PDA

View Full Version : Digital vs Anolog T.V.

JIM KELLER
12-16-2008, 07:42 AM
At this point I am not ready to tear out and re-do the T.V. Cabinets in our Bus. Can't decide on what look we want and which flat screen fits and looks the best.

My question is will I need two Converter Boxes, one for each T.V. or will one box at the switching center work both T.V.'s I realize cable and satellite will continue to operate but February will be here soon.

dale farley
12-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Jim,

One box will work as long as you are watching the same thing on both TV's. The box works just like a Cable/Satellite box.

dalej
12-16-2008, 08:43 AM
The remote for the converter box will have to be in sight of where you are watching the tv in order to change channels.

You can have the converter box at the point where the signal come in but will have to go close to that point to change channels.

dale farley
12-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Jim,

I assume you know that you can go on line and order a coupon to get $40 off on each of two boxes. I got one for the bus and one for my workshop in case I need/want to use them. I got the two $40 coupons and bought the converters at WalMart for $49 each, so paid $10 each.

The main thing I've noticed is that the boxes bring in about 3 times the number of channels that I could pick up on an antenna. The number of channels will reduce significantly once they actually make the change to digital, since all the analog channels will be gone.

I use a set of rabbit ears on the box in the workshop, and it works just as good as any other antenna. Of course, I could just run my satellite wire to the workshop, but I don't use the TV there enough to justify cutting a trench across my driveway.

jimshoen
12-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Jim,
I just installed the digital converter in my bus. One converter and three TV's no problem. Installed it in the AV cabinet near the switching unit. I am also using a Niles IR remote repeater (flasher) system. This allows me to use the Converter box remote at each TV. Works well. I do not see any reason to replace the original Sony Trinitron TV's.

jelmore
12-16-2008, 11:18 AM
The remote for the converter box will have to be in sight of where you are watching the tv in order to change channels.

You can have the converter box at the point where the signal come in but will have to go close to that point to change channels.

Yikes! I guess I haven't checked into these boxes. I thought they just converted the signal and passed in on to the old tv. Didn't know they had remotes. In our coach, the antenna signal goes to a selector box and the selector box distributes that signal to all the tvs. I thought that's where the converter box would go and all would work as before.

Not so? This sounds like I'd need a converter box at each tv.

Maybe it's time to rip it all out and start over with all new components -- the cable/satellite switch, the source selector for three tvs, the old tvs, etc.

Ray Davis
12-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Assuming we are talking over-the-air TV at this point, that would mean the batwing antennas on our coaches. When I've seen HiDef antenna's they look nothing like the old batwings.

Will the batwing antennas work now with the new hidef digital signals, or is there a better antenna option? In several years of running with the bus, I've only used the batwing once, so I'm not really concerned, just more interested than anything else.

Ray

jelmore
12-16-2008, 01:11 PM
I've heard that these exiting antennas work fine for digital and that high definition is a separate thing, though digital. I guess there's regular definition and high definition, all digital. So little time to learn all this.

dale farley
12-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Ray, I was experimenting with this for a while, and what I noticed was that virtually any antenna works very well with the box. I tried a HD antenna with a strong amplifier and it made very little difference when compared to any other antenna. I tried this at my house and at a campsite about 30 miles away, and the results were the same. There "may" have been 5% difference in a HD picture when using the HD antenna compared to a regular antenna, but it was very minimal to the naked eye. May be different for others, but I wouldn't spend any money on a HD antenna.

Ray Davis
12-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys. Dale, knowing you got a signal, I would expect zero difference in the picture. Being now a digital signal, you either get the correct picture, or it freezes and you don't get a picture.

We should never see "fuzzy" pictures, or other types of problems which were inherent in the analog world.

What I might expect is that the edge of where you are able to get the signal and not, would maybe be further on an antenna specifically designed/tuned? But, it's great to know that it "just works".

Ray

JIM KELLER
12-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input.

Yankee802
12-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Guys, you don't need any stinking converter box! (unless you have and intend to keep your old TV) If anyone buys a current LCD TV, it will have a built-in analog AND digital TV tuner. You just plug in your existing cabling that is already there for your antennae or sat, and enjoy. (of course with sat, digital is a non issue)

Now for anyone with an old style TV that wants to upgrade: There are a few ways you can go, but bottom line you will want a LCD that is roughly the same width (current TVs are almost all widescreen). You then can install a mounting bracket that will allow you to lift or swing (depending on how you install the mount) the LCD out of the way and access the new found room left by the old TV. There will be enough room for a computer or a PS3 or XBox easy. If anyone would like help or pictures of how I did mine, just let me know.

Geoff

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Geoff, what's a PS3?
Is this a case of if you don't know you don't need one? :confused:

JIM

Yankee802
12-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Jim,

Yeah, that's pretty much the case. :)

PS3= Sony Play Station 3

mike kerley
12-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Guys, HD or Digital TV is one in the same. Some Digital signals are in Higher Definition than others. The more definition given to a particular stream or program, the more bandwidth or space it uses in the channel spectrum and the better the picture. Being a digital signal, it will never be snowy like analog signals, it will either work or not work. When you see the picture start to freeze and stutter/pixelate, its about to drop. That is why so many different types of antennas will work. Some will work better than others, but the difference will be most notible in the distance it allows you to travel from the tv transmitter before it starts showing the pixelation in the signal.

You will notice in the future, that as stations begin to add additional programming on second and third channels (and other little features and gadgets), the quality of the main channel will drop some in definition because some of the bandwidth available is being used for these secondary programs. When the program is produced in full HD (1080P) and transmitted at that format, you get the best possible picture. You will currently only enjoy that with an "HDMI" cable connected from a satellite or cable receiver or an off the air broadcast through a receiver with an HD tuner.

jimshoen
12-16-2008, 10:14 PM
I am using the original Braund overair antenna that came on this bus 12 years ago. It works perfect for the the digital signal. Do not even need to put it up all the time.