PDA

View Full Version : Massive Fire

garyde
11-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Well, we're in it again. Another huge Fire in Santa Barbara, looks like 40 to 60 homes burned to the ground so far tonight. In less than 3 hours. My brother in law may have lost his home, we'll know in the morning. Most homes in the millions of dollars up in smoke. The price you pay to live in paradise I guess.
Its called 'The Tea Fire' after an old estate where it started.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
11-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Gary De, sorry to hear you may be in trouble again in Paradise.

I hope your wrong about your brother in laws home being destroyed ?

Good Luck to you.

Gary S.

Sid Tuls
11-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Hey Gary will keep your family in our prayers tonite pray that no harm come to the people invoved !!!!!

merle&louise
11-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Gary we feel for you and your neighbors. Hope everything turns out o.k.

Jump in that Liberty and hi-tail it out of there if the fires get close. Don't take a chance. We'll be praying for you.

Ray Davis
11-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Gary,

Was watching the news this morning, and was concerned about you. Was going to email, when I saw your post here.

We hope that you are out of the line of this fire. I know we're scheduled for high winds today, which is a big concern.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you ...

Ray

garyde
11-14-2008, 10:47 PM
If you have never been thru a fire storm, it is hard to describe the carnage. The winds were up to 70 MPH last night, the flames were 40 feet high and spreading ambers everywhere. Over a hundred and possibly many more homes lost . All in about 3 to four hours. My brother in law lost a guest house and part of the main house. Several clients and freinds were wiped out. All you can do is watch as these homes catch fire and burn to the ground. Our home is about 2 miles north west of the burn area. This one is bad.
Third large fire in two years. It looks like the winds have died down. Thats a good thing.

Joe Cannarozzi
11-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Is your house wood frame or masonry and does it matter if everyone around you is burning?

garyde
11-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi Joe. My home is built to current fire codes since I live in a Fire Zone. Meaning tile roof, masonary and stucco walls. Thickened eves with minimum overhang, and dual glazed windows.
However, when the heat and fire becomes extremely high , even these homes blow up from the inside due to heat and convection. Kind of like a potatoe in a microwave.

rmboies
11-15-2008, 09:16 AM
[QUOTE=garyde;38022]Hi Joe. My home is built to current fire codes since I live in a Fire Zone. Meaning tile roof, masonary and stucco walls.

Gary, we can just not imagine what this is like....we are fortunate here that if/when we do have any fires they are normally quickly contained and usually they are up in the mountains. With our severe drought this past year, we were concerned everytime we saw a fire outbreak on the news. Even with the drought, we are much "greener" here so that likely saves us. Keeping you and your family in our prayers.......stay safe!!

Debi and Bob-05

MangoMike
11-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Gary,

Thinking of you.

Hope you dodge the bullet. Life can be tough enough without having to worry about hell fires.

Good luck.

Mike

rfoster
11-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Gary: Sorry to hear about the fires around you. Micki and I will be praying for you and your family.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
11-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Gary,
Ed and I certainly have been thinking about you all. Our prayers have been with you and hope that you stay safe. Keep us all informed and if we can help in any way, please let us all know.
Sandy

lewpopp
11-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Hey Mango, take the McCain sticker off of your bumper.

garyde
11-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your responses. The Fires have been 40% contained in our area this afternoon and the humidity level is up and the wind down, all great signs.

MangoMike
11-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Lew,

I'll be changing it to this.

mm

blacklab
11-16-2008, 11:33 AM
My son is a student at Westmont College which sustained major damage due to the fire. Jami just finished tennis practice and noticed the smoke. Of course he had to check it out and went up the hill from his dorm about 100 yards and called me from his cell. He said the ambers were flying over his head and he was really scared and ran back down.The staff directed everyone to the gymnasium, where everyone stayed the night. His dorm building burnt to the ground. He left campus Friday and is staying with his tennis buddies in LA. Thank god that everyone is accounted for. The campus "may" resume classes on Wednesday

Ray Davis
11-17-2008, 11:24 AM
It's certainly good to hear that your son was unharmed during the fire. Luckily it seems like the weather is finally cooperating a bit, and things are getting back under control.

We've also had 2-3 fires in the south Orange county area, which have closed down freeways in almost all directions. Pam and Lloyd are probably smelling a ton of smoke, camping out in the Disneyland area.

Today looks bright and clear. Hopefully the winds stay down.

Ray

garyde
11-17-2008, 11:32 PM
The Fires as of today are 80% contained. It's cooling down so I hope its over. Over 210 homes lost or damaged, I'm not sure if they have it all figured out yet. The epicenter of the fire looks like the moon. The paper said today it was Human caused. No one stepped forward yet.
Several people with severe burns and one death. I've lived here since the early sixtys and have never seen so many fires in just a short period of time, 2 major fires this year, and one huge fire last year. Hopefully we'll catch a break for a few years.

Joe Cannarozzi
11-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Gary when was your house built and how do you think they have improved current construction if any?

Those homes near you that burned, when were they constructed?

MangoMike
11-18-2008, 09:29 AM

The Boston Globe has a website called the Big Picture, which displays some truly incredible high resolution photos.

They are featuring a section on the California fires.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/11/california_wildfires_yet_again.html

garyde
11-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Gary when was your house built and how do you think they have improved current construction if any?

Those homes near you that burned, when were they constructed?

The construction of Homes in Santa Barbara are varied in style, age, and construction materials. The Fire did not discriminate.
My home was remodeled about 4 years ago, Spanish Mediterranean more or less. Most Construction now in this area consists of Stucco finishes, and Tile Roofs. Construction design will depend upon Zoning and set back requirements primarily. Not much has changed over the years except for more seismic requirements and more cost.
The Fire is out. It was determined a bonfire by a group of students a night earlier was not properly extinguished and flared up with the winds on thursday. These kids will face charges and responsibility for hundreds of millions in damage and loss. As well as knowing they have obliterated homeowners heirlooms, albums, and other irreplaceable property.