PDA

View Full Version : Smart Tire problem

merle&louise
12-18-2008, 06:45 PM
I had a SmartTire monitoring system installed on my coach in October 2008. It worked great until last week. It would read the driver's side front tire but not the passenger side front tire. I was told to send the receiver to the factory for repair/replacement. It is under warranty so I'm not out any money!

Has anyone else had trouble with their SmartTire monitoring system?

Ray Davis
12-18-2008, 07:29 PM
I haven't had any problem with mine. It's reading all 12 tires at last check.

Ray

merle&louise
12-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Ray,

Thanks for the response. I guess I just got a faulty receiver!:confused:

Thankfully, it is easy to replace it.

nrhareiner
12-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Hello Tuga,

I have used the Smartire system for over 3 years. Are you getting any error reading (E1) on the unit. If you are then the sending unit is not being read by the receiver. If you are not then there are probably two possibilities: 1. the receiving unit is no longer recognizing the sending unit, or 2. there is a problem with the receiver. I would try and see if I could "teach" the receiver that there is a sending unit attached to the right front tire. If that fails, then I would send back the receiver to Smartire. Over all it is a good system, and has saved me a couple of times.

merle&louise
12-19-2008, 08:36 AM
Kim,

Glad to hear that you like the system and that it has prevented a costly tire failure. I'm sure that I just have a faulty receiver; I sent it to be repaired yesterday afternoon. The repair facility is in Junction City, OR.

How do you teach the receiver to recognize a sending unit?

truk4u
12-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Tuga,

It's a great system, but a little spendy and a PIA if you have a sender problem, since the tire has to be broken down. I had it on 2 previous plastic CC's and lost a signal from one tire. It was a battery problem with the sender. Hope yours is the receiver and not the sender.

merle&louise
12-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Truk,

Glad to hear you liked the system. Like so many other diagnosis, it seems prudent to start with the simplest step first; so I sent in the receiver to be repaired/replaced at the suggestion of Newell. When it returns from the repair facility I will hook it up and see what happens!

I have already been warned to be very careful when breaking down the tire to access the sending unit. My tire guy told me that they have done this before, so that is good news. The sending unit is close to the valve stem on the inside of the tire.

Orren Zook
12-19-2008, 03:32 PM
SmarTire Systems was recently purchased (12/08) by Bendix Commercial Vehicle Systems - if the sale is approved by the share holders your warranty issues/questions should be probably be directed to Bendix or one of their distributors in the near future.
Here's a link announcing the sale: http://www.truckinginfo.com/news/news-detail.asp?news_id=62094

ronwalker
12-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Tuga,

Your problem apparently has to do with the location of that transmitter on your coach. :rolleyes: Of the 14 sending units I've had on my rig since July 2005, only the one on the right front wheel has given me a problem. It takes up to 15 minutes to finally decide to report in, then works fine. Please post any details the company gives you on what failed.

merle&louise
12-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Ron,

The system worked perfectly from October 2008 until December 11, 2008, so I don't think that the location of the antenna is the problem. In fact, the passenger side tire "reported in" first before the driver's side when the system was working properly.

I moved the antenna closer to the passenger side tire yesterday before I mailed off the receiver and it still didn't work (I didn't however, wait 15 minutes for it to find the sensor). So maybe your diagnosis is correct.

Thanks for your help. I'll post the results when I get the receiver back.

Question: If the bus has 8 tires and the toad has 4 tires; why have you had14 sensors? Were the other 2 sensors replacing faulty ones?

Orren,

Thanks for the information on the buy out by Bendix.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-20-2008, 10:57 AM
How about a three axle trailer for a toad, Tuga. That would be 6 tires in back!

JIM

merle&louise
12-20-2008, 11:52 AM
You're right; I never thought of a trailer with 6 wheels.

How are you enjoying the Elegant Lady? It sure is a beauty!:D

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-20-2008, 12:38 PM
It's a lot of fun Tuga, even camping out indoors:cool:, which is all I have been doing lately. The bus sure stays clean that way, and the diesel bill is nada!

JIM

lewpopp
12-20-2008, 09:44 PM
How about a pickup with dualies. Come on Jim, get a job.

lewpopp
12-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Sorry Jim, that sarcasm should have been aimed at Tuga. He's a ____ ___ anyway.

merle&louise
01-05-2009, 06:59 PM
For those of you who have been lying awake at night wondering what was wrong with my SmarTire system.

UPDATE: The problem with my SmartTire system is a faulty sensor inside the tire. SmartTire will send me a free replacement and I will return the faulty one. :D

Ray Davis
01-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Kind of a bummer to have to break down the tire to fix. But, at least they are taking care of you on the sending unit.

I was going to suggest it might have been a sender, instead of the receiver, but .....

Ray