PDA

View Full Version : Calibrated Air Gauge

11-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I have 2 high quality air gauges, the big silver stainless ones you get a truck stops. My problem is that each gauge provides a different reading, as much as 5 lbs difference between the two.

My question: Is there a factory Calibrated Air Gauge that one can purchase that has been tested and adjusted to be accurate?

dale farley
11-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Bruce, I think they must be like tire air gages. I've bought three "good" tire gages, and they all read different.

rfoster
11-12-2008, 10:47 PM
I have purchased a total of five in the last 4 years. One Milton brand that cost about 34 lewbucks (hard to read). I still dont know which one is right. I purchased one recently from Lowes -a Kobalt brand, looked good in the package, the first time I used it 10 pounds more than any of the others. Too far out of the norm.

If anybody runs up on a good one they know is consistently accurate -please post it on the forum, I think they would sell at least one.

ronwalker
11-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Bruce, the folks who weigh RV's at rallys, RV Safety & Education Foundation (out-of-date schedule of where they'll be is at http://www.rvsafety.com/custompage7509.html?pg=weighing), claim the gauge they use is certified accurate and readily offer to let you compare yours to theirs. 'Seems like a good local tire shop would probably do the same.

Joe Cannarozzi
11-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Compare them off of someones reading with a wireless tire sensor.

11-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks Ron, I will make contact and let everyone know my findings.

11-13-2008, 12:03 PM
I have found a Digital Tire Gauge that claims to be accurate by +/- .3 LBS. If so this is accurate enough for me. See Link:

http://www.gemplers.com/product/127627/Professional-grade-Digital-Pressure-Gauge

Will Garner
11-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Bruce,

I like you made an early owner purchase of a Milton tire gauge. I did it while at Holiday Tours shop in Randleman, NC - home of the Petty Clan. I immediately began reading tire pressures, as the sales truck drove out the gate. I found that the readings were either on the money or 10 lbs. off. I checked the gauge and found that the two psi scales were marked off by 10 lbs one from the other. I compared Holiday's "master gauge" against mine and crossed out the off side using permenant black marker. No problems since then.

Go figure where "Quality Control" has gone today.

merle&louise
11-13-2008, 10:15 PM
I wonder how accurate the Smart Tire system is? I read the owner's manual but can not find any info on its accuracy. Maybe Ray or others who have Smart Tire can chime in.

I have checked the Smart Tire system with my air gauge and it is within 1#:D

My air guage is a standard truck guage that is found in most truck stops. Sorry I don't have the name now.

Ray Davis
11-14-2008, 11:16 AM
According to the Smartire manual, the accuracy varies between their high pressure sensor (used on our coaches), or the low pressure sensor (used on towed vehicles).

The high pressure sensor is listed as being accurate to +/- 4.35 PSI
The low pressure sensor is listed as being accurate to +/- 1.5 PSI

Next time I have the chance, I'll check the pressures against my two air guages, and see what I find.

Ray

ps: In thinking about it, I would venture that more important that absolute accuracy is the ability to know of a change in pressure, i.e. a leak, so that something can be done. If you think about it, truckers (sometimes) thump their tires with a mallet, listening for sound. Obviously, not accurate within several pounds, but let's them know about a potential problem. In like way, the Smartire allows you to monitor constantly, and to be alerted to changes in pressure, which can indicate a problem.

mikedee
11-14-2008, 05:23 PM
I got so feed up with bad gauges I ordered a racing gauge from Longacre lots of Lewbucks but high quality.

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=1392&catid=8

I have purchase several gauges at truck stops and they all read 5 -10 lbs different. I was using one gauge last month and it seemed like I was l losing air more than I should. I keep adding air, adding air until my air doubler one day sounded different. I got the air up to 117 psi in the fronts and headed to Vegas. In Vegas I checked the air and it was down to about 110 psi. My friend at ODR gave me a gauge and it read 145 psi fronts, 125 duals and 130 tag. I went to the TA and got a gauge that confirmed the other gauges reading.

On investigation I found all my gauges we contaminated with the evil Equal powder causing air to leak past the piston in the gauge producing low readings. Cleaned all three gauges and they all work within 5 psi.

Joe Cannarozzi
11-14-2008, 06:23 PM
The EVIL POWDER I love it:eek: