PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a trailer to pull...

Tully
12-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Have a 40 foot Country Coach, what is the maximum size enclosed pull along trailer I can pull to be legal?

Was looking at a 24 foot Roadmaster enclosed trailer.

Ideas, thoughts? Are they a pain to pull? Any suggestions.

Would use to go to car shows and pull a 2nd vehicle when going on vacations with the bus.

Tully

dalej
12-24-2008, 02:30 PM
I have a 24 foot trailer with a V nose, total length of the trailer is 30 feet. I have always pulled a trailer.

There are not to many on this site that pull trailers. I would only guess 10 percent or so.

It sounds like 65 feet in California is the limit. Maybe 60 in some of the small east coast states, just a guess. There is a place to see all the limits I'm sure.

I pull a boat trailer with overall length of 30 feet too and sometimes a 10 foot cycle hauler.

Orren Zook
12-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Occasionally I tow our 27' United UXT enclosed trailer with the bus and aside from the increase in length and a slight decrease in fuel mileage you'd never know it is back there.

Tully
12-24-2008, 03:12 PM
So, pulling a 24 foot V-Nose from time to time should not be too big of of issue? Making turns more difficult? And I would guess you never want to try and back up with this attached to the bus?

What do I do in regards to braking issues?

The Roadmaster I am looking at has stainless siding just like the Prevost and would look very nice.

The trailer weights 4000lbs and has gvw of 9800libs.

Tully

dalej
12-24-2008, 04:57 PM
M trailers have brakes, so that helps. I back all the time, I kind of like that part. My little cycle trailer, now thats not really that fun, it's quick to turn.

I have never pulled a toad so I reallly can't compare to it.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Dale lets see a picture of that boat trlr with the motorcycle mounted on the neck.

Come on don't be shy. Heck Jerry put up a picture of that Scout on a trlr can't look any worse than that:D

While I am up thank you Ted for your thoughtful present. The fed-ex guy just dropped it off. It is the only material thing I will receive this year.

God bless you for thinking of us.

Are they grease rags or for dusting:confused::o

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Hey Joe, they put bling on your thing. Anything!

:DJIM:D

Joe Cannarozzi
12-24-2008, 06:08 PM
What you got them too:eek:

Tully
12-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Hey Joe,

What is your thoughts?

Only sometimes would I pull a trailer.

Anything different I should keep in mind while driving & backing up?

Tully

Joe Cannarozzi
12-24-2008, 10:42 PM
If I were full timing and cost were not a consideration since I have an XL I would think the stainless sided one to match is my choice too.

I would be moving around infrequently and when I did I would drive slower than Jon. Even if I was very picky with what I take at best it will be pulling at least 8000 gross and that is a big load by any standard.

I would get the smallest of small compacts. A 24 would be large enough to do that plus carry many other things but If I had to have anything bigger for a toad I just feel it is too much to be yanking around IN a trlr.

We have a 40 and I might be a little biased when I say viewing the outside it is aesthetically the best proportioned bus they ever built. The 45"s stick out too much in the rear and I ain't a H guy either.
A 40 with a matched 24(not a stacker) in tow is proportioned perfectly:)

The lions share of states are 65ft with a handful at 60 but other than California if you keep it within reason you will never be stopped. If you get one with an enclosed tongue it will be big, your under 65ft it is safe a 24 will not be a big load, 4000 empty.

I would try to keep the gross weight down. again a sub-sub compact will get me to 6500lbs gross and it would be way easier to load and unload it too. That is about where I am at with my 1/2 ton PU loaded down with gear. That would leave me 1500 or 2000lbs max for more STUFF, I would always be trying to keep it lite as I could.

Trailers empty are lite and big and are a useful tool but where many go wrong is they overload them. Keep it lite.

Find out what Dales gross weight and tongue weights are and keep it under that. I think he has been doing it for a while and never burned up a trans doing it and that would be the weak link. IMO.

Never check your mileage pulling it you will not be happy.

Kevin Erion
12-25-2008, 10:30 AM
I thought I needed a matching stacker so when I found the SS side 30' stacker, I was so happy! 13000LB empty and I guess 18000 when I had everything that I just had to have, got the space, fill it up with stuff.
Best day was when I sold it and now I am putting together a 4 door GMC Duramax with 8' bed. I will install a cab high shell and have a bus spare wheel and tire, gas BBQ and a couple of scooters for the girls when we get to the race tracks. I guess I will weigh about 10,000LB full, down 8000LB without leaving anything else behind but the weight. We will have a better vehicle to drive when we show up, everything else safe under the shell. I know it is heavy, so is the bus, the good news is there is no tongue weight that comes with the trailers, bad news is they don't back up, a little looking ahead always works.
My 2 cents.
Happy Holidays!

Tully
12-25-2008, 02:18 PM
The trailers Im looking at are around 4000lbs empty and have around 10k gvw.

My question is "do I have to learn how to make turns" with this trailer? Do I pull forward more, swing wider?

How is backing up? The V-Nose is better for this with less chance of damage to the trailer?

Tully

tdelorme
12-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Tully, there is nothing new to learn to pull a trailer. You might need a trip or two to really get used to it, but it is not a problem. As far as the V vs. flat nose, the length of the tongue also needs to be taken into consideration. We sometimes pull a 20ft box trailer, flat nose, and have never had any problems.
I just pulled a 31 ft. Airstream trailer 400 miles home with my bus without any problems. But, I agree with Kevin, I prefer to just hook up and pull a tow vehicle four down.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/as2.jpg

Jeff Bayley
12-25-2008, 08:18 PM
I think Kevins got the right idea with the truck set up. I was going to buy a companion trailer just the same weight he described. It was 13k pounds empty. Sounds like your wanting to take custom cars so Kevins good idea won't work for you since you want that thing off the ground I guess.

I towed the trailer for the guy that bought it from CA to Florida with my old classic car and some other household stuff. I got a lightweight 18' now to put the dirk bikes and 4 wheelers in for weekends. Yes, you have to turn a little bit wider but the track pretty well. The one I had had used had a steering front axle which both made zero tounge weight and also make it track amost exactley in a perfect line as the rear wheels when turning but those trailers are like 80k new.

PLSNTVLE2
12-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I use this as a guide for different state requirements regarding length laws. I'm not sure if any have changed from the 2007 laws, but I usually don't follow them anyway.

http://www.woodalls.com/output.cfm?ID=1195129

Coloradobus
12-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Ted

Way to go with the Airstream. Looking GOOD! Some of our local airstreamers want us to pull a trailer with bus. Unfortunately, most of our rallies are on soft surface, so the "H" won't leave the pavement. Once buried the XLII in the Quartzite sand in 2003 up to its tire bead!:eek: NO fear, we walked it out with sheets of 3/4 inch plywood cut in 1/2.:D

Lesson learned: never try parking in the desert in the dark. Everything looks firm in the dark!!;)

bonhall41
12-26-2008, 12:50 AM
We had (still have) a 44-foot Haulmark on a Freightliner chassis that we use to pull a 32-foot stacker trailer and we have never been stopped. Of course, we've never been to California with it. We downsized and down have a 24-foot stacker behind the bus when we're hauling race cars, etc.

Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.

Bonnie

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-26-2008, 09:51 AM
I think if you have the trailer plates from the same state as the bus, you may be able to "SMILE" your way out of a ticket in another state, if you are over their length limit, as long as you are within the legal limits of the licensing state for bus and trailer.

Montana according to Terry's list has no maximum length limit, so I guess the federal limit prevails on interstates.

JIM

Coloradobus
12-26-2008, 11:17 AM
The area in Ca our 2 friends were stopped and measured was on I-10 between Blythe and Palm Springs. If they suspect your over, they will stop you and measure you.

Tully
12-27-2008, 07:32 PM
As far as hooking up lights and such. The trailer I am looking at has a five or seven prong set up. Joe C you might remember, what type of set up I have.

Is it hard to reconfigure the wires if they need to be to make everything work?

Do the electric brakes work off the same plug in?

Will have have to have some type of control box for the electric brakes?

One one forum a member said anytime his jake brake kicked in it would also activate his electric brakes on trailer. Is this a good thing or bad thing.

Again, just trying to get some info so I can proceed with this trailer.

Thanks,

Tully

P.S.

I recall seeing a long time ago a lock type box you could put on the trailer hitch when not attached to minimize theft. Anyone hear or know of such a thing?

Tully
12-27-2008, 07:33 PM
As far as hooking up lights and such. The trailer I am looking at has a five or seven prong set up. Joe C you might remember, what type of set up I have.

Is it hard to reconfigure the wires if they need to be to make everything work?

Do the electric brakes work off the same plug in?

Will have have to have some type of control box for the electric brakes?

One one forum a member said anytime his jake brake kicked in it would also activate his electric brakes on trailer. Is this a good thing or bad thing.

Finally, the trailer has 12 volt lights. I think the lights on my 1990 Country Coach are 24 volt. If this is the case, what do I need to do?

Again, just trying to get some info so I can proceed with this trailer.

Thanks,

Tully

P.S.

I recall seeing a long time ago a lock type box you could put on the trailer hitch when not attached to minimize theft. Anyone hear or know of such a thing?

Darl-Wilson
12-27-2008, 08:01 PM
First Tully, there are adapters that are readily available to go from one plug type to another. Another solution might be to just change the trailer plug. It is easy to make the change with a simple multi-tester. The electric brakes work off of the same connection if the trailer brakes are electric. Your friend probably had surge brakes that activate when the tow vehicle activates it's brakes, (such as in JAKE BRAKE) If the trailer has electric brakes you will need to have a brake activator installed. This could require some extensive wiring, depending on the type of activator installed. Having your trailer brakes applied is good when you apply ANY brake on the tow vehicle. You need to check (multi-tester time again) to see if the bus plug has 12 or 24v. My bet is that it has 12V if factory installed. My '97 CC has factory wired 12V.

Let us know if you have any more questions Tully. Good Luck!!!

Darl

dalej
12-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Tully,

I'm pretty sure you would have a pre-wired coach that is ready for a trailer. CC added relays from the 24v side to activate the 12v trailer.

You will have to add a brake controller in the driver area if you do not have one. They will be wired through the 7 conductor plug. You can wire it separate from the JAKE.

When I unhook my trailer I pull the hitch from the bus and put the ball in the trailer and use a padlock so no one can hook onto the trailer. I also put a locking pin in the hitch hole.

Tully
12-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Dale,

That sounds promising. Simple plug and play. I sure hope so. Will look into this to see.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Tully

Tully
12-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Ok I have my search down to two trailers:

22 Foot V-Nose / Box is 22 foot and V-Nose is additional 30 inches

24 Foot V-Nose/ Box is 24 foot and V-Nose is additional 30 inches

If I went with the 24 foot would that not put me over the legal limit?
I sure would like to go with the 24 foot. However, no certain if that
30 additional inches in the V-Nose will come back to bite me?

Both trailers are the extended height with interior height of 8' 6".

So, how much of an issue would going with the 24 be?

Tully

dalej
12-31-2008, 09:45 AM
Tully,

I really think you'll be happy with either one. Seems like the trailers get filled up no matter what size they are. I always take my Harley and a SUV so I just like the extra room.

PLSNTVLE2
12-31-2008, 10:42 AM
Tully,
When measuring the trailer length, you will need to consider the overall length including the tongue. A V-nose or flat front does not make any difference to the AOL. Although the V-nose will yield more space inside the trailer.
The 24 footer will likely be a least 29 feet long. It looks like your CC is a 45'er. (45+29=).
I opted for the flat front trailer because I liked the interior layout better. It gives me a work surface and cabinets all the way across the front.

As Dale mentioned in an earlier post, your bus should be set-up with a 12v wiring kit for a trailer but wont include a trailer brake controller. You will also need to run an additional wire for the brakes. I chose to run directly off of the brake switch located in the steering bay. It has a 24v output so a voltage transducer and relay will need to be added as well. You can locate these components in the steer bay as well.

You should have a plenty of spare wires running to the back of the bus. Be sure you use the heaviest one you can find.

I used the aux post on the seven pin connector to supply 12v to the trailer for lighting and battery charging.

Tully
12-31-2008, 10:52 AM
My Country Coach is 40 feet.

I thought there was a maximum of 65 feet law.

If this is the case, the 24 foot V-Nose could not be used?

Tully

PLSNTVLE2
12-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Maximum of 65 feet only in some states. Others allow as much as 75 feet. The 24' trailer will still put you over length in some. (CA).

Jon Wehrenberg
12-31-2008, 11:29 AM
I do not pull a trailer. I do however try to comply with the 65 foot length. I am in compliance when we haul the Hummer, but I am 3 feet over at 68 feet when I pull my pickup truck. When I travel solo I do tow the pickup.

This is only my observation, but it appears the length limits are enforced if the driver is doing something stupid like speeding or driving agressively. When we were in Spearfish the police that weighed us made it clear they could care less how much we were overweight or length. But I distinctly remember a fellow that pulled into Prevost Jacksonville with a 45 foot coach hauling a 35 foot trailer. He had just paid $500 to the S. Dakota coffers. He got a ticket for overlength and while he did not like paying it he had two observations. First, he was glad they did not make him unhitch and figure out how to get it hauled out of the state, and second, he considered the fine a cheap price to pay to be allowed to bring all his toys.

My observation was that he was likely a cowboy that got their attention and he got a ticket because he was acting in a foolish manner.

I would not be anxious to go to states desperate for money however because overlength rigs are a revenue source.

tdelorme
12-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Tully, what is the legal limit in your state of residence. That's the standard you will be judged by on Interstate travel. Exception being California. I won't even guess what can happen out there. I have gone over 75 ft. on several rigs in the past and was only stopped once down in Mississippi. He just wanted to look at the rig (motorhome, Jeep and Hobie Cat) and turned me loose without even a warning citation. If you prefer the 24 ft. trailer, buy it. I really don't think you are going to have any problems.

jonnie
12-31-2008, 11:47 AM
I agree with Jon. I pull a trailer and the combo is 75 feet overall. I have never been stopped of even questioned at toll booths. I make sure all the lights are in proper working order as well as the brakes. I always try and drive defensively and courteously especially when towing. By this I mean always using turn signals especially for lane changes. You will find that the truckers appreciate this and will signal you when it is safe to change lanes.

Tully,

I prefer the flat nose also for the same reasons. Make sure you get at least 10000 GVW and what is called an RV tongue. Mine is 54 inches long and helps to keep you out of the jack knife jackpot

Tully
12-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Well thanks for all the replies. I am going to do the 24 footer.

This trailer is a little heavier than the original Roadmaster I was looking at.
The empty weight on the Roadmaster was 4000lbs.

The trailer I am now looking at is built by United Trailers. I am pretty impressed with their quality. Anyone ever see or one one? Thoughts?

The empty weight is at 6000lbs.

What is my cut off on full GVW on the Prevost/ Have10k hitch> so, 10K?

Tully

Tully
12-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Well I may have hit a snag with this trailer.

It appears my Lincoln Navigator has a maximum towing capacity of 8300 lbs.

If this trailer is going to be around 6k pounds empty, that on leave ms 2300lbs for payload? Is that correct?

If so, I will have to go with another option. That stinks.

Tully