PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone, this weekend?

adamdegraff
10-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Yellowstone National Park.... this weekend? I know, it will be cold there. But our tour takes us right through the park this weekend. Anybody have any recommendations? We will be coming in through the north entrance. (Could come in the west entrance if it is better.) Would like to stay for two nights, take the kids to see Ol' Faithful and maybe the Crystal Geyser... waterfalls, and wildlife. We have no car. But our travel companions have a short 30 foot RV.

This is one of our rare two day vacations along the way. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,

Adam

dale farley
10-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Adam, Almost everything in Yellowstone closed by October 20th. Most stores and campgrounds closed mid Septermber. If you are planning on camping close to the Park, it will probably have to be outside the West or North entrance.

If there is any significant snow in the area, the passes will be closed. I would definitely call about road conditions before I tried to travel through the Park. I am not sure the entire Park is not closed. A couple phone numbers that may help are below. Good luck.

Park Information 307-344-7381
YNP Road Conditions 307-344-2117
Reservations (including RV Parks) 307-344-7311

dale farley
10-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Adam,

The North entrance at Mammoth should be open, and there should be herds of Elk hanging around the town. I think they will still be in their rutting season.

Also the Mammoth Hot Springs will be an interesting site. If you can drive through the Park, make sure you go through Hayden Valley or Lamar Valley for the best animal sightings and most beautiful scenery.

If the other roads are closed, there are some very nice geysers at Norris Junction, 21 miles South of Mammoth.

adamdegraff
10-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Adam, Almost everything in Yellowstone closed by October 20th. Most stores and campgrounds closed mid Septermber. If you are planning on camping close to the Park, it will probably have to be outside the West or North entrance.

If there is any significant snow in the area, the passes will be closed. I would definitely call about road conditions before I tried to travel through the Park. I am not sure the entire Park is not closed. A couple phone numbers that may help are below. Good luck.

Park Information 307-344-7381
YNP Road Conditions 307-344-2117
Reservations (including RV Parks) 307-344-7311

Thanks for the info! The park is open through November 4th, but I wasn't aware that other things might have closed earlier. I'll call those numbers tomorrow and get the low down. I've never been to Yellowstone before (well, I did go when I was 5) so all info and suggestions are certainly welcome.

Thanks,

Adam

LarryB
10-24-2008, 01:26 AM
Adam, a few years ago we stayed at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. 406-646-4466 [then]. It is in easy walking distance of town and in the office they had info on bus tours through the park.
We were there in July so not sure the tours will be running now, but maybe.

The park was nice with good size pull-thru. It is located at the West entrance to Yellowstone Park.

My 2007 Trailer Life shows a web e-dress of www.grizzlyrv.com and the above phone number is the same as listed.

I mentioned the tour as I found roads narrow inside the park. We entered the South and drove the coach to the West entrance. I was so busy driving I couldn't enjoy the sights, of course I wasn't driving a Prevost.

Hope this helps.

Wish I had found your schedule, we would have love to see your concert in Pendleton, Or. We live 50 north of there. Next time.

Larry

Darl-Wilson
10-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Adam, you probably already have this official site link (http://www.nps.gov/yell/conditions.htm) but if not you will find current conditions here. I have been all over the west, central and north of the park and I agree with Larry that the Grizzly park in W. Yellowstone is very nice. There is also a nice museum and a wildlife park there along with several restaurants. It is a great place for kids. If you enter the park at the west entrance you will have a choice to make at Madison Junction. If Old Faithful is on your list then a right turn is in order. You will be able to drive right to the geyser and should have most of the large parking lot to yourself. There are lots of geysers along this route and if you want to do some fishing you will be along the Madison River, Firehole River, and will run into(not literally) the Yellowstone River and Yellowstone Lake near Fishing Bridge. Dale and Paulette can give you lots if 1st hand info about this area. Make sure you check with the park about road conditions. The East entrance often closes early in Nov or earlier is the weather is bad.

You folks will really enjoy this trip as long as you take care concerning the weather. There are lots of turn-outs and view areas that will accommodate your Prevost and toad so slow down before your reach the well-marked turn-outs. There are usually strategically placed near an abundance of wildlife.

Have a nice trip and take lots of pictures.

Enjoy,

Darl