PDA

View Full Version : Unique Alternator Problem - Solved

MangoMike
10-21-2008, 09:16 PM
The power of POG lives on!

I had been having intermittent charging issues on the house side with the H3 for the last couple of trips. The last trip returning from Michigan it just wasn't charging at all and the hi/low battery light was illuminated. (on the Marathon this idiot light has no icon, just a square red light).

I was assuming the worst figuring either to rebuild the alternator or it was some issue with Vannar.

A quick email to Jim Lane (Colorado Bus, also a 2000 H3 Marathon owner) was returned with a phone call that same day.

Jim asked me a couple of questions including," is there any change based on engine RPM's". And I said in fact there was, when I was decelerating the idiot light would go off. At that point he said I know your problem, your alternator is fine and the fix is simple.

I was in awe awaiting his answer.

There is a small sensor on the right side of the engine, just above the primary fuel filter. Very small about the size of a half dollar. Jim said just check the two wires that attached to the sensor, I'll bet you'll find one loose or some corrosion. The next day I made quick trip to the bus barn and checked this sensor, the wire immediately fell out of the connector.

(No idea what this sensor does, but it does have one of the alternator oil coolant lines attached to it).
UPDATE: According to Toy Box this is an oil pressure sensor. No pressure, no charge.

A new connector, some electrical tape to thwart moisture and I was back in business. The alternator was charging like a mother.

Now the important thing here was not the fact that I saved myself a ton of aggrevation, time and money but the whole POG system worked. Jim had experience the same problem and was willing to share that information. How long do you think it would have taken someone at a repair shop to come up with that answer?

I am very grateful. Thanks Jim.

POG RULES.

MM

tdelorme
10-21-2008, 09:33 PM
The first trip in for repair would run 8 hours labor plus a new alternator. Say, 2 grand total. The return trip? Won't even guess but the repair shop will start acting like it's something that you've done that has never happened before.

Can you mail Jerk Chicken? Worth a try.:)

adamdegraff
10-21-2008, 10:11 PM
This is a great story. I can tell you all that between my posted questions and the answers I received, and the wealth of info in the archives and articles, I have saved literally thousands of dollars. Maybe close to $10,000 at this point.

Nice folks too!

Adam

garyde
10-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Great example Mango. Beats me how much Lew $$ I have saved over the last few years. It's substantial, but the time and frustration have been reduced to a minimum as well. The pay off however is just meeting and getting to know everyone in this group.

dale farley
10-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Just the emotional/psychological support of knowing you can ask a question and get an answer (even if it is wrong) is very valuable.

I had a problem with one of my tractors last week, and was rather disappointed when I came in the house to post my problem, and realized there is no TOG (Tractor Owner's Group).

Toy Box
10-22-2008, 09:14 AM
It's an oil pressure switch. No charge until engine senses enough oil pressure.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-22-2008, 09:16 AM
What's the matter with it Dale:rolleyes:

Did you fix it?

truk4u
10-22-2008, 09:21 AM
That's POG at it's best boys!!:p Kuto's to the C-Bus.;)

dale farley
10-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Joe,

It's a Ford 5000. I was bush hogging a field of nothing but weeds, and for no apparaent reason, I lost my PTO. Just ceased to turn. I checked the fluid in the rear end and made sure it was full. When I move the lever to engage the PTO, nothing happens. Never had a PTO problem before on any of my tractors, and I know nothing about this part of the tractor. Due to other priorities, I have not yet chosen to disassemble it.

wrongagain
10-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Dale,
There is such a group, I know because I am a member and a tractor owner also.
www.tractorbynet.com (http://www.tractorbynet.com)

dale farley
10-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Ed, I didn't know the group existed. Thanks for the info.

MangoMike
10-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Mel Torme: Sounds like you've been there. Done That.

Toy Box: Thanks for the description I'll update the post.

Dale: You're right about the need for more self informing Forums. I've been on the lookout for WOG to solve some serious mechanical problems. (Wife Owners Group) ;)

mm

mike kerley
10-22-2008, 10:58 AM
MM,

Never happen in this country (WOG). They own us! Especially if you decide to change one!!!!!!

Joe Cannarozzi
10-22-2008, 01:32 PM
All is well in POG land where all the girls are pretty and all men handsome.