PDA

View Full Version : Kalifornia Kamping

Loc
12-09-2008, 09:13 AM
We are trying to load up the Fat Beagle and head west to the Golden State for the holidays. This is probably wishful thinking on my part, but it doesn't hurt to dream. In route to SF, we are looking for a campground between LA and SF. I found one on the internet called Pyramid Lake RV Resort in Gorman and wanted to get feedback if any from the West Coast crew. We are just looking for a spot to spend the night that will fit 45 feet and has 50 amp service. Additionally, we are coming back from SF to LA by way of Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP's. I found what looks to be a nice rv park in Chowchilla called The Lakes RV and Golf Resort. Any thoughts? This appears to be within driving distance of Yosemite and Sequoia. We have stayed at the KOA in Mariposa and the KOA is Visalia and would prefer to skip these and just drive a little farther in the tow vehicle (actually Pete's tow vehicle as one of our POG brothers is loaning me his Jeep Wrangler so that I can avoid the pesky CHP's and the 65 foot combined length law).

We are planning on meeting JDUB and the Dubettes in Anaheim for a few days with the Mouse after their bowl victory in San Diego. I think JDUB is talking with Ray et al about a little Fatted Beagle throwdown at the Anaheim RV Resort some time around New Years day.

Ray Davis
12-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi Loc,

I've never been to the campground you mention, but gut feeling tells me to avoid Gorman like the plague. Gorman is in the mountains of the Grapevine, and the wind comes through there at about 186.5 MPH (I think that's 3 times as fast as Jon drives!)

Off the cuff I would suggest instead of heading out I-5, head instead out to 101 and go north through Santa Barbara area. Gary has mentioned a couple of nice parks up in the SB area.

Gorman is probably too close from where you'll be in Anaheim, it's probably just barely over an hour away, so you wouldn't have gained anything in terms of making it to SF.

Santa Barbara is around 4 hours out, and would be a more logical stopping place. The trip up 101 is bit longer, but the road is prettier, and I think you'll enjoy it more.

Maybe Gary would chime in on this?

Ray

jello_jeep
12-09-2008, 12:37 PM
LOC, would be happy to help, but not familiar with either of those locations, not in my AO.

Hope to see you guys when you are around at some point.

ajhaig
12-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Loc,

We stayed at The Lakes RV and Golf Resort in Chowchilla when we went to Yosemite, it's an easy and beautiful drive to the national park. The Lakes RV and Golf Resort was very nice, it's right off the highway and a quick shot from San Fran.

How goes life under the TARP?

AJ

adamdegraff
12-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Hey, be sure to wave as we pass you. We are headed down that way from Oregon. Plan to hang out south of LA, maybe as far south as Chula Vista RV park. Maybe we'll just dry camp on some of those groovy surfer beaches for a few days. If anybody is down that way from 12/14 to 12/18, let me know and maybe we can all say hi. My in-laws will be there in their li'l RV. Should be fun. :cool:

~Adam

Loc
12-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Ray,

The stop in Gorman is coming from Houston on our way to SF. We are planning to stop the first night in Las Cruces and the second night in Gorman about 750 to 800 miles each day and then finish with a relatively short drive to Pacifica. I was looking to go up the 5 because I thought it would be the shortest distance (kinda that two points straight line thing). We have driven the 5, the 101 and the 99 at least one way going to or from SF. I just looked at the mileage and it looks to be pretty close to the same either way. Maybe Gary will chime in on the SB area campgrounds.

AJ,

Life under the TARP is not much fun. I am on my 9th week in NYC with no end in sight, but it is great to be working and receiving a paycheck although it is much smaller after NY taxes. Hope that you, the bride and the Red Storm are well. The Chowchilla park looks really nice on the internet and it is nice to have someone confirm that has been there.

Adam,

Where are you guys going to be the week after Christmas? We would love to have company in Anaheim. We are planning on arriving on the Sunday after Christmas and leaving the Saturday after New Years. You would have to tolerate JDUB and his persistent Pantone Pokes Pride (practicing my aliteration) especially if they are in the propitious postion of prevailing.

Ray Davis
12-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Kathy and I are considering camping out at RV village as well some time during that period.

IF nothing else, we'll get the SoCal contingent to do the "dinner thing".

I can't wait to join up with you all.

Adam, do contact us if you're going to be in the area earlier.

Ray

Sid Tuls
12-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Loc

There is a new R V Park in Bakersfield. I'll be going past there tomorrow on our way back from Amarillo. I know it's big rig friendly. There is also another one in Pixley,Ca that is also new. I agree with the KOA in my town is a dive if I can be of any help just give me a call 559-901-6426 I Have a 50 amp at my house but just don't know if were going to be home but feel free to call.

garyde
12-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi Loc. Here's a nice place right off Hwy. 5 on Hwy 126. http://www.campingfriend.com/ValenciaTravelVillage/default.asp?file=Rates

garyde
12-09-2008, 10:17 PM
This is another at the Coast on Hwy 101 just north of Ventura. http://venturabeach-rvresort.com/

flyu2there
12-10-2008, 12:10 PM
That's an ambitious schedule, especially the Las Cruces to Gorman leg! Sounds like you are more than casually familiar with the region however remember that rush hour into LA begins at 6 am and runs until just about 10 am, while the outbound rush hour begins about 2pm and runs until 7 or so in the evening. Because you are transversing Los Angeles it is prudent to avoid those hours, unless you have the patience of Jobe.

I presume you will be on the 10; the connector has just recently been opened which allows one to jump on the 210 shortly after coming off the Banning Pass, near San Bernardino and continue on that highway all the way to the 5 in the Sylmar vicinity----not too far from Gorman. The highway is one of the less traveled roads in Los Angeles save the stretch through Pasadena where it can get a bit "busy". Also, although the freeeways are very well marked in California, there is one exception in Pasadena where, if you are not paying close attention, the 210 will turn into the 134 which will turn into the 101 through Studio City and onwards towards Ventura. Coming into Pasadena, as soon as you see anything resembling high rise buildings (10 floors or greater) on YOUR LEFT SIDE, immediately get into the far right lane as the 210 breaks to the right with virtually no warning. Add some heavy traffic to the mix and you can easily find yourself headed towards Ventura on the 101, although that may not be your worst option!

Monitor the weather carefully as highway 5, over the Gorman Pass and down the Grapevine, does close on occasion in the Winter months. They get snow and ice and all of that stuff up there and add that to California Drivers and you will find it a place to avoid during inclement weather.

Now for places to stay....... Depending how much stamina you have, your first opportunities will strike in Indio and continue on through Palm Springs just before you climb the Banning Pass and decend into the Los Angeles Basin. There are many nice spots along that portion of the route. But, if you go for the gusto and just swallowed an energy drink, and you are hopefully outside of the commute windows, make the run. The campground at the intersection of the 5 and State Highway 126 is decent as mentioned by Ray. Gorman is at about 4000 or so feet and gets cold. I think continuing beyond those two would border on the unwise---just too damn far.

Looks like Pacifica is your goal so, if you are on highway 5 from Gorman and decent drive is to Santa Nella. There is an inexpensive 50 amp wide ally pull thru place there. There is a grip full of truck stops there as well and do not forget to go to Andersons Pea Soup Restaurant and ave the travelers special....nothing like classical gas! Should you be on the 101 Northbound try Betabel RV Resort in San Juan Batista, right off the freeway and, once again, lots of room, wide ally's and concrete pull thrus.

Either way, both spots mentioned are 3-4 hours out from San Francisco which will probably allow you to garner some much needed sleep.:D

Loc
12-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Fly,

Thanks for the info. We are planning on hitting LA late Saturday afternoon and hope that the combination of the weekend and late afternoon are in our favor. I will watch the weather closely as fog or inclement weather will cause me to opt for the 101. I haven't decided yet on the 5 versus the 101 but I agree the 210 is the way to go provided I am paying attention and watch the signs closely especially at the turn in Pasadena (we almost missed it last time). We generally have stayed in Indio/Palm Springs in the past, but we are trying to get closer to SF before stopping for the night. We (I) am acustomed to driving 800 + miles in a day given our desire to travel to far away spots and needing to work full time. The 55 mph speed limit makes it slower going than it should be, but you get to stop and smell the traffic that way.