PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Test Strips

dale farley
11-16-2008, 05:54 PM
While at the Mobile Rally, I purchased some test strips and coolant additive for my cooling system. The Detroit Diesel shop ordered the test strips since they had none in stock. We checked my bus, Roger's and Jim Keller's, and all seemed to be off the scale.

In case anyone doesn't know what the test strips are supposed to do; they give a visual reading on 1) percent of glycol, 2) level of Power cool additive, and 3) ppm of Nitrite. If out of whack, you add Power Cool additive to bring things back in balance.

I called the DD shop and they checked a couple other bottles they had ordered, and none of them gave correct readings. The shop supervisor said he would call the manufacturer and get back with me.

After several days, he said the mfg determined that all the strips they had been shipping were chemically expired even though, not out of date according to the date stamped on the bottle. The ones I had purchased were dated March 09.

To make a long story a little less long, I returned the strips, and they sent me a bottle dated Feb 2010. I checked my coolant and found it to be just a little out of balance. I should be able to add a pint of the additive and bring things to where they should be.

The moral of this story is that, before we add Power Cool, we need to make sure the test strips we are using are not chemically expired even though the date on the bottle says differently. Fortunately, I knew my coolant mixture should have been relatively close, so I hadn't added more based on the initial test using the bad strips.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
11-17-2008, 12:57 AM
So now I have a question ?

What are the paramiters you check to see if you need to change out the coolant? Can you just use the strips, and if they read + / - to the correct temps. is that all you need to be concerned about?

I believe my bus had good service during its previous 92K miles prior to when I got it, but could not find where the coolant had been changed. When I got the bus, 10K miles ago, the coolant was checked and everything was in order at that time, at least according to Cardinal Bus who serviced it prior to me picking it up.

I don't want to spend $400 on new coolant if it isn't needed, but will if it is NEEDED. HOW DO I KNOW FOR SURE ?

Gary S.

jonnie
11-17-2008, 07:15 AM
I believe somewhere in the instructions it should state that if one of the test cells is a certain color when removed form the package, the strips are bad.

dale farley
11-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Gary,

The strips tell you the % of Glycol you have, so you will know what level of coverage exists. Mine says 50% (which is normal) and should protect to 130 degrees.

The additive indicator shows if you have Power Cool in the system. Power Cool is really what the strips are compatible with.

You compare the color of the Nitrite chart to determine your level of Nitrite and increase the additive level according to the chart. Mine says add 1 pint for 20 gal of coolant.

As stated on the bottle, these strips are not compatible with organic Extended Life Coolants.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
John,

I don't see anything on the bottle that mentions what you said about them being expired. I may have missed that somewhere, but DD didn't mention it either.