PDA

View Full Version : KR 1 Mobile Router

Yankee802
10-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Being Mango never replied to my question about this, I'll ask it here.

The KR 1 Mobile Router has a USB port, can I use my Sprint Compass™ 597 by Sierra Wireless (http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones?phoneSKU=SWC597DORA)? I don't have a PCMCIA NIC, and I currently use my bedroom PC and share it's network connection and route my wireless devices through my current Linksys, but the KR1 sounds like it would be a better solution.

Anyone? Mango? (I got this from YOUR site :) )

Geoff

Gary & Peggy Stevens
10-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Yes, Geoff, you should be able to use that wireless card in the KR-1 router. Which ever wireless card you go with, it has to work physically in the router you have.

In other words if your router has a PCMCIA slot, but your card only fits a USB port, they won't work together.

Is that clear as mud now? :confused: :)

I have that router, and I use the Verizon USB port card, because then I can use it either in the USB Slot in my laptop directly, or plug it into my Router and have wireless access all over the bus and patio.

Gary S.

ajducote
10-24-2008, 07:21 AM
This site has a LOT of info that should help you:
http://www.evdoforums.com/

If you have not bought the KR-1 yet, look at the MBR-1000. I hav ethat installed in my bus using Verizon USB Evdo and it works great.

ajducote
10-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Checck this link:
http://www.evdoinfo.com/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,115/

It shows the devices compatibe with the KR2, they no longer show the KR1.

MangoMike
10-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Geoff,

Sorry for the lack of response. My best recollection is that there is no USB port for the air card, just the PCMCIA slot. I'm not familiar with the KR2.

MIke

Yankee802
10-24-2008, 10:10 PM
OMG, do I have a LOT of research to do, now to find the best one for my application. Sometimes, it sucks having options. :)

Yankee802
10-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Decided on the MBR-1000 with the booster antenna, we'll see how it goes. It would be awesome if I could also plug in my MagicJack into the router too!

lloyd&pamela
10-26-2008, 12:17 AM
Yankee802 we love our MBR100. We have a Verizon Express card for US and Rogers Express card for Canada. The router works great. We are installing a booster antenna in our current renovations. Contact www3Gstore.com they are great guys and the tech support is outstanding.

Yankee802
10-31-2008, 11:15 PM
I received my MBR100 a couple days ago and couldn't be happier. (thank you Andre and Lloyd) Now, primarily I use my Sprint Compass 597, and it's ok. However I can also use (in conjunction or seperatly) my AT&T Tilt, and I get DOUBLE the bandwidth. (AT&T is double Sprint, if I use them in conjunction, I get 3 times my original speed) I just tether my HTC PPC Tilt and run ICS (internet connection sharing), and you can see it in the admin page of the router. I have unlimited bandwidth with both providers, but I just connect my PPC for when I want to stream video, being it supplies the faster connection. How sweet it is! :)

Jon Wehrenberg
11-01-2008, 04:31 PM
As someone who knows nothing of modern science the above post might just as well have been written in Greek, or was it???

phorner
11-01-2008, 04:41 PM
C'mon Jon.... it's easy.

Just do what I do.

To me, I'm best at looking at the pictures, rather than reading the words. Learned that from a publisher guy named Hefner...:D

Anyway, I look for the smiley face and it tells me all turned out well....:)

Jon Wehrenberg
11-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Paul, I got that part. It was everything up to the smiley that I did not get.

lloyd&pamela
11-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Jon that is a lie. You now more modern science than any ten people on the forum. Not counting all the ancient wisdom.

Yankee802
11-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Well Jon, we all can't be bus experts, even if we try. Hell, I JUST learned today about bleeding the water from the air tanks, nobody told me anything about that. I hope there isn't much more I don't know that could cause my bus harm. Now if mine was new enough to have a computer, maybe I could talk to it and tell it how much I love it. :)

Jon Wehrenberg
11-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Geoff,

Every one of us has learned our coaches the hard way. Through experience. Sometimes we get lucky and someone else gets the experience and posts it so we all can learn and react before we have problems.

One of the biggest problems any owner will have is trying to keep pace with the maintenance requirements on the bus. The house has its needs, but those are less critical, such as remembering to clean or change air conditioning filters.

Maybe others are the same way, but I have to get out the manual, not only for the bus, but even my cars from time to time just to reteach myself how to work the radio. I'm not kidding. No two are alike, so just the ability to push the right buttons in the right sequence so the radios will do an automatic search for nearby radio stations has to be relearned.

Today I have the pleasure of reading the books to try to reset all the clocks.

But with the mechanical stuff I can see how to do things. There aren't a lot of little electrons running around my Norgrens or slack adjusters so I can handle easy stuff like that without reading the book.

Yankee802
11-02-2008, 01:20 PM
You are right of course, I want to learn as much vicariously through POG and other sources as I can.

I guess I can learn the bus as I did MS-DOS when I got my first computer, by just picking up the damn book and reading, then trying what I just learned. Only problem is with this, if I broke something on the computer, no big deal, on my coach, different story. But that is what POG is for, right? :)