PDA

View Full Version : Headlights - Recommendation on replacements.

sawdust_128
12-22-2008, 08:21 PM
What is the consensus here? I would like to have a little more light when I am driving at night. It seems the current bulbs (I don't know if they have ever been replaced) just aren't bright for one thing and they don't give me a range of visibility that I am comfortable with because it doesn't feel safe.

Thanks in advance.

truk4u
12-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Dust Man,

High beams, that's the only answer that I'm aware of...

Jon Wehrenberg
12-22-2008, 08:43 PM
I have no experience with the current high intensity lights, but I do know the sealed beam 4 lamp system on our 87 coach was spectacular. Low beams were good, but when I kicked on the high beams the visibility was excellent.

But I have no illusions. Night driving is for young eyes and we should be aware that what might be bright enough for night driving may be blinding to oncoming cars.

Kenneth Brewer
12-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Agreement here; the high beams are adequate, but the low beams aren't all. I would love to know of brighter replacements for these headlights without modification of the physical lamp style or dimensions or method of alignment, if possible.

phorner
12-22-2008, 10:10 PM
You may be able to up-grade to the new Sylvania lamps, but don't overlook how much of an improvement you can get by simply polishing the plastic lens. They get dirty and cloudy over time and can be polished to allow substantially more light to be emitted.

Worth a try....

3-M makes a kit to polish the lenses but any quality plastic polish will do the job.

Darrell McCarley
12-22-2008, 10:14 PM
SAWDUST............ Try the Sylvania Silverstar from your local auto parts store. About $38.00 for both lights. Very bright and white. Much better than old style bulbs.

adamdegraff
12-23-2008, 10:45 AM
SAWDUST............ Try the Sylvania Silverstar from your local auto parts store. About $38.00 for both lights. Very bright and white. Much better than old style bulbs.

They have these at Wal-Mart. I got them and was really impressed with the difference. I don't know what was in there before, but the Silverstars are markedly better.

~Adam

sawdust_128
12-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I checked the condition of what I have. They are halogens. It appears the high beams were replaced. Without a thorough inspection, it appears the fixture, lenses, and bulbs for the high beams were replaced/upgraded fairly recently. I'll have to check the records for any notes on that.

It appears the lenses for the drivers are somewhat, not severly though, clouded. More significant is that the reflectors on the normal drivers are clouded, and may be a big part of the issue. I will have to dismantle to determine if it is dirt or deterioration.

Follow up question: The silverstars, are they a blue colored light? Are they a standard replacement or are there wiring/fixture issues with them, as Ken Brewer pointed out?

Jon Wehrenberg
12-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Ed,

I don't know the type lights or bulbs on your H3, just bear in mind the information you are getting is valid for the Ford style headlights on the rivet XL coaches and my not be applicable to your H3

sawdust_128
12-23-2008, 01:28 PM
This may not be what is installed, but these are the Prevost specs.

High beam spec is:

50 watts
Prevost Part# 561198
Trade part # H4651

Low beam spec is:

35 watts
Prevost Part# 561199
Trade part # H4656

I also have some Bosch fog lamps that appear to be previous owner added into the front bumper, or maybe converter added. These are O.K. for adding light for wide-near visibility, but don't do much for extending driving visibility for the low beams.

BrianE
12-23-2008, 01:39 PM
To further Jon's.... A check of the Parts Manual shows the H3 having 4 sealed beams. Assuming that's the case, Sylvania does make sealed beam Silverstars. I used them on an old Ford Ranger pickup and they were a super improvement. As I remember, they were cheap too.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Those are the same sealed beam lights as we had on our 1987 XL. The low beams were OK, but when the high beams were turned on they lit the night.

I think you are stuck with them unless you change the front end to use the new high intensity lights, and I have no way of knowing if those provide better lighting. You could cheat and get driving lights that light more forward than spread the light.

sawdust_128
12-23-2008, 02:33 PM
I went to the Sylvania web sight. They have a pictoral comparison on the Silverstars. Wow. what a difference. They make the sealed bulb replacements I need. They add either 5 ot 10 watts to the power of the low beams and they are a blue-white light so a smaller attenuation on the light. I'll keep researching and get to a parts store. I could not find any mention as to whether or not they are just a drop in replacement or whether they need wiring and fixture enhancements.

If they just pop in, that will probably be what I do.

Thanks for all the advice.

After going back and re-reading, I just re-stated what Brian had said. OOps.

Ray Davis
12-23-2008, 03:16 PM
The silverstars should be a drop in replacement. I put them on my 93CC, although those were individual bulbs, not sealed beams.

I was assured by the store I purchased that these didn't require any wiring mods, as they were very similar to originals. Other higher intensity lights would have required rewiring to use with the bus.

They made a big difference on mine (I also replaced the plastic shields, which were in awful condition)

Ray

Will Garner
12-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Hey Woodchips,

Ed you might want to check on the alignment (aim) of your existing headlights. If you do change to the Silverstars you definately should have the alignment (aim) checked.

My old low beams were not acceptable to me. I checked the alignment and found the driver's side was not pointing forward and down but left and up. Not good aim for light getting onto the road ahead. High beams were wonderful, just too bright when faced with oncoming traffic.

Let me know how the Silverstars work for you. I might want to change mine out too.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and Cindy - plus the wonder dog!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-09-2009, 12:09 AM
1 ) When aligning the Headlights on the bus: Do you do it yourself and hope for the best, or take it somewhere for them to aim them properly, like they do on cars?

Loc, suggested I just pull up close to a dark wall, and try aiming them myself, but Not sure if that is what I should do or not? I am not questioning Loc's idea mind you, just questioning if there is a proper way of aligining them?

2) I have docking and cornering lamps on both sides of the bus. Only the cornering lamp ( Front of Bus ) on the passengers side is out, and not the rear docking lamp on the passengers side. I replaced the lamp, but still get nothing.

It only has 2 wires, so I think even I could connect it correctly? :p Is there a fuse or relay in the drivers door, that might affect this cornering (turning Lamp )? :)

I really rely on these lamps at night to let everyone know my intentions of turning, and lane changes and would like to get it fixed?
Thanks in Advance.

Gary S.

Will Garner
01-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Gary,

I just had some other work done at a nearby tour bus company. I asked them to aim the headlights with their tool while I was there. My lights, which like others have complained, were not "bright" enough on low beams. Mine were way out of "aim." They are now aimed correctly.

I tried the piece of cardboard method and the best you can do if you are lucky is get the aim in the neighborhood of being correct.

I'll let you know after a night drive how much improvement there is in my low beams. Like everyone else, on high beam you could play a game of baseball in front of me - especially when supplimented with the two "fog/drive" lights.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks Will for the insite.

I will have the bus at Buddy Gregs, in the coming weeks, ( Repair Work they screwed Up the first time ) so I will see if they have this "Aiming" capability?

I believe things should be done correctly, but have found sometimes I CAN'T AFFORD to do it correctly? :o :D

Gary S.

ps: Any answers or ideas on my cornering lamp issue not working? Thanks

Will Garner
01-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Gary,

Hey, I know the feelings about doing it right but the budget being too tight! Just as a point of reference it took the tour bus mechanic supervisor about 30 minutes total to get the instrument, do the set up on all four headlights, make the adjustments, and repack the instruments. Stay with the coach and watch them do the work. You will find out if your headlights were mis-aimed and by how much. Mine were really bad - must be the old eyeballs are not as finely tuned as they used to be! Let's see when is that annual eye check, oh yes next month:eek:

rfoster
01-22-2009, 05:01 PM
:cool:I recently changed my headlights to the Sylvania SilverStar. A nice improvement. Would recommend the Silver Star if you are unhappy with your headlights performance.

tdelorme
01-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Wanting my bus to have all the latest and greatest gadgets available, I went out and bought the SilverStar bulbs. When I pulled the first side off and took the old bulb out, it's a SilverStar. Spares are nice.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Will, do you remember what the mechanic charged you to Properly Aim your headlights?

I am having some other work done at Buddy Gregg, and they quoted me about $400 to aim the headlights and fog lights properly ? :eek:

The boss promptly told me no #@%$ way are you spending $4 big ones for that. :o

I checked with Marathon in Ft.Worth and they don't do it, Prevost said their aim machine ain't aiming right now. So I may just have to pull it up to a dark wall, like Loc suggested and do it myself. Oh Crap, what am I getting myself into???? :confused:

Good news is I already replaced the old light bulbs with New Silverstar Bulbs.

Gary S.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-23-2009, 12:41 AM
I wanted to add something from my question in the above post about my passenger cornering lamp, not working. I know everyone is holding their breath....:p

I fixed my cornering lamp issue, while I was @ Buddy Greggs last weekend.

There are fuse blocks ( black square ) in the drivers door compartment for virtually all exterior lights, the cornering lamps being no exception, HOWEVER, the fuse was not the problem. When I replaced the Brand New Sealed Beam that I just purchased from Marathon, with the SPARE Sealed Beam that I also purchased at the same time, it worked perfectly.... Kind of like replacing a Norgreen valve with a Brand New Norgreen valve that leakes, I guess, but Not nearly has much work.

I have cornering lamps now. :D

Gary S.

Loc
01-23-2009, 08:18 AM
GS

Using the wall works pretty well. I replaced the headlight housings and lamps on the XL a few years ago and re-aimed the lights which were pretty pathetic before hand. I was able to achieve pretty good results. If you want to bring the bus to the barn I would be happy to help. You need to park a reasonable distance from the wall and check the level on the coach and establish a level line on the wall to achieve a good result. Glad to hear the cornering lamp works.

Loc

gmcbuffalo
01-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Loc
are you using the standard 4" down at 30 feet from the height of the lights when you're 3 feet from the wall?
GregM

Will Garner
01-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Gary,

I'll have to go check my invoice. I can tell you right now that it was nowhere near what Buddy Greeg quoted you for the aim job. Let me look it up and I'll get back to you tomorrow. Carole and I just got back from a trip to Naples Florida. As you can see from a previous post the trip included a stop at Parliament Coach. Now that stop cost more than $400 easy.

Hope all is well with you guys.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-23-2009, 10:28 PM
What's the problem Will you think 400 is a little high for a headlight adjustment:confused::eek:

How much do they get to check the oil:rolleyes: How much more to add oil if nessessary:o

jkbriggs
01-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Just put 4 new Silver Stars on mine. They are much brighter & super easy to install (sealed beams).

Will Garner
01-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Joe,

My entire bill totaled $345.00. That included some minor parts and four hours labor. The headlight aiming was so inconsequential it was and not even identified as part of the work! The labor total included the aiming. So yeah, I think Buddy Gregg was looking to rip Gary a new one!

Most tire stores, especially those that handle big rigs will have the tools to do the job. I just happened to think of it while I was getting the other work done before my Florida trip.