PDA

View Full Version : Looking For The Condensate Line

grantracy
11-03-2008, 06:57 PM
The forward evaporator in my coach is overflowing water ( from just over the entry door) I opened the access panel and can see the filter and evaporator assembly but there doesn't seem to be any access to the pan or the condensate line itself. I put a call into Featherlite and was told it should be obvious to see..not. I am thinking of blowing some air back up the line from the drain line on the front of the bus...thoughts?

JIM CHALOUPKA
11-03-2008, 07:40 PM
That's an approved method Granvile. Just temper the amount of air pressure, so you don't blow the line off the fitting, or rupture it.
JIM

hhoppe
11-03-2008, 07:42 PM
If you can find the lower end of the hose I suggest using a small flexible drain clleaning brush from the bottom up. Plumbing supply or even Harbor Freight have them. Once open, a good flushing on the drain pan with water should do the trick.

rfoster
11-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Gran: I am with Harry, I found the drain exit easier to locate and used a small snake (drain cleaner outer) and went up thru the exit to the unclog the clog. Make sure the juice is off at the A/c.

grantracy
11-04-2008, 05:37 AM
Thanks, will give that method a try.

JIM KELLER
11-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Granvil, The procedure I use for this type problem is apply suction to the bottom of the drain tube with a wet/dry vacuum. Reduce the obvious size difference and duct tape the two ends together.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Sucking has the potential to pull the crud deeper into the line where it could get stuck more tightly. Blowing up the drain (as in shop air pressure) will clear the line, but the crud is now sitting in the drain pan and will eventually end up plugging it again.

I don't see any substitute for accessing the pan, cleaning the fins on the evaporator coil which are likely moldy and covered with wet dust and lint which has created the clog, and getting the pan cleaned.

If the evaporator coil and pan are not routinely cleaned the condensate on the coil ends up getting dust and carpet fibers and all the other stuff floating in the air stuck to them, eventually creating mold and making the coil less efficient. I think Joe C. posted a cleaner one time to flush that stuff off the coil.

I hate cleaning my AC filters and coil. No room to work, poor access for a vacuum hose and brush, and nasty gray dust and crud.

JIM CHALOUPKA
11-04-2008, 09:01 AM
I think the "no rinse cleaner" post came from Ed "wrongagain" our HVAC expert.

I agree with Jon's way as the best, but if you need a short term fix for right now the air will work and you have that right there in the bus. Harry's method is OK too but you have to go to the store and find the special brush.

If you don't clean the whole thing right and completely it won't be long until you have to do it again! :eek: