PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY! Trick-or-Treating location needed.

adamdegraff
10-29-2008, 11:59 PM
My kids are loving this tour. But if Dad doesn't find an A+ place for them to celebrate Halloween, I'll be in some serious trouble. (And, I'll never get them to come on the 2010-11 tour!)

We are performing in Elko, NV tomorrow night (Thursday the 30th) and then have to be in Victorville, CA for a Sunday afternoon concert on November 2nd.

I have looked at the map and come up with some potential routes. But this is territory that, admittedly, I am not that familiar with. I could make it down to a kid friendly, Vegas suburb in time for dusk. (though that is a little further than I had hoped to drive, and I don't have any knowledge of a particular neighborhood.) I could make it to Reno, Carson City, Taho, or anything around that area without going too far out of our way.

Any suggestions? Our neighborhood in Lewisburg, WV goes hog wild on this most sacred of children's holidays. So I need a great place. Also need a place that I can park the bus. And, no, I don't have a toad. So we then have to walk. Anybody know of a strategically located Walmart?

If anybody has a spooky idea for me, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

~Adam

Ray Davis
10-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Maybe you could hook up with Harry or Darl in the Reno area, park your bus nearby, and they could get you to a kid-friendly neighborhood in a car? Might be worth a PM? I'm not sure if they are in town ....

Ray

BrianE
10-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Ray's idea is a good one Adam. The residential area to the west of Virginia Street is very nice. There is a terrific RV Park at the Reno Hilton. Let me know if you can't hook up with Darl and I'll try and hook you up with my son (also a musician).

adamdegraff
10-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Ray and Brian,
both, great ideas. Reno sounds like a fun place to visit as well. Brian, did I know your son is a musician? What's his story? I'll try to contact Daryl or Harry tomorrow to see if they might have any suggestions, but in the mean time, Brian, if you happen to chat with your son, I'd be interested on his take. Only two days left:-)

~Adam

jimshoen
10-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Adam,
You are welcome to go out with my family Friday night in Reno. We will be going out at about 6 PM. Also, you can park your coach at my house. We have full hooks ups or what ever you need. My wife and I are taking out our four younger kids. They are 2,5,7, and 10. Girl, boy, boy and girl respectively. Give me a cal 775-843-8656.

dalej
10-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Jim, that is sure a nice offer!

"Jan said the other day "Isn't it something how POG members seem like a real family, they go way out of their way for people they don't even really know"

adamdegraff
10-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Adam,
You are welcome to go out with my family Friday night in Reno. We will be going out at about 6 PM. Also, you can park your coach at my house. We have full hooks ups or what ever you need. My wife and I are taking out our four younger kids. They are 2,5,7, and 10. Girl, boy, boy and girl respectively. Give me a cal 775-843-8656.

Jim,
an offer I can't refuse! Kids for my kids to trick-or-treat with, a chance for mom and dad to get to make new friends, and a place to park? Awesome. I'll call you tomorrow morning to get directions. Thank you SO much!

And Dale is right. It is neat how this little electronic community seems to bring warmth into what many might think would be a cold-as-stainless-steel topic. Brian and Beverly's son called and offered us a place to park as well. And while I hope to meet him (a fellow musician) in person at some point, I'm thinking that my kids will appreciate some "natives" to help them figure out the best candy options:-)

My best to you all.

~Adam

Darl-Wilson
11-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Adam and Jim, I am sure glad you got together. I haven't checked the forum for a couple of days and look at what we missed! Our 4 grand kids were out trick or treating here in the Galena area last night and we sure would have been happy to have the whole group here tricking us while we treated you.

I hope you took some pictures and get them posted. This is such a neat story. I know the Shoen's are very gracious folks and have a wonderful family. (I think on a good day I could out-bowl Jim but not the kids)

Anyway Adam, Martha and I are considering meeting the Hoppe's at Folsom (I haven't told them yet) for your concert on the 11th. A lot depends on the weather over the Sierra. Right now lots of snow is expected up there in the next few days. No problem for Harry and Shirley as they live on the Folsom side. We'll wait for a few days to decide. Have a great trip Adam & Family!

Darl and Martha

adamdegraff
11-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Darl and Martha,
we are sorry we missed you too. We had a blast. I'll have to put up a separate post detailing our visit. As for catching a Pianafiddle concert, please just let me know where and when and I'll leave you as many tickets as you need. Call my cell or drop me an email. adamdegraff@yahoo.com or 304-667-4501.

All my best,

Adam