PDA

View Full Version : Another Trailer Question?

Tully
01-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Ok, I am almost ready to do the trailer. Going to go with a 22 foot V-Nose which will put me at 25 feet total.

I have an option to add a 3rd axel on the trailer. What are the pro's and con's of a 3rd axel other than the additional cost and extra tire/rim?

Thanks,

Tully Lee Garrett

jonnie
01-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Tully,

On a trailer of that length sharper turns become an issue with 3 axles. The only reason to have a third axle is for mor GVW and you probably do not want to exceed 10000lbs. GVW with your hitch.

dalej
01-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Tully,

Is the trailer that you are looking at have two 6 or 7 thousand pound rated axles?
Make sure on the axle ratings. Should have at least 2, 6,000# axles.

Does it have torsion springs, most car haulers do, the only way to go.

My trailer has a 22 foot box plus a 5 foot V-nose plus 2 foot of hitch, for a total length of 29 feet. It has 2, 6,000# axles.

jack14r
01-06-2009, 03:22 PM
I like to have a lot more axle capacity than I need,if you had 3-5200 LB.axles if you blew a tire you can limp home if you are close to home.

Tully
01-06-2009, 03:34 PM
The unit has Independent torsion suspension axles at 5200 per axel.

I was just looking at the 3rd axel from the stand point of tracking straight a little better and maybe a smoother pull/ride? My personal taste thinks it looks better.

The trailer is made by United Trailers out of Indiana. So far I am pretty impressed with their build quality that I have read up on and have seen in person.

Anyone ever heard of United Trailers?

Tully

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-06-2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.prevost-stuff.com/1990_marathon_built_24_JoelS.htm

Looks like a beauty!

JIM

Tully
01-06-2009, 03:43 PM
That is a nice looking unit.

My only problem is that I will also be using the trailer to pull my RoadRunner in. So I have to keep in mind what the Navigator will pull.

Tully

Toy Box
01-06-2009, 06:40 PM
We have had four trailers during the past 26 years. The last three have been custom built and enclosed.They just look better. Not to mention the nice secure storage when on the road. We have used the trailer as a dining hall during bad weather at some events. The last two have been v nose. The current one is a triple axle. We don't need the extra weight capacity, again, it just looks better.No problems with turns, some say a triple axle will track straighter. Don't know if that is true, but we do look cruisin' down the road.

Tully
01-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Well the 22 foot is the max weight at 4900 lbs empty. Would like to go 24 foot the the empty weight would put me over the towing weight on my Navigator. I sure hope that 2 foot shortage is not a issue down the road.

Thanks for all the replies.

I am having this one built.

Any special features that are "a must"...?

Tully

Orren Zook
01-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Tully,

United makes one of the best trailers available - If you are are planning to tow a car in your trailer you might consider adding a door that opens over the axles on the road side so that you can open your car door into that open door and then just step out.

Tully
01-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Very good idea on the side door for easy exit. Thanks...

One thing I seem to be having a problem with is power issue for the trailer.
This trailer comes wired with A/C and interior lighting. The service is 50 AMP.

I will never really do more than run the A/C at a car show and hang out in the trailer on the really hot days.. Maybe a radio inside.

Is 50 AMP kind of over-kill? I was trying to find a small generator for the trailer as it has a 36 wide by 30 high road side door to put in a generator.

I have looked all over the internet for a genny that has a 50 amp plug in with no luck.

Would I not be better having the trailer company put in a 30 amp service? I want to simply plug the power life line direct into the genny.

Can anyone give me some options on a good genny that would fit 36 wide by 30 high? Do not want to dump a ton of money into the genny as it will not be use a ton. But none the less would still like to put on in the trailer.

What would be the minimum size? All I would ever run is the A/C unit which is 15 amps and maybe a small tv/radio....

Thanks,

Tully

PLSNTVLE2
01-07-2009, 11:22 AM
I had a spare tire well built into the floor with a trap door. We went with the 30 amp system with an on board battery charger for the 12v lighting, electric tongue jack and break away switch.
Be sure not to hold back on D-rings locations. It is much easier to have them installed at the factory than try to do it later.

jonnie
01-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Tully,

Never put the spare tire in a well in the floor. The only time you will have a flat is when the car is in the trailer and you have to move everything. Hang it on the wall.

Tully
01-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Good point on the well holding for tire. Never thought of that.

Im going to have Etrack installed the entire length of trailer instead of D rings. Looks like an easier set up and give more options.

Anyone recommend a decent priced genny for this?

Tully

Coloradobus
01-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Tully,

We carry 2 Honda 2000i portable generators that when plugged in tandem with the Honda Inseries kit they, together, are able to handle powering up a 15000 btu Carrier A/C unit on one of our airstreams. They weigh about 52lbs and are easily transportable and are samller thana 5 gallon bucket of paint.
Our airstream B-190 Camper Van on the E-350 Ford 1ton has a gasoline powered Microlite genset that can run the rooftop a/c or the microwave but not both. We have a switch between the 2.

If your NEW trailer comes with 50amp service, you would need a reducer to 30 amp for the Honda adaptor to plug into the Inseries panel adaptor, just have the trailer wired with a 30 amp. BTW, where will the bus be?? You could have a "buddy Plug" installed in you engine compartment and have the trailer's A/c unit power off the coach genset. Or will the trailer be separated from the bus?

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Tully, look at the add in the linked site. Scroll down and check out #1256. and a little before and after. I think these are very good and reasonably priced and ready to go at discount prices. They are 8.5'x24'.
Don't forget to consider a full length awning on one side.
http://www.allprowest.com/Inventory_CarMate.html

Tully
01-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Will have trailer with bus at times (and I figured I could piggy back off genny).
However, will be times when I will have the Navigator and trailer only and will need genny power. Not a lot, just fire up the a/c and a radio.

The awning sounds like a good option.

Thanks Everyone,

Tully

PLSNTVLE2
01-07-2009, 05:10 PM
10:4 on the tire well in the floor. Probably not much fun offloading your stuff to get at the spare. I have a stacker so it is not a problem to move the vehicle off of the floor.
Reconsider the E-Track for holding a car. I wouldn't tie my mother-in-law down with that stuff. Your call......

Tully
01-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Terry:

Fill me in on the Etrack. It is not as strong?

Thanks,

Tully

truk4u
01-07-2009, 07:56 PM
You need D-Rings bolted to the floor cross members. I agree with Terry, E-Track is not heavy enough to hold a vehicle under adverse maneuvering.

Orren Zook
01-07-2009, 10:13 PM
I have etrack in my trailer floor - if you spec it during your build process United (maybe other manufacturers too) will recess it into the flooring and fasten to each crossmember. That way it is out of the way and not easily damaged. Having etrack the length of the trailer allows for easy, load balanced tie down of other items in case you have something besides your classic car to haul. Also have them put something besides linoleum on the beavertail - it's too slippery when wet.

jonnie
01-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Recessed Etrack has worked well for me. The only caveat is the positioning of the rings in the track. The release lever must always be to the outside. I also agree but mainly about the ramp. A non-skid coating of some king on the ramp is great. Most manufactures have this available as a floor covering option.

Tully
01-08-2009, 08:42 AM
I heard the Erail just mounted onto the floor was weak. The recessed method is very secure.

I am blown away from all the options you can get on these trailers. The punch list adds up fast.

Some must have items im putting on: Street side escape door, going with tri-axel, flush ceiling and wall mount fluor. lights, 16 foot awning, stabilizer jacks so I can pull a car in when trailer is not attached to tow vehicle, 7000 lb square tube drop leg jack, aluminum walls & ceiling, cabinets built in v-nose, led light package, recessed quartz lights on street & curb side of trailer, diamond plate flooring on approach ramp and floor of trailer, beaver tail and polished aluminum two feet high around entire trailer bottom. Kind of blend in with the Prevost.

I have a mural on the CC Prevost that I will have extended onto the trailer.

The only thing I have not been able to finalize on is the a/c & heating. I will do car shows in summer and late fall when it gets a little brisk out. The a/c adds $750.00 and the toe kickers add $350.00. That is a lot of dough. However, I do not want to be kicking myself in the rear down the road if I
passed up getting them. How important of an issue is this? I will be at a car show usually from 10:00 A.M. till 5:00 P.m. or 2:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M.
The trailer would be a good place to hang out.

Got some good ideas from everyone.

On a financial note- about 2/3 of the lenders have pulled out of the market. They would finance car haulers / trailers. It took a bit of work to even find a lender. The dealer/s were scrambling too. I guess Sheffield financial did a lot of the lending for these dealers. They pulled out of this area of lending on 12/31/08.

I ended up going with a company called Rock Solid Financing. Only took an hour for approval with no pain. Good rate 8.45% (for trailers it is good)...
As long as credit score is good. Good today though is 750 or better on a fico. Used to be anything over a 700 was "A" paper.

Just thought I would pass that on.

Thanks,

Tully L. Garrett

dalej
01-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Tully,

I haven't seen you mention a walk in door in the front, is that just a standard item on trailers of this size? You should have one.

Tully
01-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Dale:

You would have the loading door in rear. On drivers side would be an escape door above the axels so you could exit car withouth knocking all the paint off. The walk in door would be curb side torwards front of trailer.

Tully

lewpopp
01-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Tully,

You might as well add an automatic awning the whole length of the trailer. It would only be a fractional cost of this tricked out trailor. Hell, when we build a trailer for someone, we want it to be top notch.

jasperjr
01-08-2009, 10:46 PM
We have a 24 ft Renegade Stacker we pull behind our XLII and one neat option we have is an observation deck on the top. Our attic ladder extends up to the top we there is a hatch door. The deck has rails on all four sides and gives us a 16' by 8' space. The rails fold down when not in use and easily fastens to the top. We use it at Nascar events, etc... It holds around 16 people, however we never put that to the test.

It may be something you would want consider, seeing all of the options you are selecting.

rickdesilva
01-10-2009, 10:37 PM
These are pictures of what is left of my 911 and my 20 foot trailer. This happened a little over a year ago on I-75 outside of Tampa on our way home to NJ. The trailer had recessed hooks and the car was secured at each wheel to the floor. We were driven off the road by a truck driver on his cell phone. The trailer flipped 2 times and the 911 stayed attached to the floor, unfortunately it looked like it went through a mix master but the trailer with the car in it stayed together as a unit. We were towing the car with our Excursion and not the coach. The Excursion held the road like velcro and only suffered 2 ripped off tires. No injuries just soiled pants. 2 new tires on the Excursion and we drove her home to NJ and left the rest of the carnage in Florida.

rfoster
01-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Rick, I am so sorry. That is very hard to look at. The plus side is yall were/are OK.

Have you replaced the 911 yet?

Joe Cannarozzi
01-11-2009, 08:33 AM
So the trlr came loose from the hitch? How did it roll and you did not. What broke off?

rickdesilva
01-11-2009, 11:00 AM
We got pushed down into the center median, Wendy was driving, when she brought it back up on the highway she couldn't control the "pendulem" effect and ended up sideways on the highway, once we were sideways the trailer just flipped side over side and ripped itself, sway bars and all, off the truck. If we were driving something lighter it would have brought us over with it. Thats why I love my Excursion. To say we were lucky was an understatement. Roger, as you can expect the 911 was totaled, its probably been fixed and is on your lot right now for sale. I replaced it with a ferrari, hopefully I'll have better luck with Italian cars.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Rick, is your new trailer, "ITALIAN" too ? :)

That had to scare the poop out of both you and Wendy..! Did you ever catch the other truck driver that messed up your day?

Gary S.

rickdesilva
01-11-2009, 04:17 PM
The guy behind us got his plate #, the troopers tracked him down gave him a ticket based on the witnesses statement....His insurance paid for everything now I only tow a korean or japanese car or a small motorcycle trailer.

Larry W
01-11-2009, 11:34 PM
I had been toying with getting a trailer to tow our C6 Vette in. That is now past after seeing your pictures.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-12-2009, 06:29 AM
I think towing four down or in a trailer would have had the same net result. I do not think the trailer made a difference, except it added weight to the equation.

Towing a trailer with the bus would not have resulted in the trailer making the bus get sideways.

rickdesilva
01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Your right Jon although I wonder sometimes what it would have been like going off road with the coach on the center median. But the point I really wanted to make was how well the recessed "D" rings held up. After they got the back door of the trailer off they released the anchors and drove the car out of what was remaining of the trailer.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-12-2009, 07:17 PM
We have driven in a lot of wet heavy snow on narrowly plowed roads, being forced to hit the piles on the side.

The bus will pull sharply, but the loading on the steers is heavy enough that if you do not jerk the wheel (thus breaking steering traction) you can steer out of it. You are screwed if both steers are in the soft stuff, and at that point, keep it straight and stop it under control. Better to pay for a tow than to risk it rolling.

I am very lucky because when we were running up north in the winter I had it break traction and start to skid several times, but was always able to maintain control to recover. The bus really does handle well, but you just cannot over react on steering or braking.

phorner
01-12-2009, 07:47 PM
I've driven on snow plowed streets and, although not my preference, was not a major problem.

It was the black ice that caused the coach to start to "drift" on a slight turn on an overpass that really got my attention.

If this should happen, DO NOT simply hit the brakes. Foot off the throttle and GENTLY try to counter steer out of it as the bus slows down.

Then collect your thoughts, find a safe place to wait out the weather, and change yer shorts :eek:

Tully
01-21-2009, 08:07 AM
I placed the order on my Trailer on Tuesday. Should be ready first week of March.

The empty weight is going to be just under 5500 lbs.

The max. towing on the 1990 CC is 10K? Just want to clarify.

Also, I have a Prodigy brake control unit. It is 7 prong. The bus appears to be a 6 prong? Could this be correct?

Tully

Joe Cannarozzi
01-21-2009, 08:41 AM
There is a gazilion different couplings for trlr lights.

Do not let anyone booger up your wiring harnesses.

Your going to want to have lights when you pick it up so your going to have to decide what piece you are going to change.

If it were me I'd get pick it up with the SUV and do the change myself

If the SUV is also different I would make them set up an adapter, wouldn't let them booger it or the trlr either.

tdelorme
01-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Tully, there is a lot of good information available on different trailer wiring issues on the net. Here is a good source of help. You can get a 6 way to 7 way adaptor in male or female but I'm not sure what you will loose without looking at the wiring diagram.
http://www.etrailer.com/faq_wiring.aspx

If your bus is going to be the primary tow vehicle for the trailer, I would insist that the trailer manufacturer supply the trailer with the proper hookup.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Normally there will be at least a couple of terminals that are not used.

green and yellow/left and right
red/brake
brown and black/marker lights
anti lock will have a terminal/color ?

That's 6 and if you need you can combine the brown and black on 1 wire freeing up one unless you have 6 gazilion marker lights on the trlr.

Often on the trlr the brake and turns are on the same bulb/element but if not this is where you need to make things compatible.

Poking your loom with the point of a circuit tester compromising your insulation is voodoo and will ruin your wiring in the years to come DO NOT DO THAT.

The factory does a very good job on the wiring. Usually when a problem arises you can go directly to where people have modified things and find the problem. That is the first place I look.