PDA

View Full Version : Bus Fire

JIM KELLER
12-20-2008, 05:59 PM
At Prevost in Jacksonville A couple of days ago and thought I would try to post some pictures with the help of our grandson.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-20-2008, 06:15 PM
If that was a Liberty JDUB would be all over that, but it is not.

merle&louise
12-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Jim,

What happened?

garyde
12-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Hi Jim. Bummer. Whos is it?

Joe Cannarozzi
12-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Was there any indication how it started?

Good job on the photos, did you learn how or have you now put him on the payroll:rolleyes:

JIM KELLER
12-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Tuga, It was a new Bus being transported to it's new owners out West by a Transport Company. An investigation is underway to determine the cause of the fire. Prevost Tech's are unable to find where it started.

Gary, Don't know who it belongs to. I found it interesting that there was no Converter's name on the Bus. I looked everywhere. Inside, outside, front, sides and rear. The engine doors were there with nothing on them either.

Thanks Joe, I watched him do it but didn't EVEN understand what went on ! We are staying at our Daughters house in Charlotte for Christmas and I will get additional lessons while we are here. They have room to park our Bus but no electricity so we will excersize the Generator for a week or so. There is always a lot of Christmas Spirit here and we even like our Son-in-law. How often does that happen!

Joe Cannarozzi
12-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Sounds like your gonna have memorable Christmas.

2 or 3 more downloads togeather and you will have it I'm sure, keep tryin.

Kevin Erion
12-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Looks like an Entertainer bus, no window shades and standard wheel well openings. Also notice the distance behind the last bay door, very short.

merle&louise
12-21-2008, 10:11 AM
What could potentially cause a fire on a bus?

Is there anything that we could check as preventive maintenance to stop a fire before it starts?

Jon Wehrenberg
12-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Where would you like to begin Tuga? The potential for a fire exists almost everywhere on our buses, cars, houses, etc.

In our buses every inch of wire between its power source such as a battery post or a power post in an electrical compartment until the circuit breaker or fuse is an unprotected electrical circuit for example. Prevost and the converters try to minimize the length of unprotected cable or wire, but how many owners have ever inspected their battery cables for worn or damaged insulation or potential to short to ground. Those unprotected electrical shorts generate the heat equivalent to a welder.

How many buses with toe space heaters have ever had them cleaned of dust, and how many have been checked to insure they are not cycling on an over temp thermostat?

Anybody done an inspection of the exhaust system on the bus or generator lately? The exhaust gases run up to 1100 degrees. That will set fire to almost any combustible material on the coach.

In the case of my bus fire the siezed OTR AC compressor locked up with the seal behind the clutch leaking freon under pressure. 22 or 24 pounds of a combustible gas along with about 1/2 gallon of AC oil. The belt kept spinning and as it heated from friction it ignited and became the ignition source for the freon which has a flash point well under 1000 degrees. The burning freon was like a blowtorch because it was carrying compressor oil which burns very hot. Once everything else ignited there were multiple ignition sources for such things as the oil in the reservoir, the battery cable insulation, the fiberglass tail light housings, etc.

Run with a flat inside dual until it ignites. You can't buy excitement like that.

A small unnoticed fuel leak, the kind that justs mists the inside of the rear engine doors can create an impressive fire it it ignites. And the fire gets even better if it burns through the hose.

All of the oils on our bus will ignite. Power steering, AC compressor oil, engine oil, transmission fluid, and fuel. If leaks are tolerated they build up a layer of combustible material on anything they coat. A clean engine and engine compartment not only helps find leaks faster, but it minimizes the risk of fire.

The wiring in the house is substantial and every wire is a potential short circuit. Not all circuits are properly fused, especially those that have been installed by an owner.

But, with a little care, attention to detail and an occasional inspection we have some pretty safe buses.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-21-2008, 12:56 PM
It looks like a 40 with a slide Kev. Maybe it is a superbus.

An entertainer would have an extra bay.

Coloradobus
12-21-2008, 02:53 PM
I have see an all while Superbus, and all black Superbus and a white and black. Can't find them anymore on line, Joe maybe right it could be the black and white Superbus, the striping is close to what I remember one being.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Yes they still have the white unpainted one for 695 asking with custom paint to customers preference

The last, or 1 of the very few 40 ftr double slides. Unique for sure. I could see the benifit of that, if only the bus had rivits and an 8-V:D

Anyone who has ever taken a closer look at Super-Bus want to add anything?

How were they? They look good in photos.