PDA

View Full Version : Power Outage on Passenger Side

Jamie Bradford
11-30-2008, 06:43 PM
In my quest today to address my Dash Crash ( there is a loose wire which I will address Monday with Country Coach) I ran into another issue......:mad:

After putting the loose wire back where I thought it went?? I turned the ing switch --- The dash problem did not correct itself-- But about 20 seconds later I got a " Reversed Polarity " message from the warning system. This bus has been plugged into the same pole for 3 weeks. Never an issue.

So.... I went and unplugged power ---- reset everything and plugged back in-- All was ok....... Except 1 breaker will not work--- It is in the 3rd bay passenger side - it controls the TV- Stereo & pass side a/c outlets. Is it possible that just this breaker is bad?? All was working fine earlier in the day?
I also noticed this weekend that the inverters were lasting about 30 minutes before I got a "E2" error?

I am going to get my electrician to come over Monday & look at these issues - Any suggestions or direction would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie

Joe Cannarozzi
11-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Sounds like a coincidence, 2 unrelated issues. One is dc the other is ac.

12-01-2008, 06:43 AM
Here is a link to the original country Coach facility in Oregon. They may be able to help.

http://www.oregonmotorcoachcenter.com/

The bus is at Oregon Motorcoach Center in Eugene, OR. Bob Lee, the founder of Country Coach, started this company to renovate older coaches after he sold his controlling interest in Country Coach.

We have been throughly impressed with the quality and service here. The facility is immaculately clean. Many of the guys worked originally for Country Coach. The facility is located in the original building where they built the Prevost conversions.

The workmanship and innovation is outstanding. I have been impressed with their ability and willingness to give us several alternatives with different prices to fit our budget.

JIM KELLER
12-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Jamie, Hopefully you removed the wire from where you thought it went. Check for tripped ground fault outlets, usually on each side of the bed down low near the floor. Denny makes a very valid point in his observation. Especially if you are getting error codes on your Invertor panel.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-01-2008, 07:09 AM
I have found when chasing gremlins that you have to begin at the power source with a multi-tester and start verifying everything is OK.

Jim's advice about a tripped GFCI is a very good suggestion.

What you have to keep in mind is that you cannot mix 120 or 240 VAC systems in your mind with 12 or 24 VDC systems. Generally the two never come together in the coach except internally to the inverters. There may be low voltage signal circuits switching 120 VAC power, but I surmise even that is rarely done except for controls like air conditioner controls (thermostats).

Placing a loose wire where you think it goes is a recipe for disaster unless you have 100% confidence you are correct.

JIM KELLER
12-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Jamie, One thing I have learned is you can trust the "bitch in the box." Anytime she comes on and gives you a warning you can bet there is a problem although you are probably hearing a man's voice at this point due to the severity of the problem. Tell us what the E2 code means on your Inverter panel. If it indicates an overcharge situation shut down your Inverters untill you diagnose the problem.

truk4u
12-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Jamie,

Check the Surgeguard in the same bay as the breakers, it's mounted on the aft wall of the bay. Use the manual to determine if it needs reset, it may have killed one of the AC legs. This is assuming the ground fault is not tripped as as Jim suggested.

What does the inverter manual say about the E2 code?

Jamie Bradford
12-01-2008, 09:28 AM
:)There was a GFI tripped - That corrected the problem!!

Thanks!!!

The e2 error I get on the Link 2000 is:" Inverter low DC battery voltage shut down"

The bus is plugged in - the Link says it is charging - and the light goes to float???

I have news on my " Dash Crash " also -- but I will post it on that thred --

Thanks Again

Jamie:)

JIM KELLER
12-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Hey Jamie, Is this Forum GREAT or What ! !

Jon Wehrenberg
12-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Jamie,

Your inverter owner's manual can offer advice on some diagnostics, but there is no substitute for verifying.

If the inverter is telling you low DC voltage the first thing to do is confirm that. Check your house batteries to see what the voltage is at the battery posts.

If it is low the warning is valid and you need to find out why 2 inverters are failing to function as chargers. If it is not correct then you need to find out if there is a problem with a specific inverter or if resetting it can correct the problem.

As I recall CC has a unique way of connecting inverters to the batteries through a fused arrangement Dale F. can guide you in checking that out.

dale farley
12-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Jamie,

These are the fuses Jon is referring to. Two 300 amp fuses between the inverters and the batteries. I had one that was blown in my bus. If you need to check continuity on them, you will have to remove all three nuts that hold them to get an accurate reading. The pictures shows two nuts removed, but the center one also has to be removed. On my bus, these are located behind the black panel between the two inverters.

truk4u
12-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Jamie,

You had this 12V low voltage problem before, when you didn't have shore power and the inverters shut down as designed. Sounds like the same thing happened, even though you now have shore power, but possibly with some polarity issues.

When you got the power back on, the Links should have shown bulk charge and then when they switch to absorbtion, they should run about 3 hrs before going to float. The bus always took 2 1/2 to 3 hrs to come back up to float. You may have to do some sort of reset with the inverters if they're jumping immediately to float. Follow Jon's advise and put a meter on the house batteries to verify voltage.

Call me if you need me...

Jamie Bradford
12-01-2008, 02:18 PM
I have someone coming down Wednesday am to assist me with this.:confused:

I appreciate everyone's input .

I will let you know how the issue proceeds.

Jamie