PDA

View Full Version : Block heater. How long

Danss
01-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Expect to be in 0 to 10 degrees`above next week and was just wandering about the electrical connection for the block heater. How long should it be plugged in?
I know the Aqua hot will keep block warm however do you use both?
Just not sure what the protocol is. Thanks, Dan

merle&louise
01-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Dan,

I haven't used my block heater in this coach yet. But in my '93 w/8V92 I would let it run for about 2 hours before I cranked the engine over. This worked for me.:D

Joe Cannarozzi
01-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Plug it in for as long as you want I would keep my Pete plugged in over the weekend and would not hesitate to leave it longer.

The aqua hot will probably heat it up in less than an hour so although it won't harm anything running both it probably is not necessary.

To preheat with it in 10 degrees 4hr is probably enough.

dalej
01-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Dan,

If your plugged into AC at a rv park, don't think twice about letting the block heater run if you moving every night. It will be ready in the morning.

I usually turn my block heater a couple of hours before a planned start if I'm sitting for awhile.

When on the road and the Wabasto is running most of the night because of the cold then the engine will start.

Danss
01-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the info. Dan

Yankee802
01-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Dumb question, if you were boondocking in the cold, could you plug your block heater into your inverter? What kind of power requirement does it have? I suppose it would just be better to run the webasto for awhile before trying to start the engine, huh? :)

Danss
01-10-2009, 07:27 AM
It requires 110 , so you must be plugged in or have generator running. Plug and receptacle is above engine in rear.

jello_jeep
01-10-2009, 09:29 AM
My Marathon's plug for the block heater is wired through a circuit that is supplied via inverters when not plugged in to shore power.

However keep in mind that a block heater is an element that is basically a dead short across the legs, and requires a lot of power.

You would be soaking a lot of energy from your batteries quickly and as you can see from previous posts it takes a couple hours anyway.

It would be far more efficient to either run the webasto block heat, or fire off the generator for the period you need the electric block heat, in the absence of shore power..

Orren Zook
01-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Your block heater will draw 1500 watts - so judge your power requirements accordingly.