PDA

View Full Version : RoadMaster Inc.

LarryB
12-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Just a note to say that there are STILL some companies that practice GREAT customer relations.

I dropped off my 5yrs. old Sterling tow bar at the Roadmaster's office in Portland,OR. for a check-up and refurbishing. When I left it, I told the Lady that took down all the vitals that I would pick up the tow bar when finished. Weather and time has not allowed for me to get there, so today I called and asked if they would ship it to me. They said they were happy to do that and when ask the charge I was told, "no charge to you". When I asked about the charge for the refurbishing, again, "no charge to you".

Fantastic Fan is another company with this same attitude. What a deal!

Guess what companies are going to get more of my business?

Coloradobus
12-31-2008, 01:16 AM
Larry,

I agree with you totally.. Roadmaster has been extremely helpful as we were researching our next tow car. They even agreed to check into creating a baseplate for a 2002 Mercedes G-500. (Yes, they are towable.) In the end, we ended up with a Lexus LX-470. ( Also towable, but Toyota says not) But mechanically like the G-Wagon, the Lx-470 has a manual transfer lever with a neutral position. The experts tell me there is no mechanical reason why neither can't be towed. the tranfer neutral separates the rest of the drivetrain from the tranny just like in Rover, a Jeep, or Dodge or Chevy truck 4X4.

Blue OX is also extremely helpful and accomodating. They do free towbar tuneups at their facility in Pender, Neb. They have a full hookup campground next to their complex that is free as well.

Kenneth Brewer
12-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Larry,

I agree with you totally.. Roadmaster has been extremely helpful as we were researching our next tow car. They even agreed to check into creating a baseplate for a 2002 Mercedes G-500. (Yes, they are towable.) In the end, we ended up with a Lexus LX-470. ( Also towable, but Toyota says not) But mechanically like the G-Wagon, the Lx-470 has a manual transfer lever with a neutral position. The experts tell me there is no mechanical reason why neither can't be towed. the tranfer neutral separates the rest of the drivetrain from the tranny just like in Rover, a Jeep, or Dodge or Chevy truck 4X4.

Careful. Yes, a transfer box neutral separates the rest of the drivetrain from the engine (input shaft), but when this is done when the engine is running, to be winched, towed out, whatever, the drivetrain is being moved (turned over) a short distance, lubrication will occur because the (engine) input shaft and related gears and shafts circulate oil by gear entrainment, in other words oil gets dragged around to various parts even if there may not be a pump (driven by the input), and that is one thing. But towing long distances at relatively high speeds for long periods of time without a pump is quite another.

When the drive train is spinning (because of being towed) but the input shaft isn't: engine off, input shaft stopped and tranfer case in neutral, things can and do get hot, and after a period of time, oil dry (insufficient). That is why some manufacturers don't care to affirm they can (could safely) be towed 4 down by any statement in the affirmative. Keep in mind the manufacturers know that more units could be sold if they said yes, but don't because some transfer cases weren't designed with towing (of the sort we are talking about) in mind, and they don't need headaches and lawsuits.

Some have specified a maximum speed (40 mph in one case, I recall) AND distance. Then the requirement is/was to stop, engage the transfer case, and drive for some distance (means disconnecting your toad). This was to get oil where it is supposed to go, for the next (short) stint.

That is why drive shaft disconnects are sometimes used.

I am only a messenger, subject to immediate dismissal, of course.