PDA

View Full Version : Alert: High Temp Fuel Caution

merle&louise
12-29-2008, 10:16 PM
A few months ago, Jon posted that 3 sensors on a series 60 could stop the engine from running. He suggested carrying these as spares, so I took his advice and bought them from my local DD dealer plus 2 others.

Guess what? Today we were returning from Shreveport, LA and the Pro Driver displays "ALERT: High Temp Fuel Caution". The engine didn't stop, but I had a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT and the alert on the Pro Driver. We continued the drive home with no problems, but it sure was nice to have that spare part on board.:D

Thanks Jon!

12-30-2008, 10:21 AM
When ordering the sensors what parts do you ask the DD parts folks for, are they universal items for most Series 60 DD's? How difficult is it to install them, and where are they actually located on the engine.

merle&louise
12-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Bruce,

The thread is under: Busted Knuckles - Bus Engine Shutdown.

I contacted my local DD dealer, gave them my series 60 engine model & serial numbers and told them I wanted the sensors that Jon mentioned in his post. They ran about $375 total; I figured it was a good investment.

The dealer said to tell Jon hi !!!!

12-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Especially if it goes out when you are on the road. I will read Jon's post and make a call to my DD dealer, thanks much

hhoppe
12-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Five sensors: As I understand it there are (5) five sensors that can shut you down. Check with your Detroit Diesel parts/service people to identify them. Any one of the five can shut you down. I purchsed my spares from a Freightliner parts house. We are talking here about series 60 engines only. 8V engines probably have different sensors so check these out at the same source. On my 8V I had a problem with the wires to the sensor that times the fuel injectors. That sensor can fail and is located directly below the DDEC computer. Some are extremelly hard to get to for replacement. If you require help in changing them, it helps to have them on hand.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Just so everybody is aware, and to repeat what I think has already been said elsewhere...we have a lot of things that will shut us down beyond those sensors failing. I think we had a discussion and a number of other sensors were pointed out along with some relays and circuit breakers.

Those were selected because it seems several POG members have had them fail. But there are several others ranging from the throttle position sensor to the run relays.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Excuse my ignorance here.

How in the heck can the fuel be overheated:confused:

A very desired accessory up north is any one of a number of different fuel heaters to keep away the evil gel. I had one that was a heat exchanger pulling heat from engine coolant so in the winter I was burning 180 degree fuel and the motor was loving me for it.

I don't get it, how could the fuel get overheated?

Steve Bennett
12-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Joe, when the fuel gets pressurized via the high pressure fuel pump it heats up. A % of the fuel gets returned to the fuel tank where it will heat up that fuel as well. If you read through the Prevost manual it will tell you not to run with low fuel in the tank as it can become to warm and potentially damage the injectors. Some coaches, and trucks will have fuel coolers installed to help prevent this, it also provides more power due to the increase in volumetric efficiency because of the cooler (denser) charge.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Fuel cooler there is another new term for me:o

Very odd.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-31-2008, 08:41 AM
I think my 8V92 had a fuel cooler located on top of the engine under the DDEC module.