PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Liberty Classic Manuals

truk4u
10-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Anyone have the owners manual and electrical information manual for my vintage Bus? Liberty tells me it's not available, so I would like to copy one if possible.

garyde
10-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Tom. I'm kind of surprise Liberty does not have a owners manual. You would think they would have this info on a computer file at least. Additionally, they sale so many pre owned Coaches they should easily come across that info.
Liberty, as I understand it, does not provide Convertor wiring diagrams with their Coaches. They do however provide number tag for each wire and that is detailed in their owners manual.

BrianE
10-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Actually this has been discussed before. The 94 XL has a very basic operators manual. The manual contains the wiring list that Gary describes. It also contains some operational instructions and very basic circuit diagrams which do not include source locations or meaningful wire labels. The good news appears to be that in subsequent models Liberty improved their documentation to ultimately equal the quality of their excellent product. Somebody owes me a beer. :D

Jon Wehrenberg
10-29-2008, 08:09 AM
This is speculation, but I suspect that Tom's request can be satisfied by any owner's manual for a Liberty Classic from his vintage up through the late 90's, and possibly a few years earlier than his coach.

If a full owner's manual is not available, anyone that has a 12 volt Liberty listing of the circuit numbers will help immensely.

truk4u
10-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Jon has a very thorough Owners Manual (96 shell) and a second manual labeled Electrical Information. His manuals are more specific to the Elegant Lady, but there were a lot of similarities.

I would like to have an owners manual close in vintage to mine, but the wire tag numbers are a must have in my opinion.

The folks in IL were not very helpful, I was kind of surprised. They didn't call back as agreed, I had to call them 2 days later, and she just made the statement the manuals were not available. I'm used to this, I had a CC remember!:p

Like Gary, I can't imagine a 94 bus costing about 600K not having an owners manual. My 94 Foretravel had a real good one...

hhoppe
10-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Truk; Call Troy at Liberty in Fl. I'll bet he or his techs will give you a straight answer to your request. I will be at my bus tomorow and I'll look at what I have that can be reproduced to help you. My 2000 Xl classic can't differ too much from your coach.
Didn't Brian give you a 5 year 100,000 mi. warranty including free road side service?

truk4u
10-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks Harry, I'll give him a try. I appreciate your offer to use your manual, but I think your 2000 has been much improved over the systems in my 94.

And yes, Brian gave me a 50/50 warranty. 50 minutes or 50 mph, whichever comes first!:eek: I think it's the same as Parkway Auto offers....

jonnie
10-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Tom,

That's a pretty generous warranty. Mine is 5 minutes, 50 feet or the street, which ever comes first.

John

Jon Wehrenberg
10-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Truk,

Not to throw cold water on your quest for info, but to point out one thing I learned. Anytime I had a problem with any of the electrical devices, the first thing I would do is look for the circuit number on the switch or the device itself.

The same number is on the CB or fused circuits in the electrical bay.

That is unless Brian carefully peeled all of the numbers off because they weren't perfectly applied and didn't look exactly right.

garyde
10-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Hi Tom. When you call Troy also say I recommend you call as well. He has a wealth of knowledge on Libertys and he has aided me many times with just a 5 minute call. He knows most systems by memory.

BrianE
10-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Jon, Actually I carefully switched them around just to confuse Truk. Jon stated the bottom line on circuit tracing Tom. The wires are numbered at both ends, both AC and DC. Also if you need serious help from Liberty Chicago you will need to talk to Bill Dougherty. By the way the tech support warranty I offered was unlimited based on my limited knowledge and Tom's nickle. :D

Jon Wehrenberg
10-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Trying to confuse Truk is like helping Tiger with his swing. The job has already been done.

truk4u
10-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Ya just can't beat a set of drawings, but I understand the comments about tags on each end and the wires being home runs. While working in the steering bay on the 5 port, there is a bundle of wires labeled A - Z. I just wanted to understand the function of those wires where they go.

I have to question the advice of a macho oyster guy in TN who recently revealed he sat down to pee:o!

JIM KELLER
10-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Tom, If I recall correctly you were the only one in the group that didn't. Poor Nancy !
P.S. Edit that last sentence and take the "s" off "sat" so everyone will understand. I have a feeling this one is going to "rock & roll."

Jamie Bradford
10-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Tom was not the only one........... Men must " stand up " for their rights!!!!!!

BrianE
10-30-2008, 10:39 AM
There is a compromise. It's called a handy sponge.

hhoppe
10-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Truk: I have the Liberty Coach Electrical Manual for Coach 428 ( my Coach )
It contains a lot of Wiring drawings. Check with Troy and see it this one will meet your needs. I would be happy to duplicate it and send it to you.
I'm sure they have this on a computer and could run a copy easy. They have a copyright notice as follows:
copyright 1996 Liberty Coach Incorporated
All rights reserved, no part of this manual may be reproduced or used in any form, or by any means.Graphic, Electronic, or mechanical, including photocopying, Redording, taping or information storage and retreival systemswithout written permission of Liberty Coach Incorporated.
Well they don't list smoke signals, so I will smoke it to you. I think they owe you a copy. But I will be happy to send you one.

garyde
10-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi Harry. I am sure Liberty has a wealth of info. I hope Truk can get them to help out. They should have abundant info which they could give him on a CD.

truk4u
11-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks again Harry, I'm still working on it... Steve Bennet had a 94 and was going to try to call the owner and see if he had one.

Gary - Also talked to Troy with no success. He didn't have any kind of suggestion for me.

hhoppe
11-01-2008, 11:48 AM
I saw a recent example of how Liberty caters to the buyers of new coaches. The bus and bikers rally in Sparks this September enjoyed the full attention of the Liberty Owner. Sales manager, and Tech crew including a semi trailer of service equipment. It is true because I wound up in their midst by accident a tech came to my assistance and helped me with some questions and a repair of my coach , for that I was grateful. As Jon has stated many times they are really only interested in repeat new coach buyers. I have to believe that attention to buyers of existing Liberty's gives Liberty value they are over looking. Where are those new buyers going to get decent values for their pre-owned units without our category of owners. This service manual indeference on Liberty's part is another example of how they view our value to them. Very short sided on their part I'm afraid. I don't believe the founder of Liberty would share their present operational values. As the econimy tightens they will need every avenue of income including service and parts sales to existing coaches.
First to go in a tight times is sale of big ticket luxery Items Busse, Boats, Planes and Harley's. Take a look over your shoulder Liberty and other converters and see what got you where you are and what will help keep you there.
I'm getting off this soap box before I fall off.

LarryB
11-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Hummmm-- I recall previous posts to the effect that 'Liberty support was excellent'. Is the manual problem Liberty, the contact person or, the year of the bus? This sound like the same BS that Country Coach owners are experiencing from that Company.

Larry

Jon Wehrenberg
11-01-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't understand the intent of your post Harry. You stumbled upon them by accident and yet they came to your aid? That's a good thing, right?

All I can say is that they have never failed to answer my questions or if I was at a Liberty or FMCA rally I never left without having any work I wanted them to do completed.

Did I miss something in between saying they took care of your problem, and that they need to take care of owner's problems?

BrianE
11-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Excellent question Larry. In the case of Tom's 94, I believe what they told me when I tried to get manuals for it. At that time the operating manual was very basic. Tom has that manual and would like to get decent circuit diagrams for the coach. I frankly don't think they exist but for Tom's sake hope that Frank K. (President of Liberty) can prove me wrong.

As to Harry's comments, I think Liberty has the capability of providing good support. My personal guess is they just don't have the manpower to provide it in many cases. My recent experience in purchasing a used coach from them was excellent and I thank Dave Wall and Troy's boys for making it a pleasure to be separated from my money.

truk4u
11-01-2008, 10:07 PM
From where I'm sitting, Harry pretty much nailed it. My very limited communication about the manual and parts leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm new to the Liberty scene and will give it patience and time.

The Manual Brian mentioned is not a Liberty Manual, but a chinsey Prevost Owners Manual labeled, "The Prevost LeMirage XL." If there is any version of a Liberty Manual, I haven't found it and it may be with the 100 dollar bills I suspect Mole Man hid in the bus!;)

In talking with Steve, the manual for the 97 he has is 180 pages. I just can't believe that 3 years earlier there was nothing but a hand shake when someone bought a Liberty and left the sales lot with no reference to anything.

I do appreciate everyones help and comments, maybe it will get me somewhere...:rolleyes:

hhoppe
11-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Jon I'm sorry I ruffled your feathers on this Liberty thing. But with Truks problem sluffed off and Dave Wall not following through on his promises to send me information on my bus when I bought it left a bad taste. Yes the techs did help me I thanked them and tipped them for their labor and paid the invoice for parts. I do appreciate them being there with parts, service and information. I just think all their customers should be on even footing with them. It's just good business practice.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-02-2008, 07:05 AM
I'm not defending Liberty Harry. If they fell on their head by not doing what they promised shame on them. That just puts them in the same category as any other converter that fails to support a customer if that is their practice. Maybe they consider it cheaper and easier to have the customer call them for help or info.

I just got confused because you indicated you stumbled upon them and they helped you and then you expressed some dissatisfaction with them.

garyde
11-02-2008, 08:08 PM
I think if you maintain a dialogue with the convertors you probably will have better luck than just a once or twice encounter. Kind of the squeaky wheel thing.