PDA

View Full Version : No Leans - 18 Days and Counting

Jerry Winchester
06-28-2006, 10:39 PM
How do you explain this.

Before I left for the 16 day, 4300 mile odyssey, our coach would lean after you parked it faster than a fat kid leaves a dodge ball game. Well maybe not quite that fast.

I pull it into the hanger and it sits for two weeks; steady as a rock. I move it to fuel and wash it and park it in the same spot and nary a list or tilt for 4 days. And no, the air bags are not dumped and sitting on bottom.

Working on this coach is like trying to out guess a random number generator. I hate things that fix themselves for no apparent reason........

MangoMike
06-28-2006, 10:46 PM
DJUB,
What was the temperature before you left on the Odysse?

I had some lean problems last winter, but as soon as the temps reached 65 or so absolutely no problems.

MM

Jerry Winchester
06-28-2006, 11:35 PM
96. But it was a dry kinda heat..........

It might be temperature related. I wouldn't mind it leaning if the temperature would get back under 80 :D

Jon Wehrenberg
06-29-2006, 08:28 AM
In a system with the valves working as intended, cold temperatures will allow air leaks past the spool, and thus the coach leans. That is a normal early warning that you will get to know the Norgren valves up close and personal in the not too distant future.

But as Ed's recent experience shows the system can also have a failure that makes the bus act strangely. In Ed's case the pneumatic actuators were not functioning properly. If some problem such as that occurred one of the spool valves could fail to open or close normally and could create a condition like Jerry had. With continued use however the valves could free up and begin working normally again. One of the best things that can be down with the leveling system is to exercise it regularly because as the valves sit in one place they could be reluctant to move when necessary.

Ed mentioned moisture in the system and since Jerry mentioned seeing oil in his air system it is likley his air dryer is failing, allowing moisture in the leveling system, and at that point serious future problems can be expected if not addressed. The inside of the Norgrens are aluminum. As long as they are dry and no corrosion occurs they will seal if the spool O rings are in good shape, but once they start getting corroded there will be minute leaks everywhere.

At the risk of sounding like a preacher, there is no end to the things that can happen to these buses if any part of the coach is not maintained. It is like dominos. Jerry will be chasing problems from the pervious owner's sins until he can catch up and get ahead of it.