PDA

View Full Version : I know it's not (thankfully) a Prevost problem...

Yankee802
12-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Well, I hope everyone else had a Happy Thanksgiving, mine wasn't so happy. I went to a friend's house for dinner, and when I got to his neighborhood, I lost power steering and got the battery light, so I turned off the car and took a look. I saw a pulley wasn't where it is supposed to be and had it towed to my local BMW repair shop (Atlantic Autowerks) here in Norfolk, VA.

Now for the bad news, the estimate is slightly over $5k! :eek: Here is what the estimate says:

WE FOUND THAT THE PULLEY ASSEMBLY BRACKET THAT ATTACHES TO THE LOWER TIMING COVER IS THE PART IN THE TRUNK. THE BRACKET ATTACHES TO A THREAD BOLT POST ON THE LOWER TIMING COVER AND THAT POST IS WHAT BROKE. PART OF THE LOWER TIMING COVER IS STILL ATTACHED TO THE PULLEY ASSEMBLY

. THE LOWER TIMING COVER WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED!

The warranty book through BMW shows it to be around a 30hr job, and that's usually less than the normal labor rate.

So, does anyone have a contact number or hook-up with BMWNA? My CPO expired already, but my shop has never seen this kind of failure, it's NOT normal, unless someone here has had this happen? It would be nice if BMW would fix this, my baby ('01 BMW M5) only has 78800 babied miles on her.

Geoff