PDA

View Full Version : Planting a seed for humanity

lloyd&pamela
11-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Hi all,

I want to plant a seed - a possible and worthy charitable focus for future rallies. The belated notion follows a dinner, some time ago, when we were inspired by a fellow POG member who cares very much about Habitat for Humanity. That would be Miles. :)

So. I propose a POG Habitat for Humanity project to take place pre-rally, mid-rally and/or post-rally. As I understand it we could choose from a range of programs and levels of involvement, but our resident expert(s) can shed some light on those matters.

Cheers,

Pamela

dalej
11-11-2008, 09:40 PM
We are in! Let us know as soon as a date is planned.

sawdust_128
11-12-2008, 02:24 AM
I'll be watching for details.

merle&louise
11-12-2008, 08:05 AM
We would like to help. Keep us posted.

Ray Davis
11-12-2008, 11:51 AM
It would be worth talking to Ken Zittrer (Bluevost) about this. Ken and Janet have done several Habitat Projects utilizing their bus. I believe (Ken can confirm) that there is an organized group of RV owners associated with HfH.

During our trip out to POG3 (I think) we stopped one evening in Las Cruces, where Ken showed us a housing project he and Janet had worked on earlier in the year.

Ray

lloyd&pamela
12-04-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure how this works.

Who chooses/authorizes the focus charity for a POG rally?

Thanks for the comments so far.

Cheers!

Pamela

mcirco
12-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Hi Lloyd

If the group wants to do something with Habitat for Humanity, I am sure something could be set up. There is an affiliate in Oklahoma City. There is a group of RVers called RV Care-A-Vanners who help build houses across the country but in October of 2009 they are scheduled to be in Montana, North Carolina, Iowa and Indiana. As the full-time (Volunteer) Construction Manager for Habitat for Humanity for Talbot and Dorchester Counties in Maryland, I often have groups that show up to work a day or two - they are always welcome and I'm sure I could put something together in Oklahoma if the group wanted to do something like that. Of course they can always use money.

Miles

Miles & Laura Circo
2004 Country Coach 45' XLII D/S

rickdesilva
12-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I think its a great idea, Oklahoma City or one of your projects would be fun. I think of we get enough interest we should go for it.:D

truk4u
12-06-2008, 06:09 AM
Great idea, Miles probably knows Jimmy Carter personally. I think it would have to be scheduled either before or after the Rally so there wouldn't be any conflicts in time. Also, there is probably a local Charity already in the planning stages, so bring extra cash!

Jdub and Mango, did you read the above extra cash request?;)

phorner
12-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Great idea about helping a build project either just before or just after the rally. Could be a POG mini pre-rally to get together and help out a deserving cause.

We would be up for it :).......

hobobimmer
12-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Deb/Eric. and Jay are willing to help. Great idea.