PDA

View Full Version : Better watch your shore cord, Now!

Coloradobus
10-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Never ceases to amaze us!!

BREAKING NEWS
Wisc. Copper Thieves Target RV Electrical Cords
RV Business
Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Copper thieves in western Wisconsin have targeted a new source for their criminal activity – the recreational vehicle market.

The Associated Press reported that Chippewa County sheriff's officials say copper thefts have declined at scrap yards, but thieves have turned to RVs' electrical cords, stealing at least nine cords in the past couple weeks.

In Chippewa Falls, Country RV's Darla Crogg says the first time someone cut a couple electrical cords from the RVs on her lot she didn't even report it, believing it was a random incident. Then thieves returned to steal again. The 25 to 30 foot wires cost as much as $45 to replace.

Sheriff's Capt. Eugene Gutsch says three other camper owners reported the cords being cut from their vehicles parked on their property.

10-22-2008, 04:40 PM
There are a lot of cheese eating Gypsy types in Wisconsin, and you cannot trust a single one of them. I never trusted my Sister-In-Law for the very same reason.

$45 bucks, cost $145 for labor to reinstall the dam thing, and the cord has to cost the same as a boat version, several $100 as well

I chain my Surge protector to the pole, I guess it is not enough anymore. I'm running out of locks and ways to lock down what I have. How could one possibly secure their power cord??

phorner
10-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Bruce,

I've found it to be effective to hang a couple of my used silhouette targets near the power pedestal and in the Jeep.

There's usually a nice 6" or so hole in the middle from 50 rounds or so, give or take a couple in the middle of the head....

So far, no one has messed with anything, and my neighbors are real, real nice to me :D

10-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Forget the copper problem, I bet stainless steel has to be worth a lot as well. I go to my bus daily or certainly every other day to check in and see if all is well. I am now expecting to see the bay doors missing.

In Europe real Gypsy's from Poland and the rest of eastern Europe travel in packs working their way up to the Netherlands in the summer and retreat back in the fall.

I have heard of similar groups working here in Florida picking off dealers. I bet we are all next.

I'm thinking that a properly placed grenade under the power cord might be the only deterrent

wrongagain
10-22-2008, 06:28 PM
I know for a fact they have a nifty little trip wire paint grenade.
Saw them at a paintball place, they throw about a 15 ft circle, its washable so, no damage to the bus.
Just call the cops and have them look for the bright blue guy running down the street trying to wipe the paint out of his eyes.

tdelorme
10-22-2008, 08:33 PM
I'd like to know where they come up with that $45 replacement cost. I just bought a new 30 ft. 50 amp cord set and paid $370 for it. Mine wasn't stolen, it was, nah, I ain't gonna admit what happened. I am an experienced RV'er who would never make a stupid mistake like driving off while still hooked up, so I'll just say I wanted one of those new yellow ones and leave it at that.

garyde
10-22-2008, 11:13 PM
The 50 amp cords look like a great find for a thief who wants to sell it for the copper until they find out over half of the cord content is rubber not copper. Most of these criminals have no brains whatsoever, I have photos of guys who have been fried while trying to steel live 5000 volt cable right out of live feeds. Their buddies just leave them, not pretty.

sawdust_128
10-22-2008, 11:30 PM
I know for a fact they have a nifty little trip wire paint grenade.
Saw them at a paintball place, they throw about a 15 ft circle, its washable so, no damage to the bus.
Just call the cops and have them look for the bright blue guy running down the street trying to wipe the paint out of his eyes.

You can actually paint the crook in the color of your choice.
http://www.paintball-online.com/paintball/Paintball-Grenades-And-Mines_prods_165

Now. Now. Note these are officially banded from POG rallies.

Yankee802
10-23-2008, 12:28 AM
The 50 amp cords look like a great find for a thief who wants to sell it for the copper until they find out over half of the cord content is rubber not copper. Most of these criminals have no brains whatsoever, I have photos of guys who have been fried while trying to steel live 5000 volt cable right out of live feeds. Their buddies just leave them, not pretty.

:D LOL, now THAT is what I call poetic justice! :D Oh how I like it!

Joe Cannarozzi
10-23-2008, 08:24 PM
I think we definitely need to keep Ed away from Mike and Jerry.

wrongagain
10-23-2008, 08:44 PM
After some of the things I have read about those two and their desire to redecorate and enhance the appearance of the coaches, "tinfoil, blowup sheep, etc, I have started a savings fund for a portable constantina wire fence.
:rolleyes:It might not stop them but it should slow them down some.:rolleyes: