PDA

View Full Version : Roof paint

LarryB
10-23-2008, 01:35 PM
What is the general opinion on roof care? Do you wax it or use some other product?
How many have peeling clear coat?

Thanks, Larry

dale farley
10-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Larry, I cleaned mine very thoroughly and applied a coat of wax. I assume this will help shed water and provide some protection for the paint.

Yankee802
10-23-2008, 09:45 PM
First, what about that white rubber roof stuff? It seems to me that would be good, no?!?

Second, how the hell do you activate the quick reply ability? It says click on the quick reply icon, WHAT quick reply icon? I'm not trying to quote anyone....:confused:

Geoff

BrianE
10-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Quick reply. Bottom right corner of post. I used the white stuff on my 94 Liberty. Works great. Protects the roof very well and reflects the sun like nothing else.

Yankee802
10-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Brian,

Thanks for the help. Also, did you put it on yourself? Was it easy, expensive?

Geoff

BrianE
10-23-2008, 11:07 PM
Geoff, We had our bus painted in '04. The painter offered to do the roof for an extra $400.00. It was applied with a notched squeegy. He told me it was very easy to apply. Sorry I can't give you the name of the product but the painter was Mike Wilson: http://www.willyscustomconcepts.net. Mike painted coaches for Marathon for many years before going on his own. He is a fantastic painter.

jimshoen
10-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Just finished resealing and coating my roof. Used ProFlex RV sealant (1.5 quarts) and Temp Coat InsuAll coating (10 gallons). Sanded entire roof with 220 using a DA. Yes some of the original clear coat was flaking off. Repaired all old patches and resealed all pentrations etc. Applied two coats of Temp Coat. First coat 15 mils. Second coat 10 mils. Used the Temp Coat quick gun to apply Temp Coat product.

dalej
10-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Looks great Jim, a lot of work I'll bet.

tdelorme
10-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Jim, just a real nice job on your roof. It looks beter than new.

I thought I owned just about every tool I would ever need, but, what the heck is a DA? As in, "Sanded entire roof with 220 using a DA" Wet or dry sanding?

And, where did you purchase the products you used? Thanks!!

jimshoen
10-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Total of 40 man hours to complete the roof. Biggest concern was accidently falling off. I told my wife to come out every thirty minutes to check on me. Figured I could survive for at least that long. She checked on me once?
A DA is a double action air power sander used for automotive sanding. The unit I have is 6" round. Works great. Dry sanding. I just needed a good profile for the TempCoat to adhere to. Also got rid of all the loose clear coat and feathered all the edges. Bought the sander at Lowes, ProFlex from Camping World, TempCoat from TempCoat.

LarryB
10-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Jim, the roof looks great. A couple of questions. where can this product be found? How is it applied? Is it smooth after application so as not to collect dirtand water? Is white the only color?

Thanks, Larry

Yankee802
10-24-2008, 11:55 PM
And price too, any drip/spill worries?

Larry: I would think white would be the only color, or at least the only color you would want, maximum heat reflection.

Geoff

jimshoen
10-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Go to Temp Coat web site to find the product. They did not have a dealer in Reno so they sold me direct. The product can be brushed, rolled, or sprayed.
Brushing or rolling will not produce a good appearance. The product can be sprayed with either an airless sprayer or a "Quick Gun" which Temp Coat sells. I used the quick gun, and although the appearance is not as good as you can get with the proper airless, it is OK. The finish is lumpy. The product is 85% solids, so the technique to spray it is tricky. After the first coat I finally figured out how to get a smoother finish. Marathon has been using Temp Coat 101 on all their Coaches for some time. I used Temp Coat Insulall. Call Temp Coat, they are very helpful. If you can get the proper airless, I would recommend using that instead of the Quick Gun. The product can be tinted just like white paint. My main concern is to reduce heat gain so I left it white. The finish shed water, but it will probably collect more dirt than paint. Temp Coat is $40 a gallon. I wrapped the entire bus in painters plastic and tarped off the area all around the bus out to 5 Feet. A little overspray was taken off with Goof Off.

LarryB
10-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Jim, last question. What is the upkeep requirement for the Temp Coat?

The job looks great! 40 hrs to do, sounds like alot of roof time. <G>

Larry

jimshoen
10-26-2008, 10:56 AM
The upkeep should only be to wash it off when it is dirty.
Most of the time was spent in prep and repair.
Properly taping off and cleaning and sanding and cleaning again is a big job.
The actual spraying of the product took 6 hours for both coats.
I had a helper who accounted for 16 of the 40 hours.