated in dust. The moist air and dust created a perfect environment for the mildew. I got in the compartment with a tooth brush and a vacuum to clean the fins. I replaced the filter as well. Prior to the hydrogen peroxide solution I will try the low pressure air and more vacuuming. Thanks. Ken

Just Plain Jeff
07-11-2006, 07:37 AM
I can't tell you how much it hurts to see that Jon was exactly right about something.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Jeff, Be sure to park downhill from Mango in Santa Fe.

Ray Davis
07-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Dumb question, where is the CruiseAir filter? I've looked in the bay with my CruiseAirs a couple of times, due to the work they were doing on my AC's, and I don't remember seeing a filter. I assume you're referring to a paper-like filter, like I would see in a home AC unit?

-ray

Jon Wehrenberg
07-11-2006, 03:50 PM
I don't know how CC set theirs up, but Liberty has a foam or woven metal mech (washable) filter mounted on the intake side of the evaporator coils. Due to variations between coaches, I can't even guess where your evaporator units are located (I can't even guess where some other Liberty evaporator units are) but when you get access to them you should clean the filter and keep it clean, make sure your coil and fins are clean, and put a drop of oil in the motors.

But don't stop there. Access your condenser unit coils and flush or blow any accumulated dust or dirt from them as well.

Someone that has a CC will possibly be able to give you a heads up about where to look. I don't know of any other way to find them other than to listen to where the fan is blowing and start taking panels out.