PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Yankee802
10-22-2008, 11:27 PM
I am begging for help here, this situation makes me SO frigging mad! :mad: My coach is registered in Florida, my normal insurance is with USAA, but they don't do RVs, so they have an agreement with Progressive. We are stationed in Virginia, my Florida registration for the bus is up for renewal, and they want proof of insurance first. They (FL) don't have a problem with any of my 3 cars, and here is where the problem starts:

Florida REQUIRES a Florida insurance policy. Progressive will NOT write me a Florida policy because we currently reside in Virginia (Navy orders). I will NOT register in Virginia, we don't have a permenant residency here, we don't like it here, and intend to go back to Florida first chance we get, and refuse to pay yearly personal property tax on ANY vehicle. So does anyone have ANY suggestions or pull with Florida and/or its DMV?!? I can't believe there are NO accomidations made for military stationed out of state.

:mad::mad::mad:

jello_jeep
10-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Are you sure it makes no difference if you are under orders?

Even here in California, if you are active military, they give you a wide berth (Navy talk inserted here for you) :)

Your state of residency normally does not change when on active duty.

Make sure whom ever you are asking about this actually knows their stuff too.

The same argument could be presented to the insurance company actually..

Best of luck..

garyde
10-22-2008, 11:43 PM
One of our Sponsors, Explorer RV. Try them for Insurance.

Yankee802
10-23-2008, 12:03 AM
I talked at length with Progressive about this, on two different occasions, and excalated to a supervisor both times, no change.

I'll check out Explorer RV tomorow, along with Geico, guess it's time to shop, hopefully it's just progressive with the jacked up rules, and maybe I'll get a cheaper rate.

On a side note, even IF Progressive would write and honor a Florida policy, it would be almost DOUBLE in premium. What I don't understand is that when we transfered to here in Virginia, the rates went UP for our cars, yet if I were able to get a policy for Florida for the bus, it is almost DOUBLE the Virginia policy. WTF?! :mad:

10-23-2008, 08:28 AM
I would follow Gary's plan, call Explorer and forget USAA and Progressive, I am a USAA member and they cannot compete with RV specialty companies on rates. I am convinced that USAA and their partners take advantage of current and X military, and jack up rates.

Depending on how much you are being quoted for insurance it might make sense to ask about a quote that states that you are from Florida but that the bus will not have its primary garaging in Florida, and if it does you will let them know, as you are a full timer on the road. The question then becomes, what is a full timers rate verses a part timers insurance rates, which is higher. Also is it time to consider good old Montana LLC???

sawdust_128
10-23-2008, 10:48 AM
I talked at length with Progressive about this, on two different occasions, and excalated to a supervisor both times, no change.

I'll check out Explorer RV tomorow, along with Geico, guess it's time to shop, hopefully it's just progressive with the jacked up rules, and maybe I'll get a cheaper rate.

On a side note, even IF Progressive would write and honor a Florida policy, it would be almost DOUBLE in premium. What I don't understand is that when we transfered to here in Virginia, the rates went UP for our cars, yet if I were able to get a policy for Florida for the bus, it is almost DOUBLE the Virginia policy. WTF?! :mad:

I dealt with Kraig at Explorer. Understands the business and is responsive. I know there have been a few less than sterling reports on them, but that was quite different than my experience.

Kraig Kelly
Explorer Insurance Agency
P.O. Box 568 Richfield, OH 44286
Phone: (888) 774-6778
Fax: (330) 659-6687
kraig.kelly@explorerrv.com (kraig.kelly@explorerrv.com)

Yankee802
10-23-2008, 01:51 PM
I dealt with Kraig at Explorer. Understands the business and is responsive. I know there have been a few less than sterling reports on them, but that was quite different than my experience.

Kraig,

Not to be picky or an a$$, but how did you deal with Kraig at Explorer, if you are Kraig at Explorer? :confused:

Geoff

dalej
10-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Goeff,

He was just giving you the information that you might need. I'm quessing it was just a cut and paste job.

sawdust_128
10-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Goeff,

He was just giving you the information that you might need. I'm quessing it was just a cut and paste job.

You got it. BINGO!

Yankee802
10-23-2008, 09:37 PM
LOL, ok I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$ or anything. Anyway, I called Florida DMV and had to be escalated to a 3rd level supervisor before being told that there was an exception for military and it was simple and no problem at all. What I want to know is why the hell don't ALL the DMV clerks know about it?!? All I have to do is supply our orders and it's all good. Man, what a PITA this was!!

sawdust_128
10-23-2008, 10:50 PM
LOL, ok I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$ or anything. Anyway, I called Florida DMV and had to be escalated to a 3rd level supervisor before being told that there was an exception for military and it was simple and no problem at all. What I want to know is why the hell don't ALL the DMV clerks know about it?!? All I have to do is supply our orders and it's all good. Man, what a PITA this was!!

No big deal. DMV certainly causes all some issues at some time or another. Glad it all worked out for you.