PDA

View Full Version : Heating the fresh water tank

merle&louise
10-21-2008, 08:28 PM
During the Santa Fe rally (POG #2) I mentioned having a problem with the ground water being very cold. When taking a shower the Aqua Hot would run out of HOT water. Someone suggested (I believe that it was JDUB) filling the fresh water tank in the morning and turning up the bay heaters to warm up the ground water that was filling the tank. That way the Aqua Hot was heating 70 degree water instead of 50 degree water. I have tried this and it works, but it just seems like there is a better way.

Has anyone installed a heating element in their fresh water tank to provide a truly endless supply of hot water? I know that Aqua Hot claims that you can have an endless supply of hot water, but I think we all know that is not the case.

jack14r
10-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Tuga, My Liberty has an endless supply of hot water with a 20 gallon hot water heater and a inline hot water heater behind that,the inline will only work with the generator because it draws 38 amps on both legs.The inline will raise 1.5 GPM 40 degrees,it is plumbed to the shower,(but that is where my wife needs it).

truk4u
10-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Tuga,

I had Aqua Hot in 2 plastic CC's and they truly would not run out of hot water while diesel fired. You have probably beat this to death, but there must be something wrong with your system.

I would take the Aqua Hot over the Webasto any day, due to it's 110v heating capabilities when you don't want to use diesel.

garyde
10-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Hi Tom. My Water Heaters have 120 volt circuit for heating the water as well as Webasto or engine. Are you sure you don't have 120 volt.

merle&louise
10-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Tuga, My Liberty has an endless supply of hot water with a 20 gallon hot water heater and a inline hot water heater behind that,the inline will only work with the generator because it draws 38 amps on both legs.The inline will raise 1.5 GPM 40 degrees,it is plumbed to the shower,(but that is where my wife needs it).

Jack,

Is the inline heater an Aqua Hot system or something else?

Tom,

In my 1993 Newell the Aqua Hot would provide a hot shower for about 7 minutes then after that it cooled fast. This coach (1999) does a little better than that. If I follow JDUB's routine of filling the fresh water tank and allowing 12 hours or so for the bay heaters to warm up the cold water supply my wife can take her usual 15 minute scalding hot shower. I was just hoping that someone else has come up with a solution to this problem. So far it sounds like Jack has the solution: an inline water heater.

merle&louise
10-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Tuga,

I had Aqua Hot in 2 plastic CC's and they truly would not run out of hot water while diesel fired. You have probably beat this to death, but there must be something wrong with your system.

I would take the Aqua Hot over the Webasto any day, due to it's 110v heating capabilities when you don't want to use diesel.

Tom,

If I use only the Aqua Hot's 120v system for heating water I will have only enough hot water to wash my hands. After that it is all cold. It was the same way on my previous Aqua Hot in the 93 Newell.

I wonder if we have different Aqua Hot systems? Mine is a Model 431/12. It looks exactly like Loc's unit (2002 Millennum).

jack14r
10-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Tuga, I have a Titan N-85 inline water heater which is after the 20 gallon heater and only for the shower,my wife cannot run the hot water out in the shower,this only works with the generator on because of the current draw.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-22-2008, 06:39 AM
We have the 22 gallon Raritan HW heater which uses an engine coolant heat exchanger or an electric element. That has always proven ample. But we always draw from the tank, and rarely use city water direct. Our water bay stays pretty warm so the delta T is not significant.

Loc
10-22-2008, 07:11 AM
Tuga,

I have yet to run out of hot water using the AH. I am always the last to get in the shower and even after the boys 20 minute play/shower and Courtenay's 15 minute shower the water is still piping hot. Sometimes the gray water tank is not large enough, but never a hot water problem. Of course by stating this I am assured of a hot water issue on my next trip.

Loc

phorner
10-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Tuga,

My experience with the Aqua Hot was that it would not maintain continuous hot water while on 120 volt electric only..... the diesel burner HAD to be on to maintain endless hot water, which in my case it did.

Of course, we've NEVER run out of hot water in the Liberty...:D

merle&louise
10-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Well that settles it: I am calling and ordering a new Elegant Lady first thing when I get to my office. Anybody willing to lend me $2.2MM?:D

jack14r
10-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Wachovia can't loan it!!!

truk4u
10-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Gary,

My point about 120 in the Aqua Hot, I could turn the system on in the garage in the winter on 120 and run mild heat to the coach or any other source such as hot water, engine and water bay heat exchanger without running the diesel. I always left the bay heater on when it was cold using the 120.

The CC had no bay heat other than the Webasto, so if your in the garage and it gets really cold, a space heater is the only answer. Take note CC guys, you only have Webasto bay heat unless someone has added an electric heater, winter is comiing.

The Liberty has a temperature controlled electric bay heater and so did the Marathon.

Joe Cannarozzi
10-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Tuga I would be looking for an open valve that may need to be closed.

The way you get cold water before you even get your hands washed is that red flag for me. I bet you are drawing off the cold and warm side togeather.