PDA

View Full Version : Generator starting. (Jim Shoen, I know you know:-)

adamdegraff
12-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Having a nagging little generator issue. For some reason, if I haven't used it for a couple of days, it doesn't start very well. It tries, but it seems as if it doesn't have fuel primed in the system. If I go out, and prime it by hand, it starts right up. Is there a specific problem associated with this type of symptom?

The gen is a 20 KW Marathon end with a kubota motor. To prime it, I loosen the little fuel line wheel, and "preheat" the starter, click-click-click-click, tighten the little wheel, come inside, press the gen start button, and wham, it comes on. If I don't do all of the above, it tries to start over and over again, but won't. (battery seems fine, plenty of fuel, filters are new, etc.). One new thing... it has been cold. Could that have something to do with it? I have treated the fuel for cold weather though.

Thanks for any advice.

Adam

bluevost
12-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Adam,

The only thing you didn't mention is the fuel pump. Are all the wire connections good and tight?? (I haven't sold a CD in weeks!)

Ken

jimshoen
12-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Hi Adam,
You have a 20 KW Power Tech generator. PTS MH-20 with a Kubota V2203-BG1 four cylinder engine. The phone number to Power Tech is 1-800-760-0027. For Kubota parts call Gulf Engine at 1-800-925-4966.
The 'little fuel line wheel' is called an 'Air Vent Cock' and is on top of the fuel injection pump. Sometimes referred to as a fuel injection pump cock. Always keep the air vent cock closed except when air is vented, or it may cause the engine to stop. The air vent cock is used to release air that has gotten into the fuel lines, like after replacing the fuel filter. Aka, bleeding the fuel system. If bleeding the fuel system gets the generator running, then there must be some reason air is getting into the system. The cold temperatures could be causing some fitting to allow a small amount of air into the fuel line? The switch/toggle labled preheat is also a prime switch. The click click click you are hearing should be from the fuel pump. It is running while the preheat is activated.
Check all the small fuel line clamps and confirm the air vent cock is closed. I had the situation where my fuel supply line had a hole rubbed in it which allowed air in and fuel out. Make sure there is no fuel under the generator.
The trying to start over and over again is a sign of air in the fuel system. Could be a simple as tightening the air vent cock a litttle more?

Jon Wehrenberg
12-05-2008, 06:35 AM
I had a similar problem on the Kubota powered generator in my previous coach. It would be a hard starter after sitting for a long time. I would power up the fuel pump (only) after a long period of non-use with the valve open and then close the valve and listen for the fuel pump to change frequency to indicate it was pushing fuel.

That always solved the starting problem and I never pursued it further because it was only a problem after a long lack of activity.

I agree with Jim, and it may be as simple as something allowing fuel to run back into the fuel tank, such as a bad check valve. I have no clue if there is one, but my generator never had a drop of fuel or oil come from it so if fuel was leaking back it was internal to the fuel delivery system.

I own two other Kubotoa powered pieces of equipment and neither of them hesitates to start no matter how long they sit. Starting has not been an issue on the Yanmar powered generator I now have.

dalej
12-05-2008, 07:44 AM
On ours, if it hasn't run for months, It will turn over for 5-10 seconds before starting.

Ours is not like a car starter, I just keep it turning until it is running and then release the switch. I used to release it after it fired, but it would die. I called Kohler and they said to just keep the switch on until it's running.

Don't know if this will help on yours.

Will Garner
12-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Adam,

My generator is an Onan. I too thought I had a starting problem early on in my ownership. Turned out to be exactly what Dale said. I'd hold the start toggle on until it sounded like the engine started. Then immediately upon releasing the toggle the engine died. All that was necessary was to hold the toggle down for about five more seconds and the engine would keep running.

I had the generator serviced at Cummins Atlantic. It had a little over 1,000 hours showing. The service tech pointed out the air filter appeared it had never been changed.

Hope you get your issue sorted out quickly.

adamdegraff
12-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the input. I'm starting to wonder if I may have a slightly weak battery. I find that many times battery issues (or battery connection issues) make themselves appear as other issues. Everything else seems to be in order. Will report back when I have answers.

Best,

Adam

adamdegraff
12-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Adam,

The only thing you didn't mention is the fuel pump. Are all the wire connections good and tight?? (I haven't sold a CD in weeks!)

Ken

Ken,
hey man, we need you on the road. We've been swamped. With the economy in the crapper, CDs are selling quite well. I figure everybody sill buys Christmas gifts and that a signed copy of a CD from a show they saw is in the budget at $15 a pop. In fact, now that diesel is down, I'd say POGers could afford to buy two of them. Here are the links to my two favorite CDs, just in case anybody needs some stocking stuffers. (The DVD and our two older CDs are only available by contacting us directly.)

http://cdbaby.com/cd/pianafiddle2
http://cdbaby.com/cd/pianafiddle

Happy shopping :-)

Adam

Jim Skiff
12-05-2008, 07:05 PM
When are these promos going to end? :D

________________________________________-

Adam. Please let me know if you guys can play in OKC, it would be awesome.

Is there a POG discount? :eek:

Jim