PDA

View Full Version : ZipDee motor replacement

jelmore
12-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I need to replace the motor in my patio awning. Had the original motor replaced last March with ZipDee's new Nice brand motor. Buddy Gregg did the replacement. The motor shaft failed shortly after (the welds broke!) and ZipDee took care of the labor to replace it. Now this new motor has failed and ZipDee has sent a new one. I guess I need to do the motor replacement myself. I know pretty much how it all goes together since I've had it up and down several times manually. What I can't do is rivets. That's something I've never done. The new Nice brand motor is held in place or kept from rotating or something by three rivets at precise locations. It doesn't seem the rivets actually attach to the motor.

I'm wondering if I have to remove the existing rivets to replace the motor, or will it slide out and the new one slide in without having to put in new rivets?

Maybe I should wait until tomorrow and just ask ZipDee. But it would sure be a good Sunday project. Or maybe we should just go to the pool.

garyde
12-28-2008, 01:22 PM
After you release the tension on the awning, It would be a simple thing to drill out the 3 rivets and replace them. Just make sure the Rivets are rated for the use. Zip Dee should be able to tell you the type of rivets.
Also, make sure the motor is the same ampere rating as your fuse size. When I had my motor replaced they installed a larger motor and did not change the reset fuse size. It would not unwind properly.