PDA

View Full Version : Brakes on a toad

jelmore
11-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Having read this thread http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=2144 about an air brake system for a toad, I'm having second thoughts about replacing our car. We tow a 2001 Jeep Cherokee without a brake system and as far as I can tell haven't had any problems. This car is only about 3000 lbs, but a new car will probably be 4000+ pounds. I'm sure we wouldn't go much heavier than that.

Does everyone else use a braking system? Does this bus have enough designed braking power to handle the load without a braking system? I know that some states require it.

I've read preferences for both of the air systems, M&G and AFO. (Are there others?) I really don't want to carry around a box that pushes on a brake pedal, so I've avoided it. And I really don't want parts falling off that I have to repair.

Am I in (potential) trouble for not having a system?

Curious what those with more experience do.

Loc
11-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Jim,

We towed a Jeep Wrangler for years with no brake system. It weighed approximately 3,500 lbs and we never had any issues. We now tow a Chevy Tahoe which weighs 5,000 lbs. We put an M&G brake on it because I didn't want to do anything inside the vehicle to tow it. The system has worked flawlessly for the 3 years we have had it. I really can't tell any difference in braking with the Tahoe versus the Jeep. I do like knowing that some attorney isn't going to take me to the cleaners because I didn't have a brake in the tow vehicle. Most states require brakes for a trailer or tow vehilce over a certain weight in Texas its 3,500 lbs if I remember correctly. I also recall (possibly incorrectly) that the brake requirements must be met for each state (not reciprocal like with driver's licenses).

Loc

dreamchasers
11-30-2008, 07:22 PM
I am sure you will get plenty of responses on this question. So I will throw mine into the mix.

I use a US Gear product. The main reason I choose the unit is because I did not need to mount or dis-mount anything when getting ready to go. It is electrically operated and is proportional acting (sensitivy adjusting) with a device in the coach that measures the intensity of the vehicle's decelerating. A braking solenoid is mounted under the seat, with a routed cable attached to the brake pedal. A vacuum pump is mounted in the engine compartment of the vehicle being towed (power brakes). And a sensor/activator in mounted in the coach accessible to the driver. Click here to check it out.

http://www.usgear.cc/unified_tow_brake.htm

I have been very satisfied with the unit and have used it for four years, trouble free.

Good Luck!

Hector

Joe Cannarozzi
11-30-2008, 07:37 PM
We pull a full size 1/2 ton 2WD Ram without any brakes for the toad.

However we have an older 40ftr and with the PU in tow gross out at only 49000.

I also have Debbie jabbing me with a sharp stick anytime I get close to 70.

tdelorme
11-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Jim,

We towed a Jeep Wrangler for years with no brake system. It weighed approximately 3,500 lbs and we never had any issues. We now tow a Chevy Tahoe which weighs 5,000 lbs. We put an M&G brake on it because I didn't want to do anything inside the vehicle to tow it. The system has worked flawlessly for the 3 years we have had it. I really can't tell any difference in braking with the Tahoe versus the Jeep. I do like knowing that some attorney isn't going to take me to the cleaners because I didn't have a brake in the tow vehicle. Most states require brakes for a trailer or tow vehilce over a certain weight in Texas its 3,500 lbs if I remember correctly. I also recall (possibly incorrectly) that the brake requirements must be met for each state (not reciprocal like with driver's licenses).

Loc

LOC, you never need to worry if you get arrested for no brakes on anything you tow. I promise, if you get thrown in jail, we are gonna Bail you Out !! :D:D

phorner
12-01-2008, 08:49 AM
It always amazes me that some state official will deem a car towed behind a coach a "trailer" and determine that a braking system is required, yet a tow truck can drag the same car across the country without being required to install a braking system.

Seems this is at the least a double standard and defies logic. If it's a "trailer" behind my coach, why isn't it behind a tow truck?

That being said, I use the Air Force One braking system from SMI. Other than some early installation issues, which the company resolved, I'm quite happy with it.

Personally, I feel that the break away feature is the most important, as the worst possible scenario in my mind would be for the towed vehicle to become completely detached from the coach. In that very unlikely event, I have at least provided a braking system to the now runaway Jeep.

ajducote
12-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Getting up on my soap box:

Forget the law, the attorneys, the police, get a toad brake system if for no other reason for the breakaway feature.

REASON WHY...
Many years ago I responded to an accident where a trailer became detached from a pickup truck, crossed into on oncoming traffic, crushed a volkswagen and killed the driver.

I do not want to ever have my toad come loose and not have a breakaway feature to stop it. It may not stop it in time to prevent an accident, but at least I will know I did everything I could to prevent the accident. I also check my tow bar connections at EVERY stop I make, when I check the tires.

OFF SOAP BOX NOW.

Toads DO come disconnected. Think about how you would feel if it hurt or killed someone. Sorry to be so blunt, but I have seen what happens, you never forget a thing like that.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
12-01-2008, 03:18 PM
I too had the SMI "Air Force One" put on my Hummer. I did not want to have the Hummer come loose from the bus and go faster down the freeway than I was, so I thought the Break-Away was a great idea.

It was a 3 day adventure, getting the brake put on, and had some consequences after the install to say the least, but they all got worked out, and now I am a happy camper again. :)

Very Happy in knowing both of my vehicles have brakes now.

Gary S.

I just wish they would finish up with the work @ Ft Worth Prevost, so I can bring her home again... I miss her terribly ! :(

Jon Wehrenberg
12-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Hey there Tex, if you miss her so much why are you contemplating another few weeks apart getting the dings in the front eliminated?

When you get it back just go out and drive it. Enjoy. You can't see the chips and dings from your seat anyway.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
12-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey there Tex, if you miss her so much why are you contemplating another few weeks apart getting the dings in the front eliminated? When you get it back just go out and drive it. Enjoy. You can't see the chips and dings from your seat anyway.

Truer words were never spoken, Jon. :confused:

I just figured since it was away from me, and somewhere it could get good work done, now would be the time to do it?

Prevost said the slide room was all done and had been repaired,( new roof, new additional supports, repainted roof) but they wanted to know if I wanted them to upgrade the slide pins too since it was torn apart and now would be the best time to do it? I said sure go ahead and update the slide pins too. The pins are coming in from Canada, this week. I didn't get into specifics on what was wrong with the other pins, but they just weren't the current pins so they needed to be updated ??? No what I mean?

Our next trip is over the Xmas Holiday to Phoenix, so hopefully it will be ready by then? :)

Gary S.