PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 2 coaches

vistaridge
11-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Hi all new member and looking for my first Prevost - well actually make that, 2. My twin brother and I both are in the market and looking forward to loading the families up and traveling the states. I've found lots of useful information here and will lurk until my depth of knowledge at least can fill a thimble. I'm an avid Italian car enthusiast and know that the hunt for the right vehichle is half the fun of ownership and makes ownership all the more enjoyable. We are both 40 and looking to relive the fond memories we had as children with our parents in a coach on the road.

Seems post 2001 edition Liberty/Marathon might be the best route at this time for our needs.

All the best,

jimshoen
11-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Take a look at the 1997 - 2000 Liberty or Marathon coaches 45'
Go rivets!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
11-04-2008, 03:31 PM
WOW, you guys are really going to have a great time looking.

2 buss's = twice the enjoyment and each of you only have to know half of all the information out there about the buss, cause you will always be able to talk to your brother to get the rest of the information.

You didn't say what part of the country you live in, which would help us lead you in the right direction and where to look. Of course the internet is unbelievable to narrow down your possibilities, but it doesn't stop there for sure.

Do they have to be matching Prevost's, NO Wait, there is no such thing... Each one of them is as individual as WELL MOST of us, Twin brothers not included. :)

Good luck and tell us a little more about some of your wants and needs.

2 MUCH FUN... :D

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Welcome to the Asylum. I know this is a long shot, but if you and your brother are going to each get a bus, I would seriously consider twin coaches.
Not exactly twins, but coaches of almost the same vintage from the same converter.

I realize tastes and needs differ, but if you are going to run the roads together your learning curve efforts will be cut in half, your need for spares will be cut in half and when you help one another with maintenance or repairs you will not have to learn twice as much.

I think you choice depends on what you want and need in a coach. The varied choices will ultimately end up narrowing what coach you will get so the first step is to start deciding what layouts or systems you need, what features you will not give up or do without, and how you intend to use the coaches. When you are done doing your homework in that regard I think which converter's coach you will focus on to buy will become apparent.

adamdegraff
11-04-2008, 04:18 PM
I totally agree with John. I would think that you should most definitely get at least two coaches by the same maker. I also agree with Jim. Rivets are oh so cool! :-)

My family travels around with me, and I have to say that it has been an absolute blast. IMO, if you plan to do a lot of moving around, I would avoid slides. I seriously considered getting a slide or two for extra living space, but once I realized that the slide walls limit walking around space and general accessibility while on the move, it was a no brainer. SO glad I didn't lay out the extra coin for slides. Now, if I were planning to stay put for many days/weeks at a time, I think I might look into a coach with slides.

How many people in each bus? Sleeping configuration might end up being your biggest issue. Just another option here for you.... we bought a marathon with the big rear carousel closet. Took out the carousel (easy!) and turned the back room into a kids bedroom. I'd say they love it, but the truth is that I love it more and often beat them to what is the best room in the house.

Good luck. Ask lots of questions and you'll get lots of answers. Some of them might even be correct.

~Adam

Loc
11-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Vistatwins,

Welcome to POG. I couldn't agree more with your plan. We purchased our first bus 6.5 years ago when the kids were 3.5 and .5 years old. We have taken them to all 48 states and Canada three different times. Even though it is a depreciating asset, it is the best investment we ever made. The time we have spent together as a family is priceless.

Based on my experience, I would want the following: a Series 60 engine with the 6 speed transmission, 45-foot coach (five extra feet makes a big difference especially if you have kids), a converter that is still in business and has a good reputation for supporting its product. Our current coach has bunks, but we did fine with a two couch set up for 5.5 years.

Make as much use as you can of the brain trust on this website. These boys know buses and if you can tolerate the high school highjinks, you will learn alot and avoid alot of mistakes.

Good luck with the hunt.

Loc

merle&louise
11-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Vistatwins,

Welcome to POG. You will get a lot of differing opinions on this site which is a good thing. My advice would be to consider a bus with 2 Prevost slides. I have had 2 slides for 3 years and we love them. They are no trouble to extend/retract - only takes about 3 mintues to deploy. I don't know anyone who regrets buying a bus with slides:D

At least take a look at some buses with slides, I think you'll be glad you did.

As an aside, I would love to see the expression on the salesman's face when you tell him you are interested in buying 2 Prevosts! Oh Baby!

Alek&Lucia
11-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Vistaridge,

Check out also Royale conversions. If you like real wood interiors they are way to go. Nice and simple not complicated buses.
What is your location ?

Alek

vistaridge
11-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Thank you for the warm regards.

We are located in Louisville Kentucky - that is Derby town to those not in the know.
No doubt finding coaches w/ bunks (no entertainer coaches) is tough. I agree w/ the earlier poster who mentioned converting a rear closet in to two bunks. - that is of great interest.

Yep ya'll are right we have identified both need to be same converter and/or at least same selling agent. Topping the list is Liberty, Marathon but other considerations are possible - but no one w/out street cred and input from previous owners. All the marketing in the world can not replace other's experience.

Would be happy w/ 1 slide as it makes dinner preparation all the more pleasant w/ the extra aisle room and kids.

Have spoken w/ Phil Cooper - however prices I don't believe are adjusted to today's market trend yet.

Not big on Royale plus they are out of biz. Owned a Monaco before, not looking for the Monaco feel in a Prevost shell.

This is a super forum and well worth the toll.

Love the antics - anything short makes for a dry environment.

Yankee802
11-12-2008, 03:24 AM
Alek, my Marathon has an all wood interior, KOA wood actually, it's frigging beautifull!! Of course it's simple and tastefull I'm sure mostly due to it's age and the style then.

Vista, the more research you guys do, the better off you'll be. There are many resources here and and at prevost-stuff, take your time, and enjoy the pre-ride, then your ride will be that much more enjoyable. I'd suggest a (couple) used Marathons or Libertys, and an older coach could be your best choice, IMHO.

Geoff

edit: Ok, the furniture and ceiling is not wood, but you guys get the point, right? :)

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
11-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Vistaridge, I see you aren't interested in a Royal, but.... There is a 2001 45'Royale LeMirage XLV for sale with Panterra Coach in Angola,IN. It has 3 bunks with a Master bedroom. I understand the owner has 2-3 coaches and used this one with his kids. Kids are grown now and the coach is for sale. It would not hurt to call and ask about it if interested. Panterra is a Sponsor of POG.
Good Luck,
Sandy

Jeff Bayley
11-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Vistaridge

Check your Private Messages.

BrianE
11-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Sandy,

We should give RidgedView the benefit of the doubt and assume he has actually inspected a Royale and that it didn't suit his taste which is just fine. If, by a slim chance, he has based his opinion on hearsay or assumption, he probably doesn't deserve to own one in the first place.

Most of us are well aware that Royale was making quality Prevost conversions long before the Monaco acquistion and that the cost to produce a superior product was more than Monaco was willing to bear, hence their demise. Royale owners are also well aware of the fact that product support for these coaches far exceeds that of some of the more "contemporary" conversion companies thanks to Royale Phoenix, Inc.

Also, the fact that a Royale with rear closet is easily converted to a family coach is something that only an observer with a creative eye would quickly ascertain. All in all we should probably not shout the virtues of our coaches too loudly, after all their is only a finite number of them available. :rolleyes:

gmcbuffalo
11-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Brian
I too have a Monaco orphan (Beaver) does this Phoenix Royale, Inc. work on other orphans?