PDA

View Full Version : Snow and Prevosts

garyde
12-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Check this one out. You could loose sleep over this. http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&vid=7828bb28-2de0-4fe2-90f8-3f66d243e7d0&playlist=videoByTag:tag:news_u.s.%20news:ns:MSNVid eo_Top_Cat:mk:us:sf:ActiveStartDate:vs:0&from=MSNHP&tab=s3&GT1=42003

Ray Davis
12-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Yikes. Man is that scary!

Jamie Bradford
12-19-2008, 09:49 PM
I just returned from picking up my son in Ann Arbor. We spent last night in Piqua, Ohio at Poor Farmer's RV Park( actually Fletcher, OH)
What a disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We departed this morning around 8am in the rain then realized the entire lot was a solid sheet of ice. The guys there were nice enough to bring salt out and clear a path for me after I almost went into the proverbial " Land Of No Return". I did walk the route first & " thought " all was well-----

BOY-- did I realize quickly this bus on anything slippery IS NOT GOOD.

I WILL NEVER AGAIN ATTEMPT TO OPERATATE THE BUS IN " SUSPECT" CONDITIONS!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Jon Wehrenberg
12-20-2008, 07:00 AM
We've done more than our fair share of slippery conditions driving, not only in cars and trucks, but also the bus. Tom is another hazardous weather driver and I am sure he will echo my thoughts.

I have confidence in my ability to recognize when it is safe to go, stop, etc. The bus actually does quite well once underway. But on more than one occasion I parked the bus because it was the other drivers that were a danger to me. Now that we have moved where the weather is far less severe I have made up my mind I am never driving it in snow, and we are now even staying parked when it is dense fog.

I don't have to get anywhere bad enough to take chances anymore and I couldn't be happier.

truk4u
12-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Jamie,

Your lucky, no boo boo's on the bus and no wrecker needed. Like Jon, 3/4 of my life was spend in the wonderful world of upstate New York winters trucking across the frozen north and I could care if I ever see snow again. You can drive in snow, some have to in order to make a living, but ice is another story.:(

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-20-2008, 10:38 AM
I agree with Jon and Tom 100%. Snow sucks!
Having lived in the snow belt my entire life, I have learned to cope with it, and that's about all you can really do. There is no secret about it or way to beat it. The only way to defeat snow is to avoid it. That is don't get out in that kind of weather.
My short journey from Erie, Pa to my garage in Westfield, Ny reinforced my belief. The bus was difficult to get moving but once it was it was going to be more difficult to get it stopped. As it turned out I was leader of the pack in the timing of getting on the interstate. Almost none in front of me and many behind. I captured two lanes for going forth at 25mph with the 4 way blazing and could see the line of lights behind. The bus offered a false sense of security and the only time I was worried was when some few AH passed.
When I drove down the exit ramp I had the same feeling as when I stuffed my race boat into a wave and upon surfacing wondering if I was still alive. Well in this case I new I was for sure and said to myself I will never be in these circumstances again.

merle&louise
12-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Karen & I have talked about a snow skiing winter vacation, but we don't know how to drive in snow. It doesn't snow much in south Louisiana. It looks like the cardinal rule is GO SLOW and don't drive on icy roads! I suppose the highway authorities warn motorists of hazardous conditions.

We are considering staying in Albuquerue and driving the Honda Pilot up to Santa Fe and skiing in that area. I skied that area about 12 years ago and it was o.k. for a novice like me. We may do it next year for Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas, all of my presents can be mailed to P O Box 1369 Houma, LA 70361. Don't be bashful, remember spending a lot of money on my presents will help the economy:D

truk4u
12-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Tuga,

Did you get the big box I sent you for X-mas labeled Prevost?;)

Danss
12-20-2008, 07:41 PM
We just drove from Reno to Medford, Oregon in somewhat of a blizzard. We are now in Coos Bay Oregon to spend the night. Another storm is coming so I guess we will do it again as we head thru Northern Ca. back to Reno in several days. Had no problem with completely snow covered roads and white outs. We do this whole area every Christmas. We go to the interstate and sometimes go left, sometimes right, sometimes straight as we go completely without a plan!! Oh, by the way we are not in the Bus. Merry Christmas

merle&louise
12-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Tom,

I hope that its the 2003 XLII (Blue) that is on the prevost-stuff site. Man, that is one beautiful bus. Is that bus a new listing? I don't remember seeing it before. Beautiful inside & out.:cool:

lewpopp
12-20-2008, 09:33 PM
All of a sudden it came up for sale as far as I know. He lives across from Paul. He may have the skinny on it.