PDA

View Full Version : Toad Battery Disconnect?

sawdust_128
10-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Is anyone using any of the remote battery disconect systems on their TOAD? Please, how about some feedback on it?

My thinking is to install the momentary switch near the coach-to-toad power cable. Trying to make this simple and easy.

Any thoughts?

Gary & Peggy Stevens
10-31-2008, 01:07 AM
Dusty, my toad does not have a battery issue while towing, so I am sorry but I can't advise you of any devices from my own experience. :)

I have seen some quick disconnect at the toad battery products out there in the market, but have heard they also have issues you have to deal with?

Good Luck,

Gary S.

sawdust_128
10-31-2008, 01:36 AM
I have seen some quick disconnect at the toad battery products out there in the market, but have heard they also have issues you have to deal with?

Good Luck,

Gary S.

Issues such as?

Thanks.

Sawdust_128

Jon Wehrenberg
10-31-2008, 07:22 AM
My only concession to toad battery power is to put a switch in the brake light line.

With my braking system the toad brakes are applied. If the braking system was not connected the bus would power the toad brake lights. But with the Brakemaster installed I was concerned that the bus current to the brake light circuit would back feed to the computers or alternatively the application of brake lights over time would deplete the toad battery so I just put a switch in the circuit eliminating the potential for either problem.

However a battery disconnect switch such as those sold at Camping World would accomplish the same thing. I just used a switch that I located behind the grille so I don't have to open the hood. I can just reach in an switch it.

truk4u
10-31-2008, 09:11 AM
If you install the dedicated bulb kit, the lights are powered from the bus. Easy install, you just add a bulb to your toad lights.

Here's a link to the Blue Ox kit:
http://www.blueox.us/PDFS/BX8869.PDF

Gary & Peggy Stevens
10-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Dusty, Tom and Jon said it best. I have the Blue Ox Light kit on my H3 so there is no other electrical on my toad while driving.

One of the concerns with disconnecting power to the toad was the computer system and clock loosing power. And I hate it when my clock continues to flash 12:00, 12:00, when I get back in to drive the toad. :o

Some of the other guys that have been towing for several decades, should be able to give you a more detailed response to the problems of towing with power on or off on their toad.

Gary S.

sawdust_128
10-31-2008, 11:13 AM
If you install the dedicated bulb kit, the lights are powered from the bus. Easy install, you just add a bulb to your toad lights.

Here's a link to the Blue Ox kit:
http://www.blueox.us/PDFS/BX8869.PDF

I have those lights. Not quite a complete fix. I must turn key to first unlock position to free steering. Powers up a lot in the truck. I have worked around this but disconnecting battery. I want to get to the point that I have a remote disconnect switch in the grill near the towplate. Everything done from there.

tdelorme
10-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Look around on this site. This company is a first class outfit that will have something you can use and will be happy with.
http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/catalog?parentid=4792&page=1&promo=Google&adgroup=battery_switch

sawdust_128
10-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Dusty, Tom and Jon said it best. I have the Blue Ox Light kit on my H3 so there is no other electrical on my toad while driving.

One of the concerns with disconnecting power to the toad was the computer system and clock loosing power. And I hate it when my clock continues to flash 12:00, 12:00, when I get back in to drive the toad. :o

Some of the other guys that have been towing for several decades, should be able to give you a more detailed response to the problems of towing with power on or off on their toad.

Gary S.

Thanks Ger.

Some of the available remote switches have a power shunt to provide power to clocks, radios, alarms, etc while still disconnecting all the stuff that normally gets disconnected.

Thanks again Gerry,

Sawdust_128

Orren Zook
10-31-2008, 11:41 AM
I use the separate bulb harness that Tom uses, it's cheap, easy to install and available everywhere. If toad battery discharging is your issue then check to see if you have a pin on your seven wire plug that goes hot when the ignition of the bus is turned on - connect that pin to the positive post of your toad battery and it will keep the toad battery charged while you're travelling.

hhoppe
10-31-2008, 10:08 PM
My GM Toads would have dead batteries at the end of the trip. I removed the recomended fuse's with no luck. I then reverted to a heavy duty battery switch on the positive side. I have the system truk describes for toad tail and brake lights. It involved going into the trunk and drilling a hole in the tail light housing and install a new bulb holder with a two element bulb. I haven't had the guts to leave the battery switch on with this arrangement to see if it does not go dead.

sawdust_128
11-01-2008, 01:13 AM
This is what I am thinking about. I mount the momentary under the dash and never have to pop the hood to disconnect the battery. One less thing to do in bad weather. It has the optional hot feed for tose things that just need power all the time.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-converters/Battery-disconnect-installation.htm

Pros? Cons?

Jon Wehrenberg
11-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Ed,

I think that how you decide to handle the toad is almost specific to what you are towing and how the lights on the toad are routed. My Grand Cherokee required nothing more than a couple of diodes in the light circuits to prevent back feeding which made the lights act goofy.

The Hummer may be OK as far as backfeeding but it has so many computer type gizmos I did not want to take a chance I would do any damage so when I am hooked up all of the lights are isolated between the feed from the bus and the Hummer.

My pickup truck required nothing but tying the bus light power supply into the truck lights. No back feed problems there.

I do have a battery disconnect in the pickup because it needs to run with the key in it so if I forget to lock it at night at some rest stop the disconnect will slow them down. I don't need the key in the ignition in the Hummer so no disconnect for the battery because when it is behind the bus, it is locked and the key is in my pocket.

I think you just need to determine what you need to do to make the toad easy to tow and if necessary what you need to do to prevent a dead battery or goofy light action.