PDA

View Full Version : PilotsNPaws progress report

Jon Wehrenberg
11-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Because of the generosity of POG at the Sevierville charity auction www.pilotsnpaws.net continues to gain traction. We have a new web site and we are getting more pilots almost every day. Debi has the latest count, but I believe the number is now in excess of 80.

The number of rescue flights continues to rise.

We have had a lot of publicity that we continue to seek so we can reach pilots across the country. I believe it is safe to say we will not be satisfied until we have enough pilots to answer every request for an animal rescue flight.

We are in the process of incorporating and will immediately apply for 501c3 status so pilots who contribute their time and aircraft can count their rescue flights as charitable donations for tax purposes.

We have a board of directors now selected and will soon begin employing the board to direct future activities of PNP. We are planning to have a PNP booth at the Sun and Fun Fly-in in Lakeland FL in April, Oshkosh in July, and the AOPA convention in Tampa in November to reach out to pilots at the three biggest pilot gatherings.

Thank you for your contributions. It is going to continue to be a lot of effort to accomplish our objectives, but your seed money is playing a large part in our progress. I hope Deb will add comments also.

phorner
11-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Great post, Jon.

With all the "bad" news that we get bombarded with every day, it's easy to forget that diligent folks are out there doing good deeds.

Sure glad to hear that positive things are happening :)

POG members can be proud of the support we provide to this very worthy cause.

rmboies
11-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Thank you for your contributions. It is going to continue to be a lot of effort to accomplish our objectives, but your seed money is playing a large part in our progress. I hope Deb will add comments also.

I echo Jon's words....Pilots N Paws has grown tremendously and a big part of that growth has been made due to the generous hearts of POG members...We have 86 pilots across the U.S. as of now....we still need more, particularly in the southern states where the need is the greatest and the number of pilots is the smallest! So POGGERS, pat yourselves on the back, you have truly contributed to a program that is making a difference in the lives of innocent animals. We even have a pilot transporting a boa constrictor--yikes!

The stories on our website, www.pilotsnpaws.org ,( click on the Photo Gallery), are worth reading to see just what it is you all are helping to form. As Jon said, we are taking a huge step forward in becoming a 501c3 and are doing this as a means to give back to the pilots who so generously give to those of us in rescue. We may not have Corona Kelly, but we have some great looking "girl" pilots so there Mango--LOL To date, we have transported somewhere in the neighborhood of 145 animals since Feb.

We have plans to attend the fly-ins/conventions Jon mentioned and will need help manning the booths should any of you be attending. Just let us know as the time gets closer! We are also getting quite a bit of media coverage with a national article coming out this month.....Jon and I will let you know when that is published. It is very exciting because we know it will reach farther then we have ever been able to with all our networking!!

POG RULES and thank you each and every one.

Debi

Jon Wehrenberg
11-15-2008, 09:19 AM
I forgot to mention the pups shown in the first picture were all about to be euthanized and they went from Chattanooga to Fort Wayne. There were five on that flight.

On the flight below, there were also 5 pups, and they all were transported from Knoxville to Greensboro, NC. The rescue coordinator had tried for at least two weeks to get them to the rescue in NC by way of ground transport, but was unsuccessful. These pups were also about to be euthanized.

truk4u
11-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Deb,

Nancy will help you with the booths, just keep her posted on the dates and places. Right now she's out of service with an ankle broken in two places, surgery will be next week. She say's there no way she is missing the Key's in January.;) Her e-mail is mstruk4u@windstream.net.

rmboies
11-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Deb,
Nancy will help you with the booths, just keep her posted on the dates and places. Right now she's out of service with an ankle broken in two places, surgery will be next week. She say's there no way she is missing the Key's in January.;) Her e-mail is mstruk4u@windstream.net.

OMG, what did she do Tom??? I know she wasn't rollerblading? She certainly wasn't jealous of Bob being on crutches! I hope all goes well and she heals quickly........hugs Nanc!!

Debi

Journeyone144
11-16-2008, 07:23 AM
Jon,
If you need more places to take rescues I could ask the surrounding Shelters in my area..I'd like to be of any help I could...

We do have Allaire Airport in Wall Township, NJ.. not 5 miles from me..and I could transport from the airport to a Shelter...
Hugs Always Viv..

I forgot to mention the pups shown in the first picture were all about to be euthanized and they went from Chattanooga to Fort Wayne. There were five on that flight.

On the flight below, there were also 5 pups, and they all were transported from Knoxville to Greensboro, NC. The rescue coordinator had tried for at least two weeks to get them to the rescue in NC by way of ground transport, but was unsuccessful. These pups were also about to be euthanized.

Jerry Winchester
11-16-2008, 10:00 AM
I have a flying dog question for the brain trust.

I recently bought a set of "Mutt Muffs" for our Jack Russell to wear in the plane. While I think they are sized right, they seem to slip during flight and require frequent repositioning.

I see in the photo that one of the dogs is wearing a pair of them, so maybe you have some experience in fitting them or making them stay in place?

Joe Cannarozzi
11-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Is there a flyer or something we could download or copy that we could take to our vet and local airport to put on the bulletin board?

Jon Wehrenberg
11-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Joe, got to www.pilotsnpaws.org where you will find a poster that can be printed and distributed.

Jerry, go to the same site. Look up a gal the name of Michelle....she is one of the gals above. Her company makes and sells the muffs. You can get her contact info there.

rmboies
11-16-2008, 09:01 PM
I recently bought a set of "Mutt Muffs" for our Jack Russell to wear in the plane. While I think they are sized right, they seem to slip during flight and require frequent repositioning.I see in the photo that one of the dogs is wearing a pair of them, so maybe you have some experience in fitting them or making them stay in place?

Jerry, email Michelle, Mutt Muffs is her company. She has flown serveral rescue flights for Pilots-N-Paws and she in the photo I sent, she is the gal on the left....this flight were all pups from a puppymill in Ohio and every one of them pups had Mutt Muffs on :-) Here is her email address:

shelly@safeandsoundpets.com

I am sure she would be happy to advise you. It likely has to do with tightening one strap more then the other...just guessing though!

Debi

truk4u
11-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Deb,

I doubt they make Mutt Muffs big enough to fit on Jdub's gourd?:p

Jamie Bradford
11-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Jon - That is FANTASTIC!! If I can help in any way down here please let me know...

Jamie

Jerry Winchester
11-17-2008, 10:36 AM
TrukMan......