PDA

View Full Version : What Part Is This??

tdelorme
12-19-2008, 01:36 PM
OK, time for another chance to win a six pack of micro fiber towels. Not the used ones like Loc won last time, these will be new!!
You may have one of these on your bus, or you may not. If you know what it is, I hope you can tell me where to get another one as it will greatly increase the "happy camper" level on our next trip.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/spd1.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/spd2.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/tdelorme1/spd3.jpg

ajducote
12-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Looks like an old style speedometer cable to me. Where it goes on the bus, I have no good idea. Maybe from one of the front wheel hubs? Or from the transmission output shaft to a sending unit?

flyu2there
12-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Without a doubt, that's a semi-vascular schizophrenometer!!

John

rfoster
12-19-2008, 04:57 PM
That used to be the cable that controls the anal retentive valve and the backside of the turbo charged nitrogen powered turd-o-matic under the seat of Jdubs bus.

tdelorme
12-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Andre, very amateurish guess. Of course it LOOKS like a speedometer cable of some kind, but we all know nothing is ever what it looks like when we're talking Prevost. Quit fiddling around and make a serious guess.

Fly, no, only Country Coach has need of that thing you said, I have an antique Liberty.

Roger, wow, close, but this part is from my bus, not JDUB's and if you think I would ever get under the seat Of JDUB's bus, it ain't gonna happen.

I'll give a hint that will give it away to anyone who has ever dug into the bowels of a Flex Steel Co-Pilot seat. " Think Co-Pilot seat."

Joe Cannarozzi
12-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Could it be the drive for the electric foot rest. Could even be for simply moving it up and down or back and fourth, that does look like some of the old stuff Detroit used in the past on power seats.

How and the heck do you post such large pictures:confused:

truk4u
12-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Send me the towels Mel, it's a Framulator!

tdelorme
12-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Joe, you are da man. That is exactly what the part is. The drive cable for the footrest on our FlexSteel Co-Pilot's seat. When Jim C. was in Dallas picking up his new ride, we drove over and took Jim & Barb out to dinner. I had been planing to take the seat over to Paul Davis' to be recovered, so I dropped it off that day. Paul has an upholstery guy that is as good as it gets and is half price of most others. Anyway, when I got the seat reinstalled, the foot rest wasn't working. Took the seat back off and started the search for the problem. I unhooked one end of the cable just to see if it was turning at all. When I was hooking the cable back up, I hit the switch to align the shaft with the hole. The end of the cable started unwinding instead of slipping into the receiver, so now I need a new cable. Who knew the darn thing was made like that. Turned out the seat cover guy had hooked up the wires wrong and I should have thought of that long before I ever unhooked the cable in the first place. Jan does not know about this problem. I figure we'll be going through Dallas on our way Pheasant hunting the Saturday after Christmas when she hits the footrest switch. I'm working on my "how did you screw up the seat look" presently, so It's gonna be her fault.
I would have had the new cable in time, but FlexSteel is closed until Jan. 5.
Joe, send me your address for the micro fiber towels. Big pictures? No problem, slip Skiffer an extra twenty bucks the next time you see him and you can do anything you want.

gmcbuffalo
12-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Ted
Look in the phone or on the internet for flexstel dealer in your area, they should have parts. RV interior remodel shop, RV supplus outlets or even wrecking yards that have wrecked RV would be another good place to look. How about speedometer repair shops maybe they could replace the cable in yours?
Good Luck
Merry Christmas

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Ted, get any cable that is longer and pull the inside flex part out and cut to length. Square up the cut end with a hammer on a steel block. They used to sell the flexible inner shaft in auto parts stores for the repair I have suggested.

JIM

dalej
12-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Like Jim, I would just repair it. I would use a gas welder and braze the end that is bad and grind down to square it back up.

Just mail it up here! I'll fix it and mail it back to you.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Dale, you must be right, I was just going to suggest the same method of repair.:rolleyes:

Mel, I think you can braze with a butane torch if you don't have a gas welding outfit.

Also a place to look in your rural area is at a tractor dealer. See what they have for tach. cables. They sell the inside drive cable around here, so I'm sure they have it by you as well.

JIM

jasperjr
12-20-2008, 05:40 PM
You may also see those cable(s) on rack and pinion driven motorized folding couches. Our Millennium's couch works that way and if they get too far out of alignment from one another- one side further than the other- the torque stops the motor.

tdelorme
12-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the repair suggestions. The problem is the shaft won't come out of the housing and the housing is going to melt as soon as any heat is applied. But, since FlexSteel is closed until Jan. 5th, I will FexEx the cable to you, Dale and see if you can work some magic. I went ahead and reinstalled the seat this afternoon. The first time was a pain, but I've got it down to about ten minuets now.
The thing that bothers me is that I have replaced cables similar to this one for years and never noticed a shaft made like this one. What the heck would be wrong with a solid shaft instead of one that will unwind with just a little abuse?
Dale if you will send me your address (don't see it on the members map) I'll sent the cable Monday, and thanks.

dalej
12-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Just so everyone can find some of the POG members address's

Quick Links -> Dale's Member Map -> scroll down

or http://midwestleds.com/POGmap

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Ted, grab the bad end with visegrips and try your best to pull it out.

You have nothing to loose by ruining it more.

JIM

dalej
12-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Well I beg to differ, if he is sending it to me to fix. I don't want it to be stretched out. :)

lewpopp
12-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Dale , tried to add my address to your map but could not find where to click to do it. DUH !!!

dalej
12-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Lew,

Members have been just emailing their info to me since I have the user name and password for updating.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-20-2008, 11:25 PM
It has to be flexible Ted, solid will snap.

tdelorme
12-21-2008, 07:57 AM
It has to be flexible Ted, solid will snap.

Right, Joe, I understand the need for flexibility. But, every cable I have ever seen had solid tips. More than likely, I just never looked close enough to see that the tip was formed stranded wire. You can know that this is the last one I will ever screw up the tip on. Hopefully

dalej
12-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Well Ted sent me the cable and had to show you guys how it turned out.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-27-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't know Dale. You have to show both ends in the same photo.

;)JIM:rolleyes::D

tdelorme
12-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Jim, hush up. It looks great to me. Well done, Dale, I certainly appreciate it. I can promise you Jan will be glad to have the leg rest working again.
We're still up in Oklahoma hunting but will head home tomorrow and look forward to reinstalling the cable. Thanks a ton!!