PDA

View Full Version : Batteries, downsize?

ken&ellen
12-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi gang.......it has been awhile, but we are back and once again need some opinions! I am sure there are many, but I want to downsize my batteries.
Currently our Liberty has 6 6volt Trojan L16H batteries that offer 435 Amps on the 20 hour scale. These seem to be an overkill since I have only lights, water pump, bath fan, aux. air ( for toilet ) and my Webasto system. 99% of the time I am either hooked up to shore power or charging off alternator as we go down the road. I am in the process of cleaning up the battery compartment as well as painting it and my 4 year old batteries are leaking. The Interstate battery dealer feels that I could downsize to an equal to the Trojan 105 which is a staple in the golf cart / utility vehicle area. What do you guys think? Gel cells are out of the question after looking at my current 401K statement.

Thanks, Ken & Ellen

Petervs
12-29-2008, 07:16 PM
You could put anything in there that was 12 volts, either 2 six volt batteries in series, or 4 of them, two in series and 2 more in parallel with the first set.

Whatever will fit in there easily can be done.

It makes no difference. More capacity means you can go longer before you need to recharge, but the recharge takes longer.

I presume you have a propane refrigerator?

garyde
12-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Its all about your rate of electrical usage. If your parked at a rest stop for a few hours or parked at a freinds house, or even parked at a service center odds are your not going to be pluged in.
Peter's right. If you don't have your refer on the system that reduces your overall needs. Keep in mind also, the batteries draw down to about 60% and their dead, so with fewer batteries you wil be working them more.

ken&ellen
12-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks guys, my refrig was never designed to work off inverter or DC power.
I have an all electric coach with minimal frills....no electric doors or powered curtains. Ken

Steve Bennett
12-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Ken, you may want to look at Lifeline's site. We always recommend the AGM batteries do to the fact that they are maintenance free, the do not gas, and they are very forgiving. The problem with a conventional Lead Acid battery is the acidic fumes and discharge that damage the bay, and cables, That is why you are needing to repaint the battery bay/box. The Lifelines are not inexpensive, but last a long time, and do not emit the vapors that damage the cable ends, electrical components nearby or the bay. They are available in a variety of sizes, and capacities, can be easily shipped, and they are a POG sponsor with discounted pricing.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Ken no one and I mean NO ONE here has bought batteries as inexpensively as I.

We are similar to you a propane fridge, 1 2500 watt inverter and do very little in the bus without the gen or shore power.

I have a local Interstate Battery shop close they are a national franchise and assume there is one close by you somewhere.

Every summer they get a few pallets of factory seconds and one of those pallets is usually all deep cycle. All that is wrong with them is missing carry straps and scratches and bad logo or labels. I got new 12 volt deep cycle batts for 20 bucks each!