PDA

View Full Version : Onspot Chains

Darrell and Linda
12-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I was just looking at some of the threads and I wanted to comment on this. I know that snow chains have been discussed in depth a couple of months ago but has anyone considered Onspot chains. I agree with most and I would not travel in the winter months because of the road grime and salt. But early spring and late fall traveling may catch a few off guard through mountain passes or around the lakes with snow or ice storms. Especially the full timers.

Check out and google Onspot Chains. There are manuals and videos. I use them on all of my emergency vehicles .. pumpers and tankers. They work very well and they get us to the emergency scenes safely. We have been running them for about eight years now.

Maximum 40 mph. No good if your are already stuck though. Like other chain systems, they give you great traction on the drivers but you must mind your steers. I believe there are approximately $2600.00 US installed.

Darrell

Joe Cannarozzi
12-16-2008, 11:48 PM
I know a few guys who would be interested in those, very cool.

What type of service do you provide?

sawdust_128
12-17-2008, 01:24 AM
For service and emergency vehicles, I think that the Onspots would be great. For the coach, I have been looking at these: Goodyear Q09 also named Siepa and Tire Sock.

Right now, I am not sure they are available/legal in the U.S. My big concern is I have had chains come loose/break. What they did to the auto wasn't pretty.

Also, as something that I might need infrequently at best in consideration of our current plans, I would rather be carrying fabric instead of steel.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-17-2008, 07:16 AM
We drove our 40 footer from 1990 through 1999 all year long through all that Mother Nature chose to dish out.

I know traversing the 6% grades in VA and WVA can't compare to running the mountainous passes of the west, but with substantial snow amounts along the Great Lakes I had experience ranging from packed snow, to ice to wet heavy snow to deep powder and blowing snow with drifts. I can tell you the bus handles quite well. Your biggest problem is not the bus and keeping it going. It is reluctant to start moving, but once it does it will keep going easily. The bigger problem is the other drivers.

I don't need to get anywhere bad enough to ever want to put my bus on a snow covered highway again. They really are out to get me, and one of these times they will.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-17-2008, 07:30 AM
I thought they were a good idea for trucks.

If you googled it there was a video the second choice down.

Seems like a pretty good solution to stopping and chaining up.

If I were running out west delivering freight I would want them.

Darrell what do you do, firefighting?

Jon Wehrenberg
12-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Whatever happened to sanders that used to be on trucks? Anybody remember them? Joe?

truk4u
12-17-2008, 09:22 AM
I remember the sanders quite well. Had sort of a hopper/tank mounted in front of the drive wheel with a tube hanging down in front of each tire. There was a cable running to the cab that opened a knife valve in the bottom of the tank and you could regulate how much came out.

When they worked it was great, but then the tubes would get plugged up with snow and slush and you were done. You could use sand, gravel, rock salt, sawdust or ashes. Most drivers just used them to get moving and then saved them for next time.

sawdust_128
12-17-2008, 10:17 AM
I remember the sanders quite well.
.................. You could use sand, gravel, rock salt, sawdust or ashes. Most drivers just used them to get moving and then saved them for next time.

Thank you, just don't think you're the first one to throw me under the bus.

Darrell and Linda
12-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Just info guys;
It not my favourite past time driving in the snow and ice, especially with my coach. I doubt I'll be installing them on my coach but they are a great system for those who travel full time and may be caught in a early spring storm. It 's a good system for someone who wants a little traction.

But the danger, as always, is the over confidence that these system gives the inexperienced. I deal with that on a regular basis with my new firefighters / operators.

By the way guys, how do you like all that nice Canadian weather that just blew by my window. It's on its way if you haven't got it yet.

Joe; I'm the Deputy Chief - Operations in Leduc County

Darrell

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Mike Kerley, read your PM, please.

JIM

tdelorme
12-17-2008, 01:17 PM
"By the way guys, how do you like all that nice Canadian weather that just blew by my window. It's on its way if you haven't got it yet"

Darrell, please keep your weather north of the border. We do however, welcome the flights of geese that are passing over today. Keep um coming!!