PDA

View Full Version : Pure Water Enterprises

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-02-2008, 12:35 PM
I am thying to get in touch with Pure Water Enterprises, whose last known address was.
343 Broad street, Lake Charles, La 70601, 318-439 4579.

They do not answer the phone. An automated message says " the Alltel customer you are trying to reach is unavailable at this time". Kind sounds like they are out of business.:(
Any information anyone has about them would be very much appreciated.

JIM

sawdust_128
12-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Check your email. I mailed you the Corporations database search from LA Secretary of State.

merle&louise
12-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Dusty & Jim,

Would one of you email or PM me with that address. I have their water filter (I love it) in my coach and would like to have their address just in case I need parts.

Jim,

It is easy to backwash the filter. Just connect you coach to city water supply and turn on the timer (on top of filter) for about 15 to 20 minutes. Be sure to park on a hard surface (concrete). I parked on grass and got stuck! I backwash it about twice a year, depending on use.

adamdegraff
12-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I want to hear more about this water filter. We are using a drinking water filter in our coach. Have been for 4 months now. Makes the water taste great. No health problems. But it is ssssslllllooooooowwwwww.....

~Adam

Jon Wehrenberg
12-02-2008, 02:37 PM
FWIW we had one in the original coach, but only two whole house filters in this coach. The product as I understand it is a sand filter that removes sediment any possible other impurities, and needs to be back washed.

For the space it takes up I am glad I do not have one, and do not miss it. What I am contemplating is adding a reverse osmosis system under the kitchen sink. They typically have a pair of high efficiency filters and the RO unit. That would eliminate our need to carry water from home for drinking and cooking. I will never drink water from a holding tank regardless of how or if it has been treated except from an RO system.

The water quality around the country varies from good to chlorine flavored to loaded with minerals to nasty smelling. I have no control over what reaches our holding tank so I can't be sure any filtration system is adequate.

sawdust_128
12-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Tuga:

"Amendments on File
AFFIDAVIT TO DISSOLVE (04/26/2007) "

If it was the same company, The Sec of State search showed they dissolved in 07'. I believe what I found was located at a different address, but that may be because it was the address of the then register agent. I didn't check, but you could probably make an inquiry to the SOS to see if they reformed under another entity. I believe if you check the SOS site, you may be able to search the corporations database using the registered agent's information.

Follow up on Jon's comments. I have a RO system and I am very impressed with it. I have not, and do not plan to run off "city" water systems. I fill the holding tank through the RO and use the stand alone systems to have my water supply. I pass water through what appears to be a standard house water filter and then through the three filters for the RO. No odors, no taste, no cloudiness, nada. Just like water should be. (I'll try to collect the name of this and post it if anyone is interested.)

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-02-2008, 04:08 PM
I wanted any direction on winterizing their products, now I see it doesn't matter that much.

Kinetico makes what I think are the best water treatment products.

Thanks Ed, I mean Dusty

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-02-2008, 05:08 PM
I dug up the phone number of the former owner Sidney Horn of Pure water systems, it is 337 439 4579. He is willing to talk about his old product, even though he liquidated the co and retired to live in his Newell.

The prefilter elements are generic and can be found at the likes of Home Depot and Lowes.

The canister that requires periodic back flushing may be refilled/recharged with charcoal activated with silver granules. You can do that yourself or use a water treatment co such as General Ionics to do it.

JIM

Orren Zook
12-02-2008, 11:46 PM
I wanted any direction on winterizing their products, now I see it doesn't matter that much.

Kinetico makes what I think are the best water treatment products.

Jim,

Isn't the Kinetico factory just down the road from you in Newberry? Maybe they have a mini system suitable for your coach.

flyu2there
12-03-2008, 07:44 AM
FWIW we had one in the original coach, but only two whole house filters in this coach. The product as I understand it is a sand filter that removes sediment any possible other impurities, and needs to be back washed.

For the space it takes up I am glad I do not have one, and do not miss it. What I am contemplating is adding a reverse osmosis system under the kitchen sink. They typically have a pair of high efficiency filters and the RO unit. That would eliminate our need to carry water from home for drinking and cooking. I will never drink water from a holding tank regardless of how or if it has been treated except from an RO system.

The water quality around the country varies from good to chlorine flavored to loaded with minerals to nasty smelling. I have no control over what reaches our holding tank so I can't be sure any filtration system is adequate.

I installed an RO System under the galley sink a couple of years back.......that is the answer! Change the filters every year (3 of the in my case) and you are golden. Just remember, an RO system uses water to make water, by that I mean there is a certain amount of water that will go into your gray water tank whenever the system is pressurized...........I am sure that you can see that an issue could develop under certain circumstances, like the bus being hooked up to water for months at a time and the gray water tank left closed.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
12-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Jim C. I replaced my whole house system filter at PPL in Houston. They had them in stock, but I didn't think to look at Lowes or Home Depot.

Tuga, sent me the information on how to recharge the system, ( run water through the system with the timer for 15 minutes ) and then I replaced the inline filter. Did not see any replaceable charcoal granuales but maybe I misunderstood what you were talking about? Filter Cartridge ?

Now as to the RO System, we for the last 14 years have used one in our homes, and really love it. But I always hated the fact that it uses (wastes) so much water to give me the drinking water. There are home units out there now, that don't waste that much water, a sort of recycling of the recyled water to lessen the waste. Doubt if there is a small less wasteful unit available for the bus, but maybe. It would be worth looking into.

Gary S.

sawdust_128
12-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Maybe I am missing something here. Maybe I don't have a RO system installed. I do not generate any waste water from the RO system. Water goes in through the filter system(s) and into the Fresh Tank. None to grey, none to black.

All this is still pretty new to me so I may be mistaken. The guys at Liberty referred to it as a RO system and from listening to y'all, they're never wrong, right??

I will make a point to look up and post the info on this.

I just love to be learnt about this stuff.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Fly guy has it right. You would know if you have an RO because it is a trio of elements and it has a supply line, a delivery line which is teed with one leg going to an accumulator or expansion tank and the other leg going to a dedicated faucet.

It will have a drain line connected to your drain pipes downstream from a trap.

Some have an electric supply also and in the base of the dedicated faucet is circuitry that measures total disolved solids, and if they exceed some ridiculously low value a light is illuminated to warn you to change the RO element. The other elements are filters for sediment.

The RO delivers water at a relatively slow rate, and the house water system pressure is what is "pushing" the water through the unit. You are actually drawing water from the expansion or accumulator tank when you use the dedicated faucet, and the RO unit then replenishes the tank until the internal tank pressure equals the house water system pressure. That is the only time the RO unit is not working. When it is working it drains waste water into your drain lines.

In our house we use a relatively small RO "package" but we have multiple accumulator tanks so we can pull several gallons of relatively pure water from the system at any time. In the bus there is limited space so the the amount of RO water available is dependent upon the size of accumulator tank(s).

phorner
12-03-2008, 02:03 PM
A Reverse Osmosis (RO) water filtration system requires a discharge to waste.

Essentially, the way it works is to push water under pressure through a membrane, which has been "sized" such that only molecules of "pure" water will get through it, but not any contaminants.

The water that fails to pass through the membrane, along with any contaminants, is sent to waste. At one time, this was about 90% of the total flow, but I'm sure that the newer systems are much more efficient.

GAC filters (granular activated carbon) can be back flushed as can sand filters.

Paper element filters are simply changed out as necessary.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Gary, what I was saying was that my system is functional now and that any cartridges are generic and I am not out of business because the co. was closed.

I was also saying that if there should ever be a need the charcoal canister although proprietary to the closed co. can still be refilled by anyone that has one and wishes to do so.

The bottom line is even if Pure Water Enterprises is out of business their filter is still usable.

JIM

sawdust_128
12-03-2008, 04:09 PM
I think that I figured it out. Let me run this out here and see if it "holds water".

I have a RO system. It is not processing all the water on the coach. If my crawling around was productive. The RO is supplying the built-in coffee pot and a "Insta-hot" faucet at the galley sink. I don't make gallons of coffee on any day. I don't take advantage of the Insta-hot.
<O:p
Thus, minimal processing of water and no discernable amount of brine. Make sense?<O:p

Most of the water is filtered by the remainder of the filters on the coach. So at best, I have filtered-deodorized and maybe softened(?) water.<O:p

Ray Davis
12-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Seems reasonable. Does it also go up to your icemaker?

ray

sawdust_128
12-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Ray:

That would be nice wouldn't it? Oh well, more crawling around.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Ed,

There is no brine with an RO. Just waste water discharge, and it is only functioning when your water system has pressure.

You will see the RO unit as a smaller stand alone set of filter cartridges and almost assuredly will have some accumulator tank that looks like a miniature version of a well pump expansion tank. If it supplies the coffee maker and instant hot it likely supplies the icemaker, and if your refrigerator is angled the resultant space behind it is the likely location of the accumulator tank since it is a passive device.

You can be assured that you have one if the house water pump is turned off, and all system pressure is bled off so no water runs through your faucets. If you get a flow of water from the instant hot you have an accumulator tank and are highly likely to have an RO unit. If no flow it is probable you might just have a real good set of filters for those devices.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Ed, you might want to contact your converter and ask for a pamphlet on how to winterize your coach. Then you wouldn't have to worry about hidden or unfound reservoirs of water.

Liberty is faxing one to me. :p :D

When they found out I didn't use a bra they offered an extra one that had been laying around in the closet, an -A Long- but I passed and they agreed. If you haven't used one up to now don't bother to start.

Then they offered --Shields-- and I passed again, saying why bother there aren't any arms on a bus.:rolleyes:

JIM

phorner
12-04-2008, 08:10 AM
I found the best way to winterize ours is to keep it below I-4 from the first of November to the middle of April :D

flyu2there
12-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Here we go again with the bra and shields thing................:D

Seems to me that the signature should say,

No Bra, No Plastic Shield--Lotsa dents and scratches...a manly thing!! :cool:

sawdust_128
12-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Jon: We are talking about the same thing. I was researching this yesterday and spoke with several RO suppliers. "Brine" is the term in the RO industry. Apparently they make the distinction to avoid confusion as the waste water is not just water, as you know. It includes all the biologicals, particulates, gasses and some chemicals and everything else that is filtered by the RO. Thus, they call it a brine.

I was just trying to be technically correct. There is usually ample thread creep without my adding to it.

I agree with the statement "it is only functioning when your water system has pressure" however, I don't believe that there will be any functioning/processing unless there is demand and consumption from the holding resevoir. As I stated, RO supplies Insta-hot and coffee maker, thus very low demand and only minimal processing because I don't use them that much. I like Ray's thinking about the ice maker. If that isn't the way it is I probably will make that change.

CONFESSION: Currrently I am practicing a modification of the PHORNER WINTERIZATION PLAN (PWP). If the temperature is going -32, I get in the bus and go south to +32. This method is now officially known as the -32+32 Tactical Implementation of the PWP. I know, that's no plan at all, SHUSH. However, it sounds official and technical enough, that when I mention it to the wife she agrees that it's time to go somewhere in the bus. SO wink-wink, nudge-nudge, you know what I mean? Everybody hush up now else I will call you out for peeing in my corn flakes.

So Jim, I want to ask Featherlite for what? Why?