PDA

View Full Version : Our biggest drive. Any suggestions?

adamdegraff
11-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Hey Folks,
we are in St. Johns, AZ today. Tonight, we start out on what is our most difficult trip of our tour. We need to be in Powell, WY for a sound check at noon on Sunday. This means that we need to travel roughly 1300 miles tonight (Friday) starting at 10PM, all day tomorrow, and Sunday morning. Certainly not impossible with two drivers... but no picnic.

We have been keeping an eye on the weather. And it looks like we have clear skies ahead. If any of you folks see or hear otherwise, and don't mind dropping me an email or giving me a call, I would really appreciate it. 304-667-4501 or adamdegraff@yahoo.com

Also, I'm looking for good and quick on/off stops along the way. Fuel, rest stops, etc. A place for me and my family to get out for a few minutes and walk around... but not one of those black holes that sucks you in.

Our planned route is I-40 to Albuquerque, I-25 north to northern Wyoming, and then we cut over... um somewhere. Will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Incidentally, the show was supposed to be in Cody, but then got moved last minute to, what seems to be the smallest towns in Wyoming:-)

Thanks for any help.

Best,

Adam

mike kerley
11-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Adam, No help on the route, but if it makes you feel any better, there are no "big towns" in Wyoming. 500,000 people in the entire state. When we lived there, Karen would get excited just seeing a mall (three or four stores clustered together).

This time of the year, I'd get in and get out or you may be spending the winter! Lots of antelope!

Have a safe trip and we hope to catch you next time your in Florida.

Loc
11-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Wow Adam, there really is no easy route to get there. You might consider taking US 191 all the way north to just south of Provo, UT. We have driven the bus down this route before and while it is two lane road it is not bad. There are a couple of hills between Price and Provo, but nothing bad. From Salt Lake take I-80 east to US 191 again and head north to Farson and then over to Riverton and up. The only problem is that the roads in Wyoming this time of year can be brutal.

For better roads and likely better clearing of roads in the event of bad weather take I-40 to I-25 and cut over on US 20 at Casper. It is a better drive than coming over on I-80 to US 287. I wouldnt go farther north than Casper to cut over because the mountains are tough. The drive across on US 20 is a non-event. We did it this summer and it has no hills.

Start early and check the weather often. Wyoming is famous for closing the roads in bad weather.

Kenneth Brewer
11-21-2008, 04:45 PM
"For better roads and likely better clearing of roads in the event of bad weather take I-40 to I-25 and cut over on US 20 at Casper. It is a better drive than coming over on I-80 to US 287. I wouldnt go farther north than Casper to cut over because the mountains are tough. The drive across on US 20 is a non-event. We did it this summer and it has no hills.

Start early and check the weather often. Wyoming is famous for closing the roads in bad weather."

I drove for years from SLC to Kemmerer/Diamondville, Green River/Rock Springs, and from Pocatello, Idaho to those locations. I concur with Loc fully. If you decide to use I-80, and they happen to close it at that end of Wyoming, you wouldn't want to continue from that point on any of the other roads you might think (or have suggested to you) available.