PDA

View Full Version : Driving experience of XLII vs. XL?

traveling.dude
10-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on the driving experience (handling and steering) on an XLII ('01 - '03) vs. the older XLs ('98 - '00)? And 40' vs. 45'?

I'm currently considering the purchase of a '99 Royal for $250K vs. an '01 Royal for $325K. While I realize that the systems and the interiors are different, I'm trying to figure out if the newer XLIIs are worth the extra $$$s from a PERFORMANCE perspective.

Thanks,

Dude
Still looking for my first bus....

dalej
10-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Wait!...let me get a cup of coffee and watch this one weigh itself out. :)

Coloradobus
10-29-2008, 11:04 AM
traveling dude,
I will give you a few of our observations since we have owned XL,XLII, and an "H".. However,all were and are 45 footers.

XL vs XLII

XL has disc brakes steer & tag., XLII has disc brakes all axles
XL has single pane windows, XLII has dual pane, helps with noise, heat and cold ( no frost build up when below zero outside.
XL has manual telescope/tilt steering wheel, XLII air foot pedal activation
XL 45's needed a steering gearbox reenforcement update, XLII's didn't
XL riveted panel adher better than XLII, glued stainless.
XL front face can't be updated, XLII can
XL DDEC motors run cooler than the newer engines in XLII's
XL rear fenders are fixed in place, XLII fenders swing up which aids in tire changing, adding and running with chains on.
XL prior to around VIN T-5873 have a solid front axle, all XLII's are IFS

Older "H"3-45's, after mid 1998 have the same goodies as the XLII's. dual panes, tilt wheel operation, discs all the way around, cooler running motors, removable fenders.

We like our 2000 "H"3-45 the best out of the 3 we have had.
Softer riding, quieter, cooler running motor as opposed to our previous coach 2002 XLII Marathon.

Problem with all of them currently is Prevost has NO replacement window for the sides.:eek: We wonder when they will rectify this.:confused:

Gary & Peggy Stevens
10-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Dale, you better make that a POT of coffee. A cup won't last long enough.:p

Dude, you are in an extremley good place right now. STILL LOOKING, that is probably the most fun you will ever have.

1) Have you driven both models?
2) What do you like / dislike about each one?
3) Which of the ones you are looking at have MORE of the features you like?
4) Have you read EVERY Post on the POG site. That would answer a lot of these questions for you, and confuse you even more.
5) But you are STILL LOOKING, so you are ahead of the game.

Just saw Jims post "Coloradobus". He did an excellent job of telling you the differences, NOW it is up to you.

Good Luck. :D

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-29-2008, 01:45 PM
I have only owned rivet coaches, a 40 and a 45. No contest. The extra 5 feet in the 45 is worth it so much we would never go back to a 40.

Solely on the basis of future repair costs I would not buy an XLII. There is clearly a problem with bonding of the sides and those bonding issues while currently being dealt with at Prevost expense will at some time shift to the owner.

There have been problems with windows and replacement is not only expensive, but supplies have been very limited. Again, Prevost has been good about dealing with this issue, but in the future the burden shifts to the owner.

The XLII is supposed to be significantly quieter. That was not the case on the two that I drove. I could not say there was any reduction in wind noise.

If you are worried about driving a coach that looks old, get the XLII. If you want a coach that represents the most trouble free and least expensive to repair and service get the XL.

Steve Bennett
10-29-2008, 02:44 PM
I have driven quite a few of all types. I would say that typically a XLII is going to have less wind noise around the front windshield & door. They will also be quieter with regards to ambient exterior noise due to the dual pane windows, and fiberglass vs. aluminum upper skin. The 40' coaches will be a little lighter in weight, and are considerably more maneuverable do to the shorter wheelbase, and lesser rear overhang. The 40' coach will have slightly more engine & drive-train noise do to the closer proximity. The 40' coaches surprisingly also have slightly less pitching motion on the concrete freeways because of the shorter overhang. The 45' coach will have considerably more room in the stateroom/bath area than a 40'. The 45' coach can also accommodate a private water closet better than the 40'. In our area the 40' coaches are in greater demand do to the maneuverability, and the restricted roadways and length limit restrictions. In the SouthEast the 45's are more popular. The XLII did have a suspension upgrade around the 02 Chassis year that softened up the front end a bit. The 365 tire/wheel upgrade will also soften up the ride slightly by allowing lower front air pressures. John is correct in noting that the XLII is prone to more issues than the XL's. The XL coach is very straightforward in it's construction, and is less expensive to maintain. The Series 60 engine was also more fuel efficient in its' earlier versions than the newer engines are. Particularly prior to the EGR engine in the 04 chassis & newer.

rfoster
10-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Additional info XL2 vs XL

XL2 has a bit wider entrance door opening maybe 2", than XL
XL2 has power door lock engine door, Jon has keys to everyones XL.
Xl2 is approx four inchs taller than XL -a big problem if you do not have at least 12'7" door way.

Jerry Winchester
10-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Jon's dead wrong on this one. XLII is quieter hands down.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Compared to a vintage Royale with an 8V92 screaming along at almost max RPM and a Series 60 loafing along at barely above idle speed.

The Dude is looking for a comparison of two coaches 2 years apart, not a piece of history and a modern one.

My original coach and the coach I have now are so far apart in noise level, quality of construction, ride, and engine characteristics that you cannot compare older vintage 8V92 coaches with the coach years being compared.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-29-2008, 07:28 PM
So lets see some here are DRIVING pieces of history and others ARE pieces of history.

No matter I am a history buff:rolleyes:

adamdegraff
10-29-2008, 07:45 PM
My two cents... as a musician, and a person very sensitive to sound, especially monotonous road noise:

I think the XL is plenty quite. In fact, when I was in the "looking" phase, I noticed no difference between the road noise. I have not driven an H. Only XL and XLII.

As for the length... I don't see why somebody would prefer a 40' over a 45'. I wouldn't NOT purchase a 40' if I really like the bus, but if give a choice, I'd go with the 45' every time.

And hey, I like the way the rivets look. These busses have enough issues without panels randomly coming unglued and falling off :-). But really, rivets just look cooler. I don't think anybody would disagree with that :cool:

~Adam

truk4u
10-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Dude,

I've owned two 40's and a 45 and it's all about personal preference. I prefer the 40' for various reasons and I would not try to convince a new owner that anything other than a 45' is absurd. Adam's comment about why anyone would want a 40' is just that, a personal preference.

Think about how you will use the bus and make a decision based on those needs and your pocket book.;)

Good luck and keep the posts and questions coming..

traveling.dude
10-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all of your comments. While I've driven an XLII ('01) and an XL ('99), and I noticed very little performance difference between the two coaches, I value your opinions because test drives are often limited by time and roads that are not always diverse.

For example, when I bought my CC Alure glass coach, the test drive was smooth and uneventful. After a 7,000 mile trip to Alaska, my knuckles were white, and I started thinking about buying a bus.

In any case, thanks for your comments. It's very helpful during my "looking phase" to get some objective feedback.

Cheers,

Dude

Kevin Erion
10-29-2008, 11:07 PM
I had a 99 XLV 45 Marathon and now a 01 XLII 45 Marathon, both non-slide. I feel the ride is the same, noise is so close that it's not a point to be concerned about. In my opinion the single BIG difference is the size of the side windows and that the sides do not slop inward as much near the roof in an XLII. With these 2 differences the XLII gives you the feel that it is MUCH larger on the inside with a much better view.

Anyway after that I will say that Jon is correct on the cost to own, the XL will be less. I will pay a little more for the interior and the fact that my 01 looks just like a 08 to most people, plus I kinda like the smooth look, but still with the classic stainless.

Ray Davis
10-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Having just moved from a 40 ft (XL2) to a 45 XL2, I can tell you that extra 5 feet definitely makes it a bit rougher in tight spots. It's early in my 45 foot experience, however at this point, I will say I really liked the 40 ft, and felt a little more confident in tight spots.

The extra room in the bedroom and storage though is a big win on the 45.

I do think that Steve was correct in the 45 seems to pitch a little bit more. I hit one road I thought I was going to bounce off the pavement it got oscillating so bad.

Ray