PDA

View Full Version : Alt Belt Tension Gauge

truk4u
07-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Unlike you lucky late model guys, I still have the manual belt tensioner for my Alternator. The Prevost Manual says to adjust to 200 lbs using the Prevost Belt Tensioner Gauge, part #011742. Up to this point, I just kinda go by feel, but wondered if anyone has seen the Gauge or has a better way to assure the tension is within a reasonable adjustment. It does flap around at idle, but smooths out with just a few RPM's, no matter how you adjust it. I've seen others do the same thing, so I assume it's normal. :rolleyes:

And NO, I'm not going to upgrade to the auto tensioner to the tune of 1,600.00 Mango bucks just so I have a new shiney part highlighted by neon lights in the engine compartment. :p

Kevin Erion
07-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Tom, I have the same as yours, I set them the old fashion way when I changed the belts 15,000 miles ago and they still feel ok.
I also think the OE adjuster will work fine for my life with this coach.
Kevin

Jon Wehrenberg
07-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Ditto what Kevin said. With the air tensioners there is some give to the belts ( I usually shut the engine off when I do this) so I don't think they have to sound like a violin string.

lewpopp
07-09-2006, 09:31 PM
HEY TRUK

What's this with the Mango Bucks. You are reverently referring to Lew Bucks and don't forget it.

Mango bucks are earned from his harem of women. We do not want to be associated with dirty money.

truk4u
07-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Lewie,
After your Prevost front axle experience, I thought the Lew bucks dried up, but I stand corrected!:D But, given the choice between the PRETTY Mango bucks and your AARP bucks, you lose oh great bus driver.:eek: Now please tell me your still on the dark side with us and not turning into an LED weenie?

http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoon/3bill.jpg

lewpopp
07-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Oh, my dear bus driver, I do use AARP Bucks now and I still haven't gained a love for smart assed Republicans that drive busses. Ho Ho, I said it first. That's my buddy Bill Clinton. You already know what a Bush is.