PDA

View Full Version : Engine Air Compressor

Jerry Winchester
06-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Started a project on Saturday to fix an air leak that ended up being the pressure regulator that goes to the air flushing toilet. After taking the regulator off, it was easier to get a replacement at Grainger’s than to rebuild it.

However, what I discovered was there was oil all over it and inside as well. I had also noticed that there was an "oily smell" in the bathroom. As the aux air compressor is "oil less" and the coach air compressor is tied to the house air, the source of the oil must be from the engine compressor.

Has anyone else experienced this? I can tell you the last thing I want to do is pull that air compressor off of there, but unless someone can identify where this oil might be coming from, that looks like the culprit.

I would also add that I ran into my local Prevost service guys when I was in Grainger’s. They were also there buying parts (I remember Jon saying you could build a coach from parts you can buy at Grainger’s) and they were very encouraging with respect to people fixing stuff on their coaches. He said that by the time they got the coach in the shop, located the leak, took the regulator off, sent someone for the parts, marked the parts up, installed them and pushed it out the door, it would have cost me +/-$200 plus three hours to roundtrip the coach from the airport to the shop.

The regulator was $13, I picked up the parts on my way to lunch and it will take about 2 minutes to put it back on while the coach sits in the hanger. The point is, don't be afraid to tackle some of these problems.

The bonus was I got about 15 minutes of tech support while they were waiting for their parts. We got to talking about "The Leans" and they said this was the most frustrating part of their job. They describe the situation as dynamic in that the problems don't always repeat themselves daily.

I tend to agree in that my coach had been parked for two weeks and it was sitting as level as the day I parked it. I have parked it before and had it lean before morning, so whatever the issue is, it doesn't lend itself to repeatability.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-26-2006, 08:28 PM
It sounds like the bus air compressor is reaching it's life's end. Look at the area where the air dryer blows out a little air at the end of the cycle. If you see oil there that might be a clue.

Joe Cannarozzi
07-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I just spent the morning stoping oil leaks. Opened up the rear floor access hatch again, wouldnt some of you like to be able to open it in 10 min like ours, but anyway, degreased it a second time fired it up at 1000rpm for 20 min and this is what I found. I was able to put a GOOD full turn on 4 of the bolts on the flange of the air compresser, It was deffinatly loose and leaking. Put 3/4 turn on the right angle adapter for the engine oil filter mounting bolts, it also stopped leaking. Tightned 2 large aeroquip fittings comming from the trans bell housing going to and from the external spin on trans oil filter, and also stopped them from leaking, one was a pretty good leak. Finally put a couple of catch containers on the 2 smaller down tubes. I am going to clean off the back doors again and take it back out for a ride, wish me luck! Is there a fifth bolt mounting the air compressor all the way at the bottom I couldnt see or is there just four, anybody know? Lets count um up that would be 6 sources of oil leaking in one morning. Amazing what you can get done when your wife is out of town! Jerry if it were me I and I had an air compressor pushing oil I would remove it soon. You do not want to pump oil into the air system, every exhaust port on every air option will put out oil, no good. Let me get a price for a compressor before someone gets one. Youll need to service your air dryer also. This should cost 75 for a kit and 150 aprox. for a rebuilt on exchange swap.

Joe Cannarozzi
07-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Jerry, My parts guy tells me he knows about, almost, exactly[HEHEHEHE] what the air compressor is without having the numbers off of it but a rebuilt is about $225 with good old core. A new regulator, that bolts directly to it, should be less than $20. Pretty basic job, once you get the floor open.

Jerry Winchester
07-07-2006, 12:53 AM
Joe,

I think the access is the only issue. I have to remove the bed and then open the door. This is an easy job on a truck.......

Jon Wehrenberg
07-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Jerry, as part of your efforts to bring the coach back to new condition plan on spending more time cleaning things up and possibly replacing some converter installed hoses (if you have some up there like I had on the other coach). The compressor on the 8V92 is a pain to access and as a result, when you do get there you will find years of accumulated grease and crud.

Can you do some pre-cleaning by getting under the coach before you open it up under the bed? It will reduce the chance of greasing up the bedroom which will get you in as much trouble as your 300 pound comment.

Jon Wehrenberg
07-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Jerry et al:

I found this site that I think everybody should be aware of. It is of particular interest to anyone that wants to learn more about their brake system.

http://www.bendix.com/troubleshooting/index.do

If you search the entire site you will find Bendix also offers schools for those who really want to get deep into the nitty gritty.